JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Activities on off
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jriker1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know that's what I'm doing because I would think that's how it should work. In my own mind. Or can't the XSight or other remotes RemoteMaster support handle how Harmony remotes work. The power button, like every other button, is set to a certain function or macro, based on the activity you choose. At least that's how my Harmony 900 works.

Never going to get my father to understand to push the red button to turn off the devices when doing the Watch DVR activity, and press the blue button when on the Watch MCE activity, etc. Guess I'm confused why for any given activity, I can assign each set of buttons to be run by a certain remote, like volume use the TV remote but rest use the DVR remote functions, but with the power button I can only assign one "macro" across all activities.

Or is it a limitation in programming the macros that they can only be tied to one button on one device? Either way, would think these remotes "could" be programmed like a harmony but maybe not.

Thanks.

JR
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem whatsoever doing what you want (Assigning distinct power macros to each activitiy's power button). or what Harmony does. But you've violated the rules of even what harmony can do. You've confused Activity power macro assignments and Device macro assignments. The TV Power button on the TV device can only do one thing. Harmony is no different. If you go to device mode in Harmony, I guarantee you that the TV power button can only do one thing. In fact, on the 900, it can't even do a macro (sequence).

You can most certainly put a different power macro on each activity power button. But when you have 3 macros all assigned to the same exact button in the same device, what do you expect to happen? How does the remote know which of those 3 macros on the TV Power button to execute? All the remote knows is you're in TV device mode and pressed the Power button. Like Harmony, it cannot read your mind. So move them to distinct buttons, like putting the DVR one on DVR Power, etc. This is all changed on the Macros tab. The activity power button assignments are fine. Just make sure you confirm each is pointing to the right macro after you re-assign them on the Macro tab.

The Power button for each activity is an entirely different matter. It can point to any other macro on any other device on any other button. And it can be different in each activity. It CAN"T point to 3 different macro all assigned to the same button. Neither can Harmony.

I'll try to explain.

Imagine the remote memory is a vending machine. You press J5 and get crackers, or B7 and get chips. The machine knows to spit out the thing in J5 when you press those buttons. Problem is, the stock person loaed crackers, cookies and candy bars all in J5. So you could get any of those when you press J5. Let's say this is a smart vending machine you can control with your phone by just picking cookies, crackers, whatever, without using the row/column codes. The program in the phone is like an activity. When you run the crackers activity, it knows to tell the machine to dispense J5, chips activity - B7, etc. There is no problem having each activity despense a different thing. But if you put all different things in the same place - J5, odds are you won't get what you asked for.

The fix is simple, just put the DVR power macro on DVR Power or TV Phantom1 or AUD FFwd or Bluray Soft1, assigning each to a unique button. Then the activity power macro assignments will now stick because they're all pointing to their own macro rather than pointing to multiple macros all assigned to the same button. Your Dad won't have a problem because in TV device mode or Watch TV activity, Power runs the TV power macro. In DVR device mode or Watch DVR activity, Power runs the DVR power macro. The way you've programmed things, in TV mode, the last power macro on the page runs every time. In DVR mode, only the DVR power command executes because you haven't assigned anything different.

Do you see what I'm talking about on the Macro tab, where all 3 of your macros is assigned to TV Power and how the remote can't distinguish among 3 differnt things on the same device button. Also realize that the TV Power button and Watch TV Activity Power button are entirely different things.

If this still doesn't make sense, I'll post my revisions to your file that work exactly like you're asking.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the method I always use, no matter which universal remote I am programming.

I pick a button that will be used for Discrete ON. If the remote I am programming has a phantom button named "Discrete On", that is the one I use.

For each DEVICE, I use ONE of the following methods, listed from most desirable to least desirable:
  1. If this device has a discrete power on command, I assign it to the Discrete ON button for this device.
  2. Find a workaround for that device (for example - "0", "exit" will power on some cable boxes). I create a DSM on the Discrete ON button
  3. If the device consumes approximately the same amount of power whether on or off, I don't assign anything to the Discrete ON button
  4. Create a ToadTOG on the Discrete ON button, if this remote supports it
    I follow the same process for Discrete Off. Some newer devices don't have a power off, or even power toggle, but they go into a stand-by mode after a given amount of time and wake up with any button press. I try to find a button press that really doesn't effect the state of the device and assign it to the Discrete ON button for this device and don't define Discrete OFF.
For each ACTIVITY macro the power handling is pretty straightforward. I program Discrete ON for each device that should be on for that activity, and Discrete OFF for devices that are not needed for that activity. The ALL OFF activity is Discrete OFF for each device in the system.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jriker1
I replaced the file you posted with a zip containing your orginal file (Bob1) and my corrected file (Bob2). Mine works as you requested. The only thing I did was pick a different device for each macro on the macros tab, then select the appropriate power macro again for each activity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: