JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you use Yamaha multi-zone remote?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: How do you use Yamaha multi-zone remote? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the original remote on a Yamaha multi-zone AV receiver?

I've read the manual 2x but can't for the life of me figure out how to operate the original remote control! We have two zones, and can't get them to both work with the remote control. After 2 full days of searching, I found they have an app that can control the thing from the phone, and proves we DO HAVE IT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY FOR TWO ZONES. I worked on the Yamaha protocol, so know that I can control this with one of our JP1 remotes, once my new interface arrives. But I'd really like to know how to use the OEM remote.

Manual is here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a2030/downloads.html

I want to be able to select different inputs for the different zones.
I want to be able to control the volume for the different zones.
I want to be able to turn the dang thing on and off.

I can do this fairly easily with the app, but I am bugged that I can't figure this out on the OEM remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an OEM remote, and why would u want to use one? Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
What's an OEM remote, and why would u want to use one? Smile

Very Funny! In this case the OEM remote is a monster, weighing in at 9 ozs and 10" long with a 3 inch door that folds out to make it 13 inches long, and you seem to need this door open all the time to do ANYTHING! How soon is that door going to break off!

We are new to AVRs, our old receiver was a simple stereo with a/b speakers. Its been the same receiver for the past 30 years, so it was very comfortable. The whole multi-zone thing is so complicated! We kept thinking our hookup was wrong, because we couldn't get it to do what we wanted to with the remote.

At least with the Yamaha AV Controller App, it is a lot easier. This morning, using the APP, I was able to turn the unit on, switch it to Air Play, and we are streaming WXRT's "Breakfast with the Beatles" very easily. No frustration. Not so with the remote.

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE THE OEM REMOTE!!!! Fortunately for me, you guys had me put those ethernet ports behind the tvs. so when I found the video describing how to control the receiver with the Yamaha AV Controller App , I just pulled the cabinet out for the umpteenth time and plugged in an ethernet cord to the back of the receiver, and then patched that ethernet run into the new switch you guys recommended and I was in business.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me! Just hope someone can

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you even KNOW about XRT? I've met Terri Hemmert, the show's host. I out together a concert back in the 90s where she was the MC.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
How do you even KNOW about XRT? I've met Terri Hemmert, the show's host. I out together a concert back in the 90s where she was the MC.

I lived 25 miles west of you in South Barrington for a decade.
When we moved out of the Land of Tolls and Taxes one of the things I missed most was WXRT. Now that the world has gotten so small, I've got XRT on my radio app on my phone along with a few other radio stations from FL and MI and one that we liked when we were out in AZ.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, did you see this manual? It might get you on the right track.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/329628/RX-A3030_RX-A2030_quick_U.pdf
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Vicky, did you see this manual? It might get you on the right track.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/329628/RX-A3030_RX-A2030_quick_U.pdf

Thank you Dave!!!! I have a computer printed booklet that came with the refurbed unit. My booklet had the same title, but the contents are different!!!! I never went to revisit that title again.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't any information in the yamaha receiver in the yamaha master file , so I asked yamaha for the ir codes for this receiver series.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14622

When I requested them I said pronto hex was fine. So they sent me a link to the tool that converts those numbers to pronto hex.
http://www.awe-europe.com/documents/Control%20Docs/irhex_converter.html

However had i looked a little harder in the rob's yamaha master file i would have found a copy there!

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the master file that Vicky just referred to:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2099

There is also this one, which contains PDFs for each of MANY different devices. Probably too many to be useful, but it's there:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9582

and there's also this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8732

Here is a master file upgrade (for Zone 1):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14554
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the multi-zone on my (older) yamaha all the time

they don't have a power toggle, there is a power on and "standby" which is essentially a power off.

My unit has two remotes, one for the main zone and one that controls zone 2/3, it's got a small switch on it that change the remote to the different zones.

I also have the zones all programmed into one of my JP1.3 remotes so that I con't have to pick up the extra remote most of the time. IIRC they use the same protocol with different device ID's but pretty much all of the button codes are the same.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
I use the multi-zone on my (older) yamaha all the time

they don't have a power toggle, there is a power on and "standby" which is essentially a power off.

My unit has two remotes, one for the main zone and one that controls zone 2/3, it's got a small switch on it that change the remote to the different zones.

I also have the zones all programmed into one of my JP1.3 remotes so that I con't have to pick up the extra remote most of the time. IIRC they use the same protocol with different device ID's but pretty much all of the button codes are the same.

The remote for this newer (discontinued) model, has a horrible design. The remote is a universal remote, and allows you to have minimal control of 3 external devices, and contributes to the problem with the work flow. The biggest problem is the door. Key features like switching zones, and changing from AM to FM on the tuner are hidden behind the door. The door is really difficult to open and close.

I'm having trouble getting an upgrade to fit in my older 8 device eeprom remote. I may need to change remotes. Nevo here we come!

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I'm having trouble getting to fit in my older 8 device eeprom remote. I may need to change remotes. Nevo here we come!

Do you want any help trying to come up with a solution for it?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 5-device remote I used a device multiplexor to change the function of the AUX device based on a macro assigned to a few buttons. Then all of the other buttons (power, input select, etc) were all the same

the only challenge was keeping track of which device was active
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of how I handle a 2 zone Denon AVR on Nevo:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13513

Basically, main zone is a device, and zone 2 is a second device. If I listen to music in other parts of the house, I just pick the zone 2 device and manually control. I don't have any activities specifically for zone 2. But I do make sure zone 2 gets turned off in my Good Night (master off) activity.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:

the only challenge was keeping track of which device was active

Your user base must be much more tech savvy than mine, Laughing I've been working more than a decade to get my DH comfortable with a very intuitive setup. The 3 and 5 year old visitors have absolutely no problem using the remote to do their input selection and and play the DVDs that I use in the "kid friendly" DVD player. And they only visit occasionally!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: