JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1994 remote no longer works, but IR Program still sees it???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt_Stevens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: 1994 remote no longer works, but IR Program still sees it??? Reply with quote

EDIT: See my update at the bottom...

OK, my trusty 15-1994 remote, which is my best friend, suddenly stoped working today. The light still works and when I hook it up to my PC and use the IR program (I have 311a) it can download the info from the remote and also upload to it.

So I am thinking maybe the IR emitter went kaplooey? Could there be another possibility? When I got home today I noticed the green P (program) key was stuck "in" (probably from my cat sitting on it). Could this have sent it into some kind of strange mode?

I have tried erasing it and then uploading everything but all that doesn't work.

Anyone out there fix these things? Since you cannot get this puppy anymore, I am kind of screwed if it's dead.

Last: If it dead for good, what remote would you all recommend? I am not thrilled with the idea of losing the 4 smart kets, which I use for things like HD/SD and aspect ratio control with my E* 6000 Sat receiver, etc. etc. I need the ability to use the remote for those commands.

Thanks all.

UPDATE! Interestingly, I figured why not try using the remote inches from the devices in question and suddenly, it works. But only inches away from each device in question.

I changed out the batteries and got the same results. So can the inner IR workings be failing? Going bad slowly? This is very confusing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the IR-LED is failing, which if it's true is good news because it's pretty easy to replace.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the 1994 has two leds. one is strictly for transmitting, while the other doubles as a receiver and transmitter (the one at the pointer). I've never examined just how they are hooked up, in parallel or in series. If in series, if one goes out, the other may not get power either. Parallel one wouldn't depend on the other. Use a digital camera or camcorder and "see" which one isn't working. Press a button and hold it to sendf a signal while looking in the viewfinder. A working led will show as a bright flash. Most likely it's the full-time transmitter led that goes out, but that's not always true, so check to know which to replace.

Jim
Matt_Stevens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there are posts that would explain what I need to buy and how to replace the part?

Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: