JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (TV version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates, but tardy.... Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
Thanks, Rob -- numbers first -- I should think like a math major!

With leading zeroes, no less! Wink
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Some results for the TCL P605 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I jumped into the TCL/Roku fray yesterday and bought a P605. Like NOAMattD, I'm trying to upgrade my RCRP05B to handle the TV. I tried to pick up where this thread left off and wanted to report my findings so far and seek assistance from those in the know.

First, I loaded mdavej's TCL Roku TV file, http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14655, into my remote. This upgrade uses sub-device 199. I used Power to turn on the TV, then used the right button and OK to select Antenna TV. Then I tested each of the functions while in Antenna TV mode, with the following results:

None of the number keys did anything
Volume keys, including mute, weren't tested because my remote is set to control volume via my receiver
Channel up/down worked as expected
Power worked as expected
Menu brings up a screen with options to navigate to various other pages; Home, My Feed, Movie Store, TV Store, News, Search, Streaming Channels, and Settings
OK works as expected
Up and down work as expected. Up and down also function like channel up and down in Antenna TV mode
Left and right function as expected. Left also brings up a list of available TV channels while watching TV
Exit brings up the Home screen
PrevCh works as expected
Play, Pause, Rewind, or FastFwd not tested because I was in Antenna mode
List brings up a list of available channels when in Antenna mode. This is the same list as that obtained by pressing Left
button6E does nothing
Dash brings up an input menu

This seems fine to me, except I would like to get the number keys working because I do use Antenna mode from time to time.

My next step is to load selected Roku commands from http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12733. I stopped when I noticed that this upgrade uses sub-device 194. Should I just change that to 199 and enter the appropriate codes for the corresponding functions into the previous upgrade?

I suspect I could learn the Roku codes but I thought I'd check here first to see if there is a quicker way.

If I get this working, I'll publish the upgrade I'm using to the file section for the P605.

Thanks for any help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the number buttons work on your original remote? My TV has Roku built into it and I expected that the number buttons could be used to enter channel numbers, but that is not the case, they're only useful (if you consider this useful) when there is an onscreen keyboard displayed.

As to the quickest way for you to get moving, you could indeed learn the number buttons from your original remote to see what codes they use and then add them to your upgrade. The whole process of learning and transposing should take no more than 10 minutes, where it may well take more than 10 minutes for a Roku expert to see this thread and respond.

If you find that they use different device codes or something else, you can seek further advice here.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.

Well, the original remote has no number buttons, so I suspect that's why they don't work. I should have mentioned that. My apologies for failing to do so. I guess this TV just doesn't respond to numbers. (I was hoping that the numbers would work even if they didn't appear on the original remote.)

When using the onscreen keyboard, my only option was to navigate around the keyboard using the up/down, left/right buttons.

I'm going to assume that I can copy selected Roku functions into the upgrade I've built, assuming they'll work with sub-device 199.

Thanks again for the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, if you have an upgrade loaded that includes number buttons, when you're in the onscreen keyboard, see if the number buttons work. I suspect they will.

Now, in my case, this was nowhere close to being useful, so I programmed my numeric buttons with the discrete codes for the various inputs/apps and I arranged them to match the onscreen selection.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm close to having an upgrade working that mirrors the OEM remote for the TCL model P605. I built it based on mdavej's two files and phb's post of EFC's earlier in this thread. I also did an exhaustive search of all EFCs in the range of 1-255 in search of discrete on commands. I did not search codes while the TV was on, because I didn't want to put the TV in a state I couldn't recover from, so, among other things, I don't have a discrete off code.

I haven't tried the number keys yet when using the virtual keyboard. I agree with Rob, though, that this would not be very useful to me.

I'll post my upgrade to the file section after I've tested it more, perhaps fix the strange problem I'm having (below), and after I've upgraded my wife's 8910 with it. A couple observations:

phb's "Antenna TV" code, EFC 110, actually launches the Roku media player on my TV. Maybe different TCL TVs respond differently to the same codes? Regardless, I could use a discrete that takes me to Antenna TV. I may have missed it when I was doing my search, so I may try that search again.

After the exhaustive search for discrete on codes, I noticed that some of phb's codes actually function as discrete ons. There are several more EFCs that turn the TV on when it's off and go to various pages of the interface or to various streaming sources.

I have one rather strange problem I'm trying to solve and I thought perhaps some of the more experienced folks here may have seen it and could help me. I chose one of the EFCs that took the TV to its "Home" page as a discrete on and mapped it to the "Discrete On" button of my remote (RCRP05B). I built that into a macro to power up the TV and related devices, and I have a macro on my "Power" button to shut everything down, just as many here do.

The problem I've encountered is as follows: Suppose I have all my devices and TV on, then I shut everything down with my Power macro (I use shift Power in the macro to shut the TV off). Then, if I try to turn everything on again using the "power on" macro, everything, including the TV, comes on just fine unless I wait for awhile, say longer than 30 minutes. If I wait too long, the TV does not come on when I press my macro button. If I press the same macro button repeatedly, the TV repeatedly fails to come on. If I fire the same EFC to the TV outside of the macro, the TV comes on as it should. Thus, it appears that the macro is skipping the discrete on EFC when the remote is "cold". That makes no sense to me. It's especially puzzling since the macro works exactly right unless the remote (or the TV?) is "cold". I'm struggling trying to figure out what to do next. I've never seen this problem before.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the power macro on RCA can’t be changed without the extender.

EFC search with the TV off is pretty useless. I think the risk of harm is very very low.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response.

I am running the extender version 1.05 on the RCRP05B. I should have mentioned that.

EFC search while power off reveals discrete power on, but nothing else, so not totally useless. If you're saying the risk is low doing a search with the power on, maybe I'll give that a try, but I'm going to try to fix this strange behavior first.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your RMIR and RM files so we can take a look at your macro and the associated functions.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

The problem I've encountered is as follows: Suppose I have all my devices and TV on, then I shut everything down with my Power macro (I use shift Power in the macro to shut the TV off). Then, if I try to turn everything on again using the "power on" macro, everything, including the TV, comes on just fine unless I wait for awhile, say longer than 30 minutes. If I wait too long, the TV does not come on when I press my macro button. If I press the same macro button repeatedly, the TV repeatedly fails to come on. If I fire the same EFC to the TV outside of the macro, the TV comes on as it should. Thus, it appears that the macro is skipping the discrete on EFC when the remote is "cold". That makes no sense to me. It's especially puzzling since the macro works exactly right unless the remote (or the TV?) is "cold". I'm struggling trying to figure out what to do next. I've never seen this problem before.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Theis sounds like a classic duration problem. In an extender macro there is typically only one frame of a signal sent in an extender macro. Only the last key is held. Try rearranging your macro so the non working key is the last key on the macro and it should work.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my RMIR file here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14760

I was going to try your suggestion, Vickie, but I didn't because the non-working key (a discrete on) has to fire before I set the input to HDMI1. (Or, maybe I don't understand your suggestion.)

This file has quite a bit of junk in it. With my old Vizio TV and my Onkyo receiver, I had some elaborate pauses in place to make sure these devices were warm before I sent them commands, and I kept track of when they were warm. I'm pretty sure I boiled all that junk out of the subject macro, which is on the "Phantom6" key. Basically, if the remote (or TV?) is "warm", then all commands fire correctly. If I wait more than 30 minutes or so after the TV has been turned off, the "DiscreteOn" key doesn't fire, or doesn't appear to.

I hope it's not too confusing. I'm a lousy programmer.

Thanks for any help.

Ed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The risk with TVs is stumbling across a code that wipes the EEPROM clean or something like that, these codes are very rare and usually well documented as a DON'T USE THIS type of code. Generally speaking, an "on" search of codes will reveal codes that bring up menus that allow you to adjust the color calibration, etc of your TV. If you come across one of these codes, just document it and move on, but don't make any changes in that menu unless you know what you're doing, and if you do decide to make changes, write down all the current settings first, so you can restore them.

Input codes acting as discrete on codes is not un-common, so no surprise there.

Are you testing the codes by loading them into an upgrade, or are you trying the EFC each time? It's generally easier to use upgrades, and it's usually more logical to use OBCs rather than EFCs as the functions will often be grouped together.

Either way, the valid range is 0-255, not 1-255.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you testing the codes by loading them into an upgrade, or are you trying the EFC each time? It's generally easier to use upgrades, and it's usually more logical to use OBCs rather than EFCs as the functions will often be grouped together.

Either way, the valid range is 0-255, not 1-255.

I load the codes into an upgrade. Looks like I missed code 0. Thanks for the suggestion on using OBCs. Next time I'll sort the functions by OBC.

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I posted my RMIR file here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14760

I was going to try your suggestion, Vickie, but I didn't because the non-working key (a discrete on) has to fire before I set the input to HDMI1. (Or, maybe I don't understand your suggestion

When you can't put it as the last key, the other thing to do is modify the protocol to force a repeat. I was going to take a look but I don't have an internet connected PC right now

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

I was going to try your suggestion, Vickie, but I didn't because the non-working key (a discrete on) has to fire before I set the input to HDMI1. (Or, maybe I don't understand your suggestion

When you can't put it as the last key, the other thing to do is modify the protocol to force a repeat. I was going to take a look but I don't have an internet connected PC right now

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: