JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I retire my 8810?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underquark, you made me laugh out load. DH was sitting right next to me and wanted to know what was so funny. Fortunately when I answered him that something on the Jp1 forum was funny, his eyes glazed over and he didn't want to know any more. You almost outed me!
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was able to fire up my old XP computer and get RMIR V2.05, build 9 installed and running. When I tried to install my TCL P605 Roku TV upgrade onto my wife's 8910 remote, I got the following message in RMIR:

"Protocol ID exceeds 01FF, not valid for this remote. An Alternate PID is required."

I'm not sure what to do next.

Incidentally the P605 Roku TV upgrade is a work in process described in another thread (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100890).

Thanks for any help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
"Protocol ID exceeds 01FF, not valid for this remote. An Alternate PID is required."

If you get this message, there should also be a box labelled Alternate PID in which you can enter a different value. The Roku (Official) protocol has PID = 021A, which is beyond the limit supported by most older remotes. Just enter a value such as 01FF (or smaller) in the Alternate PID box.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks Graham. I just chose 01FF.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, all,

I just thought I'd close this thread out to thank everyone for their suggestions and entertaining comments.

Upgrading the 8810 using my old XP computer was far easier than I thought it would be. I was able to install the latest version of RMIR and Java with no difficulty. Java complained that my computer was really too old for the latest version, but I could install it anyway. I did and it works fine. My old parallel JP1 cable worked flawlessly. I had the alternative PID issue, above, but that was easy to solve. It takes 20 minutes for the old PC to boot up so I wouldn't want to use it very often. That won't be necessary, and I'll keep it around awhile longer just in case I have to do it again.

I'm going to migrate to the OARUSB04G in the near term. I've got one for me and one for my wife all ready to go, I just need time to soak up Graham's excellent documentation.

The only bad thing is that I'm struggling to get my remotes to control my TCL P605 Roku TV fully (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100890). So, despite my best efforts so far, my wife is going to have to suffer some minor inconvenience for awhile <smiles>.

Thanks again for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: