JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie help - IP.exe (402), 15-2117 and usb cable (filebug)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFBEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Newbie help - IP.exe (402), 15-2117 and usb cable (filebug) Reply with quote

(reposting from "beginners" section by suggestion)

Hello,

Here I am in Sydney and learning about the JP1 stuff (way cool!).. I sent away for a 15-2117 and buy a USB cable from Filebug and... errors

I have downloaded IR.exe (402), the drivers, RM and KM and all the "easy JP1 doco's" which I'm sorry but even the "easy" stuff is pretty confusing .

I plug the USB cable in and XP recognizes it (after loading the drivers). I fire up IR.exe and select USB as the interface and select download from remote. Here is what I get:

1. All LED come on and "ready to downlod from remote" ok?
2. "SDA is being held low. Make sure your batteries are installed in the remote"
So.. I think maybe I have the JP1 cable reversed on the remote end so..
Swapped it around and:
1. "ready to downlod from remote" ok?
2. "SDA is being held high"

Does anyone have a clue what these mean? I'm sure I will be able to figure this out WHEN I can at least access the remote!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Jeff
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie help - IP.exe (402), 15-2117 and usb cable (fileb Reply with quote

JEFBEAR wrote:
1. All LED come on and "ready to downlod from remote" ok?

Do you mean the LCD comes on? If so, that could be an indication that the remote needs to have a full reset done on it.

1) Hold SETUP (green P), till screen reads "CODE SET"
2) Press RECORD
3) Select MFR RESET from the LCD menu.
JEFBEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark..

I reset the remote like you said and I still get the same error messages.

Regarding the "all LED's come on" thing... It happens when I plug the JP1 cable end into the remote. All of the LCD's (sorry..) come on for 3 seconds.. then all go off. It looks like an LCD test or something.

Then when I try IR.exe (402) I get the same SDA...error messages. Since I am not sure which is pin 1 on the JP1 cable end, I try it both ways.. one says SDA is high the other says low...

???

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cheers,
Jeff
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin 1 is at the lower left when viewed from the back of the remote.

Are you sure the Delcom USB drivers have been loaded (I assume they are or you wouldn't be getting as far as you are)?

What happens when you select Check Interface on the Interface menu?
JEFBEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Yes, the drivers were required to get the USB cable recognized by XP... As for the pin1, I meant on the JP1 cable.. it is not marks pin1

IR gives me those errors when I do the "check interface". When I dissable the "auto check" feature I get "The remote is not acknowledging data requests, (ErrNo=9, Addr=0, Size=-1, Count=1) SDA is being held high" if I reverse the cable I get a HUGE message saying I have an invalid checksum and need to reset the remote.. then it give me the option to pick a checksum sie (auto checked 0800... no data found, cancel? -> no... pick a remote -> 2117... bad checksum at address $000. Expected $FF$00, but found $00$00... There is a conflict at fixed address $0032 do you want to replace with fixed data? --> yes seems to have worked.. because the messages go away..
Does this mean it works??

Confused...

(back in a couple hours)

Jeff
cjjuds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same remote and the same cable and had the same error. I had already loaded the Delcom USB driver.

The solution I came up with was to leave the batteries out. Also, when plugging in the cable, I have it orientated such that the cable heads back across the battery compartment and not down to the bottom of the remote.

Every time I come back to re-program the remote after testing it out, I get the same error even with the batteries removed. I guess it still has some charge left from the batteries. To solve this, however, I unplug the USB cable from my PC and re-insert it. After that I'm able to upload to it one more time.

The final quirk is that every few times I program it, the display stops functioning. The macros I've programmed still function, however. On the next upload the display is once again ok.

These quirks aren't really hindering me so I'll likely be happy this weekend when I finally get the delays setup correctly in my simple macros.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEFBEAR wrote:
As for the pin1, I meant on the JP1 cable.. it is not marks pin1

The connector should have an arrow molded in it that indicates pin 1.
JEFBEAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjjuds,

Thanks mate, this worked!

Now, if I can only find a couple weeks to figure out the rest of this stuff Smile

Thanks again everyone!!

Jeff
JEFBEAR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,

I am having similar issues with the interface and IR (works then doesn't). I have only been able to dowload once! and still haven't been able to upload or download again!

Just a little disappointed with this interface. With myself paying with AU dollars.. it was twice the price of the remote itself (luckily I got the remote for $20 us).

Jeff
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some testing with the USB interface and my 2117 and can confirm that the SDA HIGH errors DO occur with the batteries IN. Once removing the batteries I have no errors. It will upload and download numerous times without ever getting an error. I have uploaded, unplugged and used the remote and plugged it back in and can still upload and download without having to unplug the interface.

As far as pin 1 on the cable, as said earlier, there is a little triangle on the jp1 connector that points to pin 1.

After removing the batteries, you said you could download once and that was all. What is the error you get with the batteries removed.
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - I talked to Jeff and everything is working fine now. I seems that the problems may have just been a batteries/driver issue.
takins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem with a RCU810B and the USB cable I just got from JP1 Cables. If I take the batteries out I get a message that the SDA is too low. With them in it is too high. I was able to get a download once by partialy removing one battery. I don't know if this was a fluke or it was making some partial contact and that helped somehow. Any help would be appreciated.
-Trent
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you making out with this? Did you try a different remote yet? Are you sure you didn't plug the cable in backwards? Are you sure the 6 pin header is soldered in good enough?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

takins wrote:
I am having the same problem with a RCU810B and the USB cable I just got from JP1 Cables.

There isn't a vendor called "JP1 Cables", the two JP1 vendors are Filebug (Tom) and Hovis Direct (Richard).
takins

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake Rob. The website says JP1 cables on the header. It was actually Filebug I purchased the cable from. Thanks for correcting me.

Tom, I have not had any further success. I have not tried a different remote. This is the only one I have with a female JP1 port right on the card. I bought a cable with a male attachment I thought this just plugged into that.

I am not sure what the 6 pin header is though. I am sure I am plugging the cable in properly though. I match up the arrow with the #1 hole.

Thanks,
Trent
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: