JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (TV version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vickie. I'll stand by. In the meantime, do you recommend just repeating the command in the macro?

Also, why would it work sometimes and not others? Or maybe I just think it's working sometimes and it's really never working?

Ed
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned a couple more tidbits while standing by.

First, sending multiple instances of the discrete on command inside the macro accomplishes nothing. I should have expected this. Second, if I map the discrete on command to a real remote button and push that button, the TV comes on every time. The "bad" behavior only happens when the discrete on is within a macro. Third, the HDMI1 command I send to switch devices to the TV inside the macro works fine inside the macro once the TV is powered on. I also had a toad tog configured at one time to use as "discrete on" inside the macro and when I was using that toad tog, it executed every time too.

I've managed to avoid learning about the macro duration issue for a lot of years, but it does seem like that's what's going on after doing a bit of casual searching. It's also clear that I can't fix this problem myself <smiles>.

Another thing that confuses me is why does the discrete on work inside the macro when the remote is "warm" and not when it's cold? Does something happen inside the remote when it sits awhile?

I see that the OARUSB4G has configurable durations for keys in macros. It seems like it's time for me to start learning that remote and extender!

Thanks again for any help.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
...I see that the OARUSB4G has configurable durations for keys in macros...
Ed, thanks for this reminder. I found it on P11 of the Extender's Manual, in section 4.5 Special buttons for macro control.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Tranx. I'm looking forward to replacing both of my remotes with OARUSB4G's pretty soon, but I need to get my existing one's (including my wife's 8910) running first.

A couple other tidbits I've discovered. First, the official Roku protocol uses subdevice 194, and I've coded 199. I'm going to see what happens if I change to 194 while I'm fiddling around. (I saw a reference to repeat behavior, and that sounds interesting, but I otherwise know nothing about protocols or durations, repeats, etc.)

Second, I created a macro on Xshift-1 that simply issues the "discrete on" 3 times. I can press this key on the remote and hold it for a long time and there is no change in behavior. The TV doesn't come on.

Ed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another TCL owner recently confirmed TV does not respond to 194 at all. Even if it did, changing the sub device has no effect on repeats or duration.

Nevo also has variable duration macro commands built in. Bonus is you could add nice icons for your streaming apps.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I don't have internet at home, and am dangerously close to my cellular limit, so I'm pretty much isolated from the internet. I've just downloaded your file to a thumb drive to have a look. This is going to be slow since I have wifi access.

In the meantime, I have taken a look at the Roku Official executor , assuming that is what you've used in your upgrade.

The roku is supposed to send two types of frames of data. I'm not sure which kind of is supposed to repeat, but it sure isn't macro friendly the way it was written. This version has one of the first one, and two of the second frames.

Code:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 02 1A (S3C8+) PB v4.02
 43 8B 21 8B 12 CF 44 08 08 01 21 03 30 01 21 00
 FD D2 DC 11 94 08 B6 E4 05 06 60 06 20 11 F6 01
 46 E6 0D 02 46 05 01 56 06 FE 46 29 01 8D 01 46
End

Make sure to save a copy of your RMIR file.

Double click on the 02 1A protocol executor,
A protocol editor screen will open up.
There is a button just below the list of processors, on the right. Click this and another box will open.

Paste everything from the word Upgrade through the word End into the box

Close that box,
the click SAVE

02 1A should now have a * next to it and the word custom will appear somewhere.

Give it a try and see if that does the trick.

Otherwise I'll change where the repeats should go.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

Thanks very much for your help. I will follow your instructions below a bit later this afternoon and post my results. In the meantime, I have a couple workarounds in place. First, I serve as my wife's remote. Second, I have a separate macro set up on the FAV key on my remote to turn my TV on via a shift-power command (that command works in a macro). Thus, to watch dish TV, I press the FAV key followed by the CBL key, which does everything else necessary with my other devices.

A couple questions/comments on your instructions.

I'm not sure what executor I'm using. I've never gotten to this depth before <smiles>. When I open RMIR to this device, the setup page says Roku Official as the protocol in the drop down menu, Protocol ID 02 1A. If I open the protocol editor for this device, the name is Roku Official (custom). I'm not sure what that means.

I'm not sure what to double-click to bring up the protocol editor, but if I click on my TV device on the main RMIR screen, I can click on a button labeled "Protocol Editor". That brings up a pretty complicated-looking screen that includes a button labeled "Import Protocol Upgrade". If I click on that button, I get a box into which I could paste your upgrade. Is that what I need to do?

By the way, I have no idea what the protocol upgrade means <smiles>.

Finally, you'll see me again over on the "Should I Upgrade My 8810" (actually an 8910) thread after I get things working on the RCRP05B. Seems like the protocol upgrade will be dependent on the processor in the remote.

Again, I understand you're short on internet bandwidth and I'll be very patient. Thanks again for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to follow Vicky's instructions and created the following RMIR file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14761
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I'll load it up and see what happens later this afternoon.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I loaded up the RMIR file with the protocol updates recommended by Vicky and coded by Rob. There was no change in behavior. The discrete on did not fire.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to try.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed, I took a look at your RMIR Rob patched for you, and I see that protocol upgrade is there, as advertised. That is something that just got fixed since 205 build 4. When you look at the device upgrade page, you should be seeing a * on the TCL Roku Upgrade and the word "custom" in the variant. I did and I popped it open, and it does show the variant that is going to send one frame, and then flip the bits and send 2 copies of the final fame, which should be long enough to turn on your TV especially since you said other items are working.

So I tried to see what you are doing in your file. I read in your notes

Quote:
V5.1 adds Discrete On (Home) EFC 092. This version removes the associated "Discrete On" Toadtog for the TV and replaces them with the new discrete. It also replaces the toad tog off with shift-Power. Seems to work pretty well. One problem noted: If watching Antenna TV and you switch to cable, it goes ahead and switches but keeps the ask screen on the TV. Pressing OK would fix that. DVD works for BluRay, CBL works for SAT, and, besides the previous point, TV works for Antenna TV

Moved the EFC from "DiscreteOn" button to Phantom1 button. Next step would be to try a "real button".

---TV- phantom1->Home Discrete

---TV- DiscreteOn has a keymove called Home2

---TV -phantom1 has a keymove called Home (Discrete On)

---TV - phantom 4 is a toad tog 1, testonly that calls TV-phantom 1

But for the life of me, I can't find the macro that is supposed to call TV phantom1 or TV phantom4.

I am trying to figure that out. Are Home2 and Home BOTH discrete Ons?? I see that TV-DiscreteOn->Home2 gets pressed in Shift-TV but not the key that you called. Or am I missing something??

EDIT:
If Home2 IS the key that turns the TV on when on a real button, how long do you have to hold it down when the TV is cold? We can play with the duration. We might need have more repeat frames, although that would cause the other repeating keys to start repeating too. There are lots of things we can do here.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for sticking with me, and apologies for my messy coding. It's the product of several iterations where I was throwing several ideas around to try to make my macro work. Regarding your specific points:

When I open Rob's file in RMIR I can see the upgrade is there as you coded it. When I open the protocol editor, the protocol name is listed as Roku official (custom), but that's what it said before I imported your upgrade. I don't see a "*" anywhere, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. It also occurs to me that I'm using an obsolete version of RMIR. I'm using V2.03, build 12. Should I upgrade?

Regarding my coding, I put a two different "discrete on" codes on two different buttons, just to see if one worked and the other one didn't. The DiscreteOn button is mapped to the "Home2" EFC and the Phantom1 button is mapped to the DiscreteOn (Home) EFC. The corresponding EFCs both turn the TV on to its home page when the TV is off.

The version of the code you're looking at doesn't use Phantom1, it uses DiscreteOn instead. DiscreteOn is called by Phantom6, which also calls Phantom4, which I used to use to track the on/off status of my TV. I'm not using it here.

So, again apologizing for my sloppy coding, here is what I'm currently testing: Short press CBL calls Phantom3, which configures keys (except volume) to operate the satellite dish, calls xshift day+, which invokes phantom6 on a short press, and phantom 6 is the "main" macro that configures my devices to watch my satellite TV, including issuing the "DiscreteOn" to the TV. Again, I had been fiddling with using different discrete EFCs in that macro to see if anything would work. Nothing did.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again very much for sticking with me.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was editing my post, while you were posting.

So Home2 is supposed to work turn on the unit and does from a real button but not from a macro.

How long are you pressing the real button to get this to turn on? We may need to add even more repeats.
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home2 isn't used at all in the version you're looking at. My comments got out of synch with what I actually got to.

In another iteration of this process, I put the discrete command on a real button on the remote. When I press that button, the TV comes on every time.

In yet another iteration of this process, I programmed a global macro on a "pressable" button that switched to DEV_TV and issued a "discrete on" EFC three times, and nothing else. When I pressed and held the macro button for up to 5 seconds, nothing happened with the TV. It did not come on.

If I use a shift-power in the same macro as mentioned above, the TV comes on every time, no hold necessary.

Other EFCs for this TV work from within a macro. The discrete on is the only one that does not. Moreover, that same discrete works fine outside of a macro; i.e., when mapped to a remote button that is pressed.

Thank you again!
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Vicky. I'm getting absent-minded here.

The Home2 "function" is mapped to the DiscreteOn "button" in this version of my code. Neither the DiscreteOn (Home) "function" nor the Phantom1 "button" is used. Apologies for the confusion.

Here is, I hope, a concise summary of what I'm seeing:

When the remote is "cold"; i.e., it has been sitting idle for more than about 30 minutes, then none of the discrete on function codes I've found will turn on the TV within a macro, even when that discrete on is the only command in the macro and I hold the macro button for as much as 5 seconds. These same codes, however, will turn on the TV if they are mapped to a physical remote button and that button is pressed outside of a macro. Moreover, all other TV functions seem to behave as expected when executed from within a macro; i.e., only the "discrete on" seems to behave abnormally.

When the remote is "warm"; i.e., it has been sitting for less than 30 minutes or so, everything works fine. In particular, the same discrete on EFC that doesn't turn the TV on in a macro when the remote is "cold" will turn it on in a macro if the remote is warm.

I really appreciate your help. Please advise if I should to anything else to assist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: