JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EZ-RC alternative for my Monster remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teammaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if its related to anything or if its not actually what its pulling from the remote (cause of renaming the nevo c3 RFD to USB7) but it shows Samsung S3F8 when I do a regular download of remote then hit the raw data tab...as shown in picture.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teammaf
I don't know what to make of your screenshot, but the statement that the processor is Samsung S3F8 comes from the RDF, not the remote, so that is not relevant. I have posted development build 27 of RMIR v2.04 for you to try. I hope it will provide useful information, even if it doesn't work. Here's what I would like you to do:

1. Use the XSight Lite RDF (you seem to have changed back to the Nevo C3 one in your latest screenshot) but change USB7 back to USB0007. I have corrected RMIR to handle leading zeroes correctly.

2. Try a raw download. I have modified RMIR to take the EEPROM address and size from the RDF when the read of these values from the remote fails, as it seems to do with yours. If it completes and gives data, then whether it looks sensible or not, save it and accept the default filename (which does have a .ir extension).

3. If you got a saved raw download, please post that AND the rmaster.err file in the Diagnostic Area. If the raw download fails, post the rmaster.err file in any case. Please post the entire file as a file, not just a screenshot of the part that you think is relevant, as there is other information in the file that may be useful for diagnostics.

We can try other values for the address and size by editing the RDF, if this shows any sign of being promising. There is no guarantee that any of this will work, of course, as I have no way of testing, but if there are bugs in my changes then the rmaster.err file should help me to find them.
Teammaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT doesn't download at all now with the latest build and renaming back to USB0007

Code:
Starting raw download
Interface Name = NULL
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: CommHID
HIDManager com.codeminders.hidapi.HIDManager@65a6e64b devices are:
Device 0: HIDDeviceInfo [path=\\?\hid#vid_045e&pid_00cb#6&2349bbcd&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}, vendor_id=1118, product_id=203, serial_number=?, release_number=409, manufacturer_string=Microsoft , product_string=Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 , usage_page=1, usage=2, interface_number=-1]
Device 1: HIDDeviceInfo [path=\\?\hid#vid_06e7&pid_0007#6&2f720aec&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}, vendor_id=1767, product_id=7, serial_number=?, release_number=5, manufacturer_string=Universal Electronics Inc., product_string=Monster AVL-50 USB HID (C) 2009, usage_page=65280, usage=0, interface_number=-1]
Remote found: Manufacturer = Universal Electronics Inc., Product = Monster AVL-50 USB HID (C) 2009, Product ID = 0007
GetInfoAndSig failed, taking data from RDF
Port Name = HID
Opened on Port HID
Opened interface type 106
Interface opened successfully
Base address = $2C000
Remote signature = USB0007
Initial buffer size  = $4000
Final buffer size  = $4000
RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered

It just stalls on downloading...never completes, left for like 10 minutes.

I noticed it is picking up my optical mouse there in the detection heh.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same folder that RemoteMaster.jar is located you will find a file called rmaster.err. This is a log file with a good bit of diagnostic information in it.

As Graham asked please post that whole file in the diagnostics area of the forum so that the experts can look at the file and see what is happening.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teammaf
I can tell you what is happening, but not yet why it is happening. My fixes for the leading zeroes in the PID, and for getting the address and size of the EEPROM area from the RDF, clearly work. When RMIR used an address of 0, the remote responded with an error code. With the address taken from the RDF, the read requests are timing out. The RDF gives an EEPROM size of 16K which is read in blocks of 64 bytes, so there are 256 blocks to be read. Reads time out after 3 seconds, for each block, so if every read times out, it will take around 13 minutes before the read attempts complete. So RMIR hasn't crashed, or got stuck in an endless loop, it is just taking a very long time before it returns to say that the read has failed.

I have found today that raw downloads are not reliable in RMIR for my real XSight Lite, so I need to fix this before giving you anything else to try. I hope to have time to do that tomorrow. I think the next thing will be to try reading from different addresses. If you want to do some experiments with the present RMIR build, you can do so by editing the RDF (it is a text file). Change EepromSize from $4000 to, say, $400 (i.e. 1K) so if it still times out, it will be a lot quicker. Then try various values for BaseAddr, smaller than the present $02C000. Perhaps $10000 and $0E000 might be worth a try. All we want is to find something that neither times out nor returns an error code, but without any info on the internal structure of the remote, it is very difficult to guess what memory is readable.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but if you're on Win 8 or 10, there is a registry key that can also make downloads fail. Look for something similar to this and set it to zero, unplug, then plug back in:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo#Win_8.1.2F10_Requirements
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but if you're on Win 8 or 10, there is a registry key that can also make downloads fail. Look for something similar to this and set it to zero, unplug, then plug back in:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo#Win_8.1.2F10_Requirements

Graham covered that earlier...
Teammaf wrote:
mathdon wrote:
@Teammaf
It has dawned on me that no-one has remembered to tell you that to use RMIR or EZ-RC on XSight remotes with Windows 8.1 or 10, you must have Enhanced Power Management disabled for the device.

I'm on Windows 7, shouldve stated this somewhere, but yeah windows 7 64 bit.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but if you're on Win 8 or 10, there is a registry key that can also make downloads fail.

The latest development build, build 27, checks that registry key for both Touch-style and Lite-style XSights and displays a message if it is not set correctly. The few development builds before that checked it for Touch-style remotes but in playing with my XSight Lite in working on Teammaf's problems I found it didn't work for that. I sorted it for build 27.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, are you allowed to fix registry settings from RMIR or is that something the user has to change?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, are you allowed to fix registry settings from RMIR or is that something the user has to change?

I don't think RMIR can change the setting, and even if it could, I would be very reluctant for it to mess with the registry in case something goes wrong, especially with unknown remotes like Teammaf's Monster. Instead the message refers the user to the (new) entry in the Help menu that takes you to the download page for the registry fix. After the registry entry is changed, you need to disconnect the remote and reconnect it, so RMIR couldn't just do it invisibly on the fly in any case.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
mdavej wrote:
I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but if you're on Win 8 or 10, there is a registry key that can also make downloads fail.

The latest development build, build 27, checks that registry key for both Touch-style and Lite-style XSights and displays a message if it is not set correctly.
Nice addition. Thanks.

I agree, while it would be nice to have, the registry thing could be a bust, especially in Win 10. Even the reg files I posted don't work for most people due to permissions, etc.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - mine is out for delivery today... Will play over the weekend.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teammaf
I hope you are still watching this thread. Since xnappo got his Monster, we have been working hard and have reached the stage where we know how to do a raw download. I still need to incorporate that properly into RMIR, but in a few days I will post a build of RMIR that we are pretty confident should be able to do a raw download of your remote. The reason this has been so difficult is that it turns out that the Monster doesn't use either the MAXQ processor of the XSight Lite or the S3F80 processor of the XSight Touch but instead uses a Freescale processor that we have previously seen only in JP1.2 remotes.

We will need that raw download before we can proceed further, but I feel there is now a good chance that we will be able to provide you with the means to continue to program your remote in the absence of EZ-RC.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teammaf
I have now put build 34 of RMIR v2.04 in the development folder. This zip package contains a replacement RemoteMaster.jar file, as before, but it also includes a prototype RDF for the Monster Revolution 200. You need to copy that to the RDF subfolder of your RMIR installation folder. With that in place, you should then be able to do a Raw Download of your remote, which should now work properly. Please save that with its default filename, 0007.ir, and post it for me to study.

There is also a .rmir file in the zip package from xnappo's remote. This loads OK into RMIR, but as his remote is empty, it shows nothing other than on the Raw Data tab. You can try a normal download from your remote if you like, but don't expect it to work as most of the info in the RDF has been taken from an XSight Lite and will not be appropriate for your remote. RMIR gives an error if that info isn't present. It doesn't use that data to download xnappo's empty remote, so it doesn't matter that it is wrong, but it would need it to download a remote like yours that has a real setup. We need your raw download to help sort out the RDF to make it work properly.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPLOAD ANYTHING TO YOUR REMOTE. At the present state of development, that could brick your remote. Download attempts are safe, however, as they do not make any changes to the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham has now posted RMIRbuild39rev1.zip in the usual SVN development folder. The RDF has had a major revision and the map file is Dave's latest. The test file is MonsterTest07.rmir.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RMIRDevelopment/

It looks like everything is working now, so Teammaf, or any other Monster Revolution remote users, please give it a whirl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: