JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

351601 Potenza BC4 remote rdf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That's why we all buy the $8 cable on ebay! Smile

I get it... but my wife isn't catching on to the way the power button works, so the TV keeps getting left on while the STB is turned off. It just seems easier to reprogram the remote than to reprogram my wife!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, place an order already, the sooner you place it, the sooner it will be here. It is coming from China, but if memory serves, it doesn't take all that long to get here (like 2 weeks maybe).

In the meantime, expose your wife to the pleasures of gardening or something, lol!
csete

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Smile

Anyone have an extra that they would be interested in parting with for a reasonable price?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably do. I'll check my stash when I get home and shoot you a PM.
csete

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I ended up ordering one from chip_partner the other day. I guess I will just need to be patient Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself some glue and maybe a heat-shrink tube while you're waiting, to make the connector all nice and neat! Smile
csete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
get yourself some glue and maybe a heat-shrink tube while you're waiting, to make the connector all nice and neat! Smile

The cable arrived while I was out of town this week, so it got here quite a bit faster than advertised. Nice!

What kind of glue did you use and how did you avoid mucking up the gluing process?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the connectors with a regular 6-hole connector on the first chip_partner cable that I bought, then I bought another because I wanted to have the 6 individual connectors, so I didn't modify it. So, bottom line, I haven't done it myself, but if I were to do it, I think I'd just use superglue.

You only need to have 4 pins connected, so you have the choice of gluing all 6 connectors together and then cutting the wires on 2 of them, or leaving 2 of them out and just gluing the right 4 together. I think I would do all 6 if it were me.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit tricky, but here's what I did.

- Plug individual ones in the right spots a couple of times so you memorize how the go and can do it quickly. Confirm the remote uploads/downloads
- Initially plug in just the 4 needed, confirm it works, then cut the leads to the remaining 2 unused ones
- When you're ready, quickly put a dab of glue on each as you plug it in, and plug in all 6
- Unplug when dry. If you didn't use too much, it won't stick to the remote

I like to dry run a couple of times. Even better if you have a dead remote to do it on.

If you can deal with individual pins for a few more weeks, you can just replace with a single 6-pin as Rob said.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better if you have a header strip that you can use to hold them together, rather than using a remote. The 6-pin found in JP1 remotes comes from the same header strips that are used for old IDE hard drives, for example. Of course, I have tons of those still lying around from my days of modifying URC-6131 remotes, but I doubt the average person does.
csete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Even better if you have a header strip that you can use to hold them together, rather than using a remote. The 6-pin found in JP1 remotes comes from the same header strips that are used for old IDE hard drives, for example. Of course, I have tons of those still lying around from my days of modifying URC-6131 remotes, but I doubt the average person does.

We just moved... and I purged a lot of that old stuff Smile
csete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

This is a dumb question, but I can't remember how the pins are numbered on the header. Is there a diagram somewhere? I saw the mapping of the colors for the cable, but I'm not sure what the numbers of the JP1 header pins would be...
csete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csete wrote:
The Robman wrote:

This is a dumb question, but I can't remember how the pins are numbered on the header. Is there a diagram somewhere? I saw the mapping of the colors for the cable, but I'm not sure what the numbers of the JP1 header pins would be...

Never mind... I found a diagram
csete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to test this new cable and make sure it is working? I was trying to use an old "One For All" remote (not sure of the specific model) that I think I bought way back when at Radio Shack. I've tried downloading the remote using the Java application on both my Linux machine and Macintosh. In both cases, it has failed to download the remote and I'm not entirely sure what might be going on. There are so many potential things I might be doing wrong. Can anyone point me to a decent checklist of things I should try?

Thanks!
Craig
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to know the model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: