JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nevo C2 defective up arrow button?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eah123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Nevo C2 defective up arrow button? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem. I bought a Nevo C2 on ebay from China. It was working great. Then after a year, the up arrow button would not respond unless pressed very hard. Then I bought a used Nevo C2 (probably from former pro installer) a few months ago. It was working great. This month, I started having the same problem.

Just ordered another Nevo C2 from China.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this is very common. Buttons on these wear out in a few years. At least they're cheap.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried fixing any of yours yet Dave? Do any of the old button remedies work on them?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried without success. Problems are that all contacts are those sealed dome type contacts and that remote is hard to open without breaking the tabs. I've taken at least one apart. I can dig it out and post some pics. Xnappo has also taken some apart.
eah123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried taking it apart ... no way without permanent damage.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the domes were longer lasting than the rubber buttons. I'd be curious if you were able to diagnose why the buttons stopped working on the one that you did take apart? Of course, if you can't open them without breaking, it might not do much good, unless it gives a clue to some preventative measure we could take.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that worries me on these remotes is the USB cover that breaks off and then you get that little rattling inside the remote. I've broken 2 of them so far and I've tried to be sooooo careful. I would imagine that is going to be a problem.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After mutilating a couple, I was able to finally get one open with minimal damage. See this post:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=124304#124304

Not sure if it's true, but I've read in the past that dome contacts aren't as long lasting as the used to be because they no longer contain lead. This subject has come up with other devices like calculators and similar reliability complaints. Perhaps the lead makes the metal less brittle, as is the case with lead in solder versus lead free.

I've attempted to repair dome contacts in the past on Harmony remotes by simply cutting off the dome and gluing aluminum foil to the button. But I never could get this kind of repair to last very long, plus you lose the click and the button sits lower.

I'll take a closer look at my failed buttons and see if I can figure out exactly what goes wrong. I remember in my Harmony remotes, the dome would eventually split or stop springing back.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing with the Nevo is the clip on the battery door breaks off really easily. I broke mine of the day the remote arrived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: