JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xiaomi Mi Box Streaming Android TV Device
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being back for quite a while, but I couldn't do much. However I just bought the OARUSB04G remote (actually like it more than my harmony so far).

Now that I have the proper remote, how do I put the hex file onto it to test it with my Mi Box? Simpleset.com seems to be only for regular setup. Whatever software I need to download, I do need it to be available in Mac.

Thanks again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Installing_RM-IR_and_preparing_it_for_use

Upload from your remote in RMIR, then add the RMDU file posted earlier in the thread per the tutorial above, remap commands as desired, save, download back to the remote.
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I did as instructed by that wiki. When I opened the rmdu file (they appear to have replaced "load" button with "open" button on the software.) I get:

Quote:
No protocol found with name="Xiaomi", ID=02 3B, and variantName=""

When I click OK, it then says:

Quote:
The selected protocol "Acer Keyboard" (01 11 :JP1) is not compatible with the selected remote. This upgrade will NOT function correctly. Please choose a different protocol.

I then click OK and the bottom of the software screen says:

Quote:
Protocol ID conflicts with a built-in protocol. To use both this and the built-in protocol in device upgrades, this one needs to be given an Alternate PID

I typed in "Mi Box Test" for the Alternate PID field, but it just defaults to blank with the same error messages when I click Open.
-------
I am also having issues with the remote, and will be calling tech support. I cannot replace the "settings.bin" file on my computer (Only can use the codes through the remote). I think it might be because the remote is formatted in Fat12. Hopefully I can reformat to Fat16 without issue, but will confirm with tech support. I am mentioning that just incase this is a problem that is interfering with the software.

Edit: I just opened both posted rmdu files in text format and noticed it only has the normal buttons that came with the original remote. I also used The Robman's proto hex file (in text format), but that did not seem to import because it was txt. As a "what the heck", I changed it manually from .txt to .km format to see if that would work, but it did not.

Mentioned early was to test the 256 possible codes and in one post (page 2 by 3FG) mentioned:

Quote:
The good news here is that the OBCs (except for Power) are 4,5,6,7,8,11,12,13,14, and 15. So a search for other functions would start with the obvious missing OBCs: 0,1,2,3,9,10. We don't know if other functions exist, but IMO this OBC list suggests that there are.

Is there a way to test the missing OBCs or doing a brute search for possible codes?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go backwards through this thread. 3FG made that new protocol and provided instructions for adding it, if it's missing. After that, it will open fine.

As for an alternate PID, needs to be a 2 byte hex number. 023B, the official one, will work fine.

Our software can use pronto hex via pasting one command at a time into the Learn tab. Txt and KM isn't the correct approach. It's far easier to simply add OBCs to an RM file.

You can brute force manually by tapping Setup followed by 00001, then Setup 00002, etc. thru 00255. Or you can add OBC thru 255 to your RM file. Problem is you only have about 80 accessible functions at a time due to the number of buttons on the remote. So you'll need to make 3 or 4 upgrades to try them all (OBCs 0-80, 81-160, etc.). Half can go on primary buttons, the other half on shifted buttons.

We typically don't put unknown functions in our files, so you'll always have to add experimental codes yourself, i.e., the ones 3FG mentioned. I think it's highly unlikely you'll find anything beyond, say, OBC 30.

I vaguely recall something about the file format issue on Mac years ago. You'll just have to search the forum a little. This Amazon review by a Mac user might help.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1BSW9JWFQ3HKB?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Man wrote:
As a remote, it's pretty good. The layout could be a little better; the most-used buttons are in two concentric circles, which means it's very easy to press a wrong button. The backlighting is nice. Basic setup was easy; almost all the keys did what I wanted once I set the brands of my TV and blu-ray player, and it was simple to make the remaining keys "learn" from my old remotes.

The main problem with this remote is the documentation. The reason I bought this remote over simpler ones was because it's very customizable. And on that basis, I recommend it. But it lacks a decent manual. The manuals that come with it describe only the very most basic actions. I don't expect the manual to describe all the fancy ways I could hack this thing, but at least it should say how to use the functions printed on the remote itself, such as macros.

Apparently, this model is no longer supported, so I had to search very hard online to find the manual. The forums on the "hifi-remote" website have all the information you could possibly need. Google "hifi-remote OARUSB04G 12385" - though you need to sign up for an account to see the download link. But to really get all the details you need to google "hifi-remote OARUSB04G extender", download the file, and just extract the PDF of the manual. This tells you how to do things like adjust how long the backlight stays on, or if it even comes on at all.

The JP1 features also seem to work just fine. On my Mac, I can just plug in the USB cable and it shows up as a drive, and I can move files around just like it's a thumb drive. Gets along nicely with RemoteMaster, and seems to have plenty of storage space for all the crazy macros I'll ever want to create.

Jeff2525

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am just using terminal to copy and it appears to be working. I am using the below code to do it.
Code:
cp -X ~/desktop/settings.bin /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE

Figured it out when I saw another post here.

Quote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

cp -X ~/Downloads/OARUSB04G\ Extender\ v1.04/Settings_reset_OARUSB04G_extender104\(2576A1\).bin /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin

Between getting that to simply copy/paste, and this extender, all these .jar files, .bin files, .rmdu files, etc., long wikis, and OBCs, PIDs, Hex, and so forth.... I think I am going to call it a night. Especially since, as I was typing, I just realized that that quote I pasted above was referring to installing that extender without RMIR.... Surprised

You all have been above and beyond helpful, just too much new info in too short of a time. I will try again with this setup after a few hours or tomorrow. Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting that initial bin file, RMIR should read and write to the remote directly. At least that's how it works on a PC.

You've done quite a lot for your first day. It's a lot to learn.

You can skip the extender for now.
ddp_JP1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a little hard to follow, but my post in the following thread might be helpful: http://hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15536

Basically, I was able to create an upgrade for an android TV box based on the remote.conf file from the box that specified device, subdevice, and OBC codes. Then I edited the remote.conf to add arbitrary OBCs for new buttons and added the OBCs for those to the update.
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lot, but took a break and now I think I am on the right path. However, I would like to be assured that I am doing things correctly.

1. I installed the extender and it seems to work as my Remote name in RMIR is OARUSB04G Extender v1.04.

2. I used setup code 3982 and opened the RMDU file. *zero errors!!*

3. I click on the Functions tab and click New

4. I use 134 as the OBC code (all of them are 134, except Power which is 60) and name it a number (temp, just to keep track)

5. I edit the last 2 numbers/letters of the Hex (ie 86 00, 86 01, etc)

6. I then go to buttons and add the number that I created to the number buttons (I know I can do more buttons, but to keep it simple while I am new to this, I am only assigning the number buttons currently)

7. Upload to remote (or save as settings.bin and copying it through terminal).

Right now, hex code 86 03 and hex code 86 11 do have a function (or is at least readable).

When I click those buttons, it does nothing. However, the light on the Mi Box will blink. The other assigned buttons with different hex codes will not even make the Mi Box blink. The default working buttons, such as the menu button, will make the Mi Box light blink as well.

This blinking light makes me feel like I am doing things right. Am I?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is seriously wrong if all OBCs are 134. That should be the Device, not the OBC. The OBCs should be different for each command. You should not edit the hex, just the OBC. Editing the hex works, but it just more difficult unless you know how to count in hex. Typically only computer programmers and mathematicians know hex.

There's a 99.9% chance that all other codes won't do anything. So that behavior is normal. You are on the right track if the known functions work and you changed only the last byte. Just change your process to modify the OBC, not the hex. If OBC is truly 134, can you post a screenshot? I cannot imagine a scenario that would cause this.

If all 256 OBCs don't do anything with Device 134, then you can try all 256 using Device 60.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the first upgrade posted, it shows up using a manual protocol and all the OBCs do indeed show up as 134.

If you use this upgrade, after adding the Xiaomi entry to protocols.ini, then the OBCs will show up with the correct values.
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, however I am getting that error again:

Quote:
No protocol found with name="Xiaomi", ID=02 3B, and variantName=""

The selected protocol "Acer Keyboard" (01 11 :JP1) is not compatible with the selected remote. This upgrade will NOT function correctly. Please choose a different protocol.

I did notice that when I went to download the correct RMDU file, underneath is a download from Sourceforge for a Protocol.ini file. Do I need to "install" it?

I went to the wiki from the RMIR software and the instructions looked old (ie, there is no Protocols tab). If I am suppose to upgrade the protocols? How do I do that?

The page from the wiki is: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Protocol_Upgrades
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had fixed protocols.ini earlier. In any case, to install, simply copy the file into the same folder RM is in, overwriting the original, then restart RM.

That wiki refers to our original software called IR. It doesn't directly apply to RM and doesn't apply at all to protocols.ini.
Jeff2525

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works perfectly, and was beyond simple. I don't know why it was working yesterday with the wrong RMDU file, as I never even noticed there was a protocol file. Either way, everything is working and now the OBC numbers are different for each function.

Hopefully this will be my last question I bug you all with. To test for other functions, what value do I change?

I assume I only have to change one value, as the other values appear to auto change.

If I am suppose to add the Hex, do I also have to try the ones that end with letters (ie, 86 0A)?

So essentially, what value do I add to (EFC5, OBC, or Hex) and what format/intervals do I use:

Code:
(For OBC) 1, 2... up to 256.  That changes the Hex to 00 01, 00 02...

Code:
(For Hex) 86 01, 86 02... up to 86 99, and 86 0A, 86 1A... up 86 9Z.

Or, while I am looking it it, the more probable:
Code:
(For EFC5) 140001, 140002... up to 140256
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just OBC 0-255. EFCs are encrypted, so the values wouldn't make any sense.

FYI, hex would be 00-FF. Hex means base 16, so instead of digits 0-9, they continue past 9 as A-F. You'll see how it works when you add your OBCs.

Device will be 134 for all the OBCs you add.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: