JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EFCs for Roku (TV version)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phb1342

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: EFCs for Roku (TV version) Reply with quote

Moderator note: TCL Roku master file is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26531

I need some help - a little rusty I guess.

I bought a TCL Roku TV 32S305, also called Roku TV 5140x, (in Settings). This has the Roku style remote, mine has Netflix, Amazon, CBSNews and Sling as favorites.

Being older now, my muscle memory from using the 6131, 8820, the TiVo peanut and now the RCRP05B, means that I can’t keep my fingers off the side mounted Mute and Volume Buttons on the Roku style remote. Plus, I’d like to incorporate this TV onto the RCR.

None of the Roku related device files that I found in the Files Section seem to work on the RCR nor the 1058B. I did “Learn” the Roku keys to the RCR, this works in Learning mode. When I checked the EFCs in RMIR all I see are ***Multiple*** Protocols and no other useful data. In IR I see two sets of data for each function, for example: OBC-Hex-EFC for Menu (home) is 97-79-201 AND 255-78-209. For “PLAY” 76-CD-036 AND 204-CC-044 and so on. The Protocol info is NEC2, 234, 199(subdevice), per IR.

In order to make an upgrade, I seem to remember that either the OBC or the EFC is the key data to use with RMIR; which makes me ‘stuck’ for how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for a push in the right direction.

phil
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! TCL Roku TV Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
I need some help - a little rusty I guess.

I bought a TCL Roku TV 32S305, also called Roku TV 5140x, (in Settings). This has the Roku style remote, mine has Netflix, Amazon, CBSNews and Sling as favorites.

Being older now, my muscle memory from using the 6131, 8820, the TiVo peanut and now the RCRP05B, means that I can’t keep my fingers off the side mounted Mute and Volume Buttons on the Roku style remote. Plus, I’d like to incorporate this TV onto the RCR.

None of the Roku related device files that I found in the Files Section seem to work on the RCR nor the 1058B. I did “Learn” the Roku keys to the RCR, this works in Learning mode. When I checked the EFCs in RMIR all I see are ***Multiple*** Protocols and no other useful data. In IR I see two sets of data for each function, for example: OBC-Hex-EFC for Menu (home) is 97-79-201 AND 255-78-209. For “PLAY” 76-CD-036 AND 204-CC-044 and so on. The Protocol info is NEC2, 234, 199(subdevice), per IR.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Roku upgade that wouldn't work on the RCR, so I'm assuming you mean it loaded but won't control the ROKU. The fact that your remote is sending a capturable signal, is a good sign. Post your RMIR file and we'll help you create the upgrade, or tutor you on the best way to do it.

Vicky

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a little farther NEC2 234.194 is an interpretation of nearly all the ROKU upgrades we have. I'd suggest using the one posted by mDaveJ, as his uses the official version, which is a better version than NEC2 because it has the proper repeating type

{{file deleted}}

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you don't have the latest protocols. Download the latest RM and replace all your old files. Then it should decode your learns better.

In any case, we have a ton of Roku upgrades that should work fine. This is the best one:
{{file deleted}}

If you're really seeing sub 199 and not 194, just change it in the upgrade.
phb1342

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky and mdavej. I will work on this later and let you know.
phb1342

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll review what I did and get restarted later, but wanted to add this:

I did try the rdmu in the zip file, and my current version of RM is v2.03 Alpha 28. I think that the protocol in the readme file is in that version.

Anyway, it didn't work at all. But I will review, update, etc and go from there.

thanks, again!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing to sub 199 should do the trick.

EDIT: Forgot about the TV functions. My upgrade is just Roku functions. Start with this instead for your TV functions and add more from my Roku upgrade. Also please identify what function button6E on the screen does.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14655
phb1342

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej, here's my report:
1. Installed v2.04 build 14, but still no useful info re: learns described above.
2. Your Roku TV file works great -- Thanks! FYI, here are a few bits of info on this, using the TCL TV. I have this on Tivo and Cable Box, so not using the TVs tuner. Can't check the CH or numerals or Last or TV. button6E warranted a "beep" from TV but no action. The Dash button pulls up the Input Panel; List, nothing; Info shows input in use; Exit shows Input Panel;
3. I looked through the Roku official file to get Amazon, Netflix, Pandora, HBO Now, but these HEX don't seem to work in this context, except a few that happenstantially hit the wrong function: Amazon was a Volume, etc.

If you have any guidance on what EFC or HEX work for the streaming services in the context of the TCL TV, I would sure appreciate it.

Bottom Line: I am very happy to have your TCL File and will switch it from my test remote to the one on the table! and, many thanks for your help.
(and, delete the Learns, which work, but why????)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. If you can correct the function names based on your findings and post the resulting file, that would be great. In RMIR, go to the devices tab, Edit the device, make your name changes on the Functions tab, then Save As. Feel free to add some notes to the functions tab, like "unknown" for button6E and List and "confirmed" for the functions that work. You can also change the button assignments on the buttons or layout tab so they make the most sense.

There is a way to discover more commands (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) if they exist, by trying every possible code (there are only 128 possible commands, so it goes pretty quick). I'll post some files for you to use in your testing. I do this with my Roku every few months to discover new commands that they may have added. So I have the test files for Nevo already built. You load 2 test devices and press every button on the remote and on every page of the screen and note what happens (or doesn't happen).

Feel free to keep your learns, but they are redundant, and ones like Vol+/- and arrows may not repeat when held as well as the ones from my file. Learns are imperfect signals, but our files are perfect and take far less memory.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load this into your remote, pick the first Roku device, try every physical and soft button, repeat with the second device. This will be every known command for your TV plus any new ones if they exist. Make a list of which button does what, and we can build a complete upgrade file.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14658
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here again....
Dave, I did the download and 'tried' to incorporate your test file into my remote. I got an error message and warning that I could harm the remote, but proceeded anyway. (you have a different remote...) Afterwards, I could not determine where the test data was in my remote -everything "looked the same", but, in fact, the previously working devices in my remote no longer worked, but the learned commands still did. I then reverted my remote to the previously save rmir file, and it seems restored/ok.

As an aside, I tried the EFC one at a time, "Touch Setup, enter the 3/5 efc and see what happens...." But even with efcs from the working device to the TCL, none of the commands did anything and didn't work either...???

So, what did I not do or do wrong?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open my file then UPLOAD it to your remote. When done, your remote should have zero activities, zero learns and only two devices, both ROKU something. Pick each device then test. I'll double check when I get home in a few hours to make sure the file I gave you works on my remote. I stripped out a lot of stuff, so could have corrupted something I guess.
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can explain this. Yes, this time, everything gone except two devices #1 & #2, but I don't know how this relates to which device button on my remote to press to start the testing. This time, I simply connected my remote, opened your file and downloaded to the remote. Received same error message as last time....."signature does not match, ...may not be compatible....may destroy your remote...." OK, then a box message, WriteRemote returned -1. But your file info is there, mine all gone; ok, then...

Then if I try to use this info to 'make' a device upgrade, I can't seem to change from your Xsignt 15 to my RCA to get anywhere there.

So, at this point, the test file is in the RCA remote, but where to go from here???

sorry, I wish I was a better student......
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uploaded to the remote, of course
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in looking at the file, I think I see what you've done.

Therefore, I am wondering why don't I copy and paste your info to a 'blank' device upgrade chart and do it that way. Except, how do I get one, since even if I start NEW device, the XSight is already there and can't be toggled out<<<?

use a spread sheet as an intermediary??
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: