JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using IRScrutinizer with Global Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Using IRScrutinizer with Global Cache Reply with quote

split from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100784

Barf, I signed up with Global Cache and got the Micca codes sent to me, in Pronto Hex format (I assume you did the same). Is there a way to import this file "as is" into IRScrutinizer, without cut & pasting each code one by one?

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. The file is in CSV ("comma separated values") format, with comma separating the fields. Importing in IrScrutinizer is similar to importing CSV in Excel. Select Import -> Text -> Raw. The name is contained in the first field of the CSV, so set "Name col." to 1. The data of the signal (in Pronto Hex) is the third field, so select 3 for "Raw signal col.". Leave the checkboxes unchecked. Since the fields are separated by commas, select the comma as the "Field separator". Now, in your mail reader, copy the content of the mail to the clipboard. Press "Load from clipboard" in IrScrutinizer. It should now look like this:

(Hovering over a command will show its decode as tool tip.)
Now press "Import all", and press "OK" on the pop-up. You are now taken to the parametric remote editor and can do desired editing there. There are some nice stuff in the context menu. For example, the comments are pretty silly, you can nuke them by right mouse button -> "Clear all comments". Select the export pane. Select RemoteMaster as "Export Format", and press "Export param. remote" (the table we just manipulated was the "parametric remote"). The rest is covered in the Wiki article linked above.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barf.

JR, I created the following RMDU file for you
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14600

And for anyone else wanting to try to use IRScrutinizer for this purpose, when you first try exporting the generated RMDU file, you might have trouble finding where it got saved. There is a message on the screen saying where it is, but that folder didn't exist on my system. I did some poking around and eventually figured out what's up. What you need to do is go to the Export tab and notice the "Export dir." box, to the right of it is a box simply labeled "...", click on that and select the folder where you would like the RMDU to be saved, then go back and repeat the process to generate the RMDU and it will be saved there.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Select the export pane. Select RemoteMaster as "Export Format", and press "Export param. remote"
Having trouble with this bit. I am running 1.4.1 but when I select the Export Tab and the then the Export Format drop down menu I get only 4 entries: Girr, Pronto/Classic, Text and Wave. No sign of RemoteMaster. What am I missing ?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have updated an < 1.4 version. Try this: Select File -> Reset Properties. Then restart the program.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked. Would never have figured that out Very Happy
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
... when you first try exporting the generated RMDU file, you might have trouble finding where it got saved. There is a message on the screen saying where it is, but that folder didn't exist on my system. I did some poking around and eventually figured out what's up. What you need to do is go to the Export tab and notice the "Export dir." box, to the right of it is a box simply labeled "...", click on that and select the folder where you would like the RMDU to be saved, then go back and repeat the process to generate the RMDU and it will be saved there.

Just a few comments:

The default for the export directory on Windows (something like %HOME%\AppData\Local\Temp\Export) is selected from official guidelines. If it does not exist, it is created when needed. If someone does not like it, it can be changed, as Rob describes. The changes are stored persistently.

The "Open" button next to the "..." will open an explorer window on the selected export diretory.

If unchecking "Automatic file names", there will be a file selector for each export, allowing arbitrary file paths.

The "Open last file" (available both on the export pane as button and in the Action pull down menu (as "Open last export file")) will "open" the last created export file, just as if double clicked from the explorer.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem in my case was that, at some point along the way, I renamed my JP1 folder, and I must have previously selected an output folder in IRS. So, when I tried exporting the RMDU file, it tried to save it in a location that didn't exist, but it didn't complain or tell me that was the case, so I just kept trying to find where it had been saved, and of course, it hadn't.

So that's when I started the long quest of trying to determine where IRS was trying to save the file and change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: