JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LG OLED65E6V codes for XSight Touch remote?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: LG OLED65E6V codes for XSight Touch remote? Reply with quote

Split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100990

This is my first time trying Remote Master (after the EZ-RC website for the One-for-All Xsight Touch was sadly closed down earlier this year) so please be gentle with me! Smile So far I've been used to the official (and really simple) select-from-list hand-holding wizard method, so this is all a leap in the dark for me and I don't want to screw up my remote which is working perfectly at the moment apart from needing a new TV added.

1. Device: LG OLED65E6V
2. Type of device: TV
3. Year: 2016/2017
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC8603 One-for-All Xsight Touch
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No, just a plain USB connection
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes, most are quite old and can't see a recent generic LG version
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? No (this is not a Pronto device)
9. Partially working setup code? Not yet tried, don't want to experiment and break something...
10. Learning remote question? Yes
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes, my remote-control is not listed

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this, but none of the files listed for LG seem recent enough to potentially cover all the features of this sort of newer OLED set, and I really don't want to just start installing stuff randomly at the risk of breaking my trusty universal remote control (I have made a backup in Remote Master, but have never needed to try to restore it). Just want to know where to start really. Thanks.

Andre

Last edited by andrewilley on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your fear. The first thing I would do is start with a download and save my file off as INITIALDOWNLOAD. Then I would save it off as your working file. If you screw anything up, you can just upload the INITIALDOWNLOAD and be right where you started.

Most LG TVs use a standard Nec1 Device 4 signal. So does yours. So most of the upgrades in our file section will work. In addition LG is really good about supplying remote specifications. On page 22 of your manual it gives the hex code for all the buttons on the original remote. If you need something from the original remote, we can converth those hex codes to decimal and entered into the OBC upgrade on the functions page. In addition most of the LG TV's that I've seen support discrete codes for the inputs but I couldn't find them in your manual. Discrete codes are really nice for an activity.

I'd start with this LED TV upgrade since it has discrete inputs and discrete aspect ratios.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12953

Add this Device to your working.rmir file assign the functions to the buttons the way you want them and add any information from the original remote.

When you get all the functions in, save off your device and upload it to the file section here, so that the next guy can find the remote with all the necessaary functions.

If you have ANY questions about the configuration, don't hesitate to ask. We understand the learning curve here is pretty steep.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that a try at the weekend once I've got this new TV up on the wall.

I had already made a backup of the current Xsight Touch setup in RMIR anyway, the first thing I did when I installed the software. I assume backup/restore is pretty simple and painless if I do manage to screw anything up.

I'm sure this software is really powerful and flexible once I get into it, but while the pretty wizard option was still around I just took the lazy way out.

If and when I get this working as I want, I will certainly upload my config info back to 'pass it forward'.

Andre
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EZ-RC site really did a good job of holding your hand as it stepped you through the process, so I can totally see how RMIR could be intimidating by comparison, but once you get the hang of it, you will see just how much more power that it puts in your hands. If you haven't done so already, please read the "Getting started with Xsight and Nevo" wiki page.

As Vicky has pointed out, most of our LG files should mostly work for you. If you find buttons that are on your LG remote that are not in the file, you can use your Xsight remote to learn the signals from the LG remote. Then, you could just leave it there if you like, as the learned signals will work, or, you can use RMIR to read the codes values behind those learned signals, which will give you the ability to add the missing functions to the upgrade file that you downloaded.

From a high level point of view, RMIR is really 2 programs in 1. RMIR itself is used to program and manipulate your remote, so it is a collection of upgrades, learned signals, macros, activities, etc, etc. Built into the RMIR program is a second program called RM, which just focuses on the device upgrades themselves. This can be run as a stand alone program, or from within RMIR. When you double click on a device upgrade in RMIR, it opens a new panel in RM mode where you can edit the upgrade. From here, you can save off the upgrade as a *.rmdu file (separate from the *.rmir file that you saved from RMIR). This *.rmdu file is the one that Vicky suggested that you could load into our file section for your LG tv.

The really cool thing about JP1 in general is that we don't put any restrictions on what you can do with your remote, unless the remote itself doesn't allow you do to something, so you can often do programming that would have been impossible without using JP1.
andrewilley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I cut the apron strings (so to speak) and risked writing data back to the XSight Touch for the first time - fully expecting a loud bang and smoke to start emitting from it - and it worked perfectly.

I've now added the LG code set recommended above and that is giving me pretty much all the functionality I need, and I've edited my Macros and Activities to use the new device and that's all working well too.

I think the biggest worry was that there are so many options, acronyms, codes and adjustable numbers everywhere that it all looks very daunting. However if someone else has already done all that hard work when creating a device code set file, none of them need to be touched and the basic functions are pretty easy to work with.

Thanks for the help and encouragement everyone. Now to see if I've got all the functions covered or if I need to add anything.

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
In addition LG is really good about supplying remote specifications. On page 22 of your manual it gives the hex code for all the buttons on the original remote. If you need something from the original remote, we can converth those hex codes to decimal and entered into the OBC upgrade on the functions page. In addition most of the LG TV's that I've seen support discrete codes for the inputs but I couldn't find them in your manual. Discrete codes are really nice for an activity.

Thanks for that, I managed to track down the version of the manual with the RC codes listed - how very helpful of LG (unlike the rest of the pamphlet manual and their online guide).

There are indeed a few IR codes for this set which are not in the basic code file that I downloaded. I assume all I need to do is go to the Functions tab in the Device Editor, and use the 'New' button to create a new entry? Typing in the OBC value (as decimal, converted from the hex codes in LG's list) seems to generate a full entry. Is that all I need to do? If so, I'll fill in the blanks and label them and save a copy back in case anyone else might want it.

Andre
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's all it takes on the Functions tab, but you should assign them to button on the Buttons or Layout tab. That way you can use/test them.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked that upgrade simply because it said Discretes in the title and SMART in the description.

I see that in MY LG upgrade I have one more discrete code that wasn't on the list of discretes that I use. We turn on/off closed captions all the time, and it was buried in a menu, that my DH would never have found.

57 Closed Caption

The other discretes are the same as my much older dumb TV.

90 AV1 (Discrete AV1 Input Selection)
208 AV2 (Discrete AV2 Input Selection)
191 COMPONENT1 (Discrete Component1 Input Selection)
212 COMPONENT2 (Discrete Component2 Input Selection)
206 HDMI1 (Discrete HDMI1 Input Selection)
204 HDMI2 (Discrete HDMI2 Input Selection)
233 HDMI3 (Discrete HDMI3 Input Selection)
218 HDMI4 (Discrete HDMI4 Input Selection)
119 Ratio 16:9 (Discrete Only 16:9 Mode)
118 Ratio 4:3 (Discrete Only 4:3 Mode)
175 Ratio Zoom (Discrete Only Zoom Mode)
197 POWER OFF (Discrete Only Power Off)
196 POWER ON (Discrete Only Power On)
213 RGB-PC (Discrete RGB-PC Input Selection)
214 TV (Discrete TV Input Selection)

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Yes, that's all it takes on the Functions tab, but you should assign them to button on the Buttons or Layout tab. That way you can use/test them.

On a traditional remote, you need to assign this to a button to use. In the Xsight you can also use functions in a macro without assigning them to a button.

gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
gfb107 wrote:

On a traditional remote, you need to assign this to a button to use. In the Xsight you can also use functions in a macro without assigning them to a button.

Ok, but they must be assigned to something in order to be used. Defining the function on the Function Tab is not enough.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I'm new to the Nevo/xsight remotes, and not having to assign a function to a button in order to use it in a macro was a welcome surprise to me. That was especially important given the limited number of buttons when compared to an extended traditional jp1 remotie

andrewilley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked perfectly for adding the other IR codes from the list in the LG manual.

I also found and downloaded the 'LG Master List' Spreadsheet from the files section, which has even more codes to try - including the InStart and E-Z Adjust functions for getting into the Service Menu, which I was looking for too. Result!

Andre
andrewilley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting distracted by the Onkyo amp issues, I've just come back round to finish off the codes list for the LG OLED TV. I've merged the initial set downloaded from here with the codes listed in the TV's manual, and added all the extra codes given in the LG Master spreadsheet from a few years back. I now have a pretty comprehensive (and tested) set of everything that appears to function on this TV.

However there are two buttons on the supplied remote which I can't solve. One calls up a "Screen Remote" page (not vital) but the other is the "Search" button which could well be very useful. Unfortunately I can't learn them from the OEM remote because long-pressing on those two particular buttons only sends RF signals rather than IR (I checked by watching the emitter LED using an IR-sensitive mobile phone camera) so I can't get them into my XSight Touch to find the final OBC codes.

Any ideas how I can find these last two button codes, as before I upload a set here I'd really like it to be 100% complete.

Andre
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the manual doesn't list it, there is a good chance that there isn't an IR code for this.

As a last resort, there is the brute force search method. There are issues with this, you can brick a TV if you press a bad sequence of commands. That said I have done several brute force OBC searches on LG TVs and have not bricked one.

There are 256 possible OBC's (ie, 0-255), create an NEC1 Device 4 Test upgrade with the unused OBCs, to see if they turn up anything new.

Good Luck

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewilley wrote:
However there are two buttons on the supplied remote which I can't solve. One calls up a "Screen Remote" page (not vital) but the other is the "Search" button which could well be very useful. Unfortunately I can't learn them from the OEM remote because long-pressing on those two particular buttons only sends RF signals rather than IR (I checked by watching the emitter LED using an IR-sensitive mobile phone camera) so I can't get them into my XSight Touch to find the final OBC codes.

I'm curious, why did you specifically say that a LONG press makes the remote send an RF signal? It's prompts the question, what would happen if you used a SHORT press?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: