JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LG OLED65E6V codes for XSight Touch remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewilley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm curious, why did you specifically say that a LONG press makes the remote send an RF signal? It's prompts the question, what would happen if you used a SHORT press?

As far as I know, the XSight IR-learn facility requires you to press and hold a button down for a couple of seconds before it properly detects and saves the data. I did try a short-press, but nothing registered that way either.

The trouble seems to be that long-pressing the Search button on this OEM 'Magic Remote' triggers a different function (a speech recognition search using the remote's microphone), which is RF-only.

[Edit] I tried un-pairing the RF functions of the 'Magic Remote' from the TV, after which the remote does emit a learnable IR code... but when I fire that back at the TV, the TV just pops up a box saying that the remote needs to be paired first. One step forward and one step back...

Andre
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the best way to learn a remote is to use a long press of the teaching remote button, but this isn't always the case and it's certainly not required.

The long press is preferred because it allows the learning remote to capture the repeating pattern of the signal, whereas if a short press is used, the learning remote will capture what it sees, so if it just sees 3 repeats, for example, it will just send 3 repeats when you use the learned signal. But there are some remotes that only send a short burst, there is no repeating pattern, so learning works for those too.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did manage to learn some short codes after I unpaired the RF connection, but the TV still says "need to pair remote", even for these two functions which can be completely D-pad operated. I bet I'll never use those buttons, but it'll annoy me knowing the list isn't complete. Smile

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'm gonna guess that you're completely out of luck regarding those 2 buttons, unless you can find a hack or alternative solution by Googling.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Then I'm gonna guess that you're completely out of luck regarding those 2 buttons, unless you can find a hack or alternative solution by Googling.

The trouble is, searching for "IR code Search" tends to just thrown up a ton of results of people searching for codes, not looking for the world "Search" specifically. Smile I'll see if LG can offer anything, but otherwise give up.

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
There are 256 possible OBC's (ie, 0-255), create an NEC1 Device 4 Test upgrade with the unused OBCs, to see if they turn up anything new.

I had already considered doing that. Between the base set I started with, the ones from the LG manual, and the ones in an older LG Master Spreadsheet, I've already tried about 60%-70% of the possible codes anyway, so I might just cut'n'paste the remainder into a cloned copy of my current working set and see if any do anything. The dangerous ones I've found so far are mostly in the 250-255 range, and they are PIN coded anyway.

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick reply from LG, apologising that the 'Search' function is only available via RF command.

However never one to be discouraged by what a manufacturer says can't be done, I had already started doing a brute-force check of all the unlisted OBC codes and found one that does indeed trigger the Search page. I found a few other hidden codes too while I was at it.

The 'Screen Remote doesn't seem to be present though, but honestly it's utterly useless anyway and the four activities it offers can be done in other menus anyway.

So I've got as close as I'm going to get with this, and will upload a copy to the files section.

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now uploaded as http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14745 . I hope I got the format right.

Andre
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you found your search! Congratulations. I've updated my master spreadsheet with the new codes you found.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewilley wrote:
I had a quick reply from LG, apologising that the 'Search' function is only available via RF command.

However never one to be discouraged by what a manufacturer says can't be done, I had already started doing a brute-force check of all the unlisted OBC codes and found one that does indeed trigger the Search page. I found a few other hidden codes too while I was at it.

I hate that! I mean, if they don't know, just say so, don't lie to us as it just makes us not trust them even more. As it is, I never trust anything I am told by these companies anyway.

I hope you reply to them and tell them how wrong they are, tell what the actual OBC is.

But congrats on finding the code, none the less.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I see you found your search! Congratulations. I've updated my master spreadsheet with the new codes you found.

Thanks. I did find a few others which were just duplicates of existing codes too. I may also have missed things that needed to be in a specific mode to do anything (for example there might have been an 'Exit Store Mode' code which wouldn't do anything unless you are already in Store Mode, or a dup of Discrete Power On which would only show up if the power was already off). For completeness, the dups did I find were:

52 Ch+
53 Ch-
56 Subtitle
115 Vol-
116 Vol+
172 OK [i.e. central D-pad button]
235 Discrete Power Off

The Robman wrote:
I hate that! I mean, if they don't know, just say so, don't lie to us as it just makes us not trust them even more. As it is, I never trust anything I am told by these companies anyway.

I hope you reply to them and tell them how wrong they are, tell what the actual OBC is.

Yeah, I know what you mean! And yes, I did respond giving them the IR code for Search and saying that I would be fine with them adding it into their documentation. Smile

To be fair, she did give a detailed and informative response about IR vs RF codes (and the supplied remote actually does only issue an RF command for Search rather than IR) rather than the brusque "this isn't something that they keep a record of so we wouldn't be able to pass this on to you" that I got from Pioneer UK relating to my similar Onkyo enquiry. That of course is a lie, as I have a copy of Onkyo's huge IR codes master spreadsheet that covers every device up to 2013, I just wanted an updated copy. Still waiting to hear back from Onkyo US though.

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LG replied thanking me for the new information and saying they would take note, and that if I needed anything else be sure to contact them. Kudos to their team for being so gracious.

Pioneer UK also replied and, even after I sent them a copy of Onkyo's own 2013 spreadsheet, said they weren't prepared to check further: "This is the information that has been relayed to me from our technical department in our head office. Unfortunately if they are unable to provide me with these there isn't much more I can do." So thank you Pioneer for being useless.

Andre
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that Pioneer and Onkyo were one in the same, but I see they have in fact joined forces...
https://www.cnet.com/news/pioneer-electronics-onkyo-combine-to-keep-pace-with-competition/
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I didn't know that Pioneer and Onkyo were one in the same

No, nor me, I was quite surprised to hear back from Pioneer in fact. Actually, it probably doesn't help that one customer service team is trying to handle enquiries for both companies.

Andre
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: