JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help understanding LKP on OARUSB04G Extender 1.04

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshtx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Need help understanding LKP on OARUSB04G Extender 1.04 Reply with quote

I have an OARUSB04G, with Extender 1.04 installed. I've configured all of my Device Upgrades. I'm trying to add a couple LKP macros, but they don't seem to work as I expect.

What I want:
Press the [dash] (lowest left button) to toggle TV input source
Press and hold the same button to toggle my HDMI switcher source.

In my device upgrade, I've assigned the [dash] button to the [input toggle] function (EFC 185). Nothing assigned for Shift or X-Shift on that button.

Then I've added a Key Move as follows:
Device Button: TV
Key: Shift-Dash
Device Type: STB
(assign it to the function needed to change the HDMI switcher)

I also added another Key Move, as a test:
Device Button: TV
Key: XShift-Dash
Device Type: TV
(assign it to the "input toggle" function, which should be the same as the unshifted button.

I've defined an LKP Special Function:
Device: TV, Key: dash
Type: LKP, Duration 4
Short Keys: dash
Long Keys: Shift-Dash

The problem:
Pressing the dash button for a short duration does *not* perform "input toggle".
Pressing the dash button for a long duration *does* perform the HDMI input toggle, as it should.
Pressing XShift-dash *does* perform the "input toggle" function, so I know I have the right code.

I do not understand why assigning "dash" as the "short key" does not run the "input toggle" function.

As an experiment, I changed the LKP function so that the "Short Key" is assigned to XShift-dash instead of just dash - and now it works as expected.
Short press on dash performs input toggle on the TV
Long press on dash performs input toggle on the HDMI switcher.

Technically, I have *solved* my problem, but I don't feel like I have a solid understanding of how or why. Can anyone explain why assigning the short key to [dash] does not perform the "input toggle" function? Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of a button as box that can hold one function (or macro). A shifted button is a different box. You just press two keys to open it instead of one. For xshift, that's yet another box. But you press 3 keys to open it (two shifts and the associated button).

You put TV Input in the Xshift-dash box, and HDMI Input in the Shift-dash box. The Dash box itself is still empty.

Since you have no function at all assigned to dash, it's no surprise that it doesn't do anything.

The correct LKP, as you've discovered is:

Short key = TV Input = Xshift-dash (not dash because nothing is assigned to dash)
Long key = HDMI Input = Shift-dash
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshtx wrote:
I've defined an LKP Special Function:
Device: TV, Key: dash
Type: LKP, Duration 4
Short Keys: dash
Long Keys: Shift-Dash

Your short press appears to call the same key that the LKP is on. You can't do that. Remember that LKP is just two macros, so the short press runs a macro that presses the key that the LKP is on. You should not expect that to work. Your working version has the short press of dash running a macro that presses XShift-dash. That does work, it's a different key.
joshtx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember that LKP is just two macros, so the short press runs a macro that presses the key that the LKP is on

Thanks, I get it now. I was thinking I was defining the LKP macro in terms of functions (EFC codes), and the way to specify the function is by specifying the button that is assigned to that function. But in reality, it seems like macros don't know anything about the underlying functions - they're just pressing buttons.
Thank you for the clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: