JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do You Need the EEPROM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Do You Need the EEPROM Reply with quote

Hello:

I'm a little unclear whether you always need to have an EEPROM in order to change codes. For instance the URC-6011 does not have a JP1 connector nor an EEPROM. Is it possible to redefine what the keys are used for and still have the remote remember these changes or is EVERYTHING that we do here reside in the EEPROM?

Thanks,
George
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything JP1 does requires the EEPROM. Remotes without one can retain some settings in RAM, but only for short periods of time without batteries. I don't think many of the advanced features (key moves, macros, etc) are available in non-EEPROM remotes; and if they are, they're certainly limited in number.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking whether you can do all the stuff described in the URC-6011s manual without adding an EEPROM, then the answer is absolutely. If you think about it, they'd look pretty silly describing how to do that stuff if it wasn't possible.

You can change the device mode of a device button using the 992 command, you can set the volume lock using 993, do keymoves using 994, macros using 995, etc, etc.
GeorgeIoak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want to do is redefine the buttons with new codes for my equipment. I'm not clear if you can change the code definitions and have it permanently stored without adding the EEPROM.

Maybe a better, more specific, question is "What permanent chages can be made when there is no EEPROM mounted?"

Thanks,
George
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If permanent means surviving a prolonged condition with no batteries, then no permanent changes are possible.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Everything JP1 does requires the EEPROM. Remotes without one can retain some settings in RAM, but only for short periods of time without batteries. I don't think many of the advanced features (key moves, macros, etc) are available in non-EEPROM remotes; and if they are, they're certainly limited in number.

KeyMoves and macros are available without an eeprom in the 6011 (and a few other eeprom-optional models). I believe you actually get slightly more keymove and macro capacity without an eeprom than with one.

Of course you can't use JP1; you can't have upgrades; and you loose all your keymoves and macros if you leave batteries out too long.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, if you want permanent, you need an EEPROM. Without an EEPROM, your programming will survive for an long as a little capacitor can keep the RAM alive, which is why these remotes are advertized as haveing "30 minute memory retention", whereas the EEPROM versions have "permanent memory retention"
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: