JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Device Upgrade saved is not the same when retrieved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airauto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: A Device Upgrade saved is not the same when retrieved. Reply with quote

I modified this file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10005

for a Samsung TV UN65H8000AF and included the upgrade in this file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14422

The modified file works fine until I save it and pull it up again. The retrieved file doesn't work. It contains a different protocol and possibly other changes, and I have to go back to the original text file and modify it all over again to get it to work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original text file is a KM upgrade file which uses the NECx2 with device code 7.7. I assume the RMIR file that you posted is the "before" file that works, and certainly, the TV/1060 upgrade in it looks pretty much the same as the one in the KM file.

What I can't tell from your post, is what things look like after you download from the remote, so I can't see the changed protocol, etc.

Having said that, generally speaking, you don't want to be downloading from the remote and using that data because you will lose any text fields, like notes and comments, etc, it's better to always work from the RMIR file that you created.
airauto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is a image of what I get when I use the same file in XP or Win 10.
I use XP because my JP1 cable is connected to the printer port. I build the file in XP and upload it to the remote. It works fine. After I save the file and call it up and upload it, it doesn't work since it's changed.

I would rather call it up from the file to make modifications, but since it is changed I can't unless I rebuild the file again.

Why are the files different in the two operating systems? The protocols.ini file are the same on both machines.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14429
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely have some sort of setup issue on your Win10 machine. When you click on the protocol drop down, do you see any normal protocols? What about NECx2, is that in the list?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Can you check again? If I'm interpreting the images correctly, the one on the left is the Win 10 computer, and it shows an upgrade with the expected NECx2 executor and correct fixed data (31 1F 1F). The XP image shows PID:005A and the wrong fixed data.

airauto:
I'm really not certain what you have done. However, please start RMIR on the XP computer and click Help About. Note which version of Java RMIR is running under, and whether the OS is x86 or amd64. Let's compare that to the same info from the Win 10 computer. As a guess, RMIR on your XP computer may be running Java 1.6. It needs to be at least 1.7.

I think we can be more helpful if you would tells us what you're doing, using the terms "load from disk", "write to disk", "upload to remote" and "download from remote". Terms like "retrieve" or "call up" confuse me.

For what it is worth, I would expect the workflow to be: Start RMIR, download from the 6131, delete any upgrade associated with the Samsung TV, load the KM file from disk, modify it, save the upgrade to disk as a RMDU file, save the RMIR file to disk, and upload to the remote. As part of the upload process, RMIR will read back from the remote and verify that the memory does have the uploaded info. Now you can download from the remote, save the resulting RMIR file, and then compare the two RMIR files to see if they are the same.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed the one with PID:005A was the Win10 machine, but if it's the other way around then yes, whichever machine is not recognizing NECx2 is the one that is not set up correctly.

I just re-read the original post and it's still no clearer to me.
airauto wrote:
The link is a image of what I get when I use the same file in XP or Win 10.
I use XP because my JP1 cable is connected to the printer port. I build the file in XP and upload it to the remote. It works fine. After I save the file and call it up and upload it, it doesn't work since it's changed.

I would rather call it up from the file to make modifications, but since it is changed I can't unless I rebuild the file again.

Why are the files different in the two operating systems? The protocols.ini file are the same on both machines.

From the above, I get that he's using an old XP machine because he has an old JP1 cable connected, so I'm not clear where Win10 comes into the picture. If he's building the RMDU and RMIR files on the XP machine as stated, and I assume any downloading is also done from the XP machine, I'm not sure where it's going wrong. Putting my Sherlock Holmes hat on, re-reading the line "After I save the file and call it up and upload it, it doesn't work since it's changed", it sounds like he might simply be saving the file on his computer and re-opening it, rather than loading it up into a remote and downloading it. If that is the case, I'm even more confused.

Of course, this would all be a lot easier to diagnose if we were given clearer information.
airauto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PID:005A is the file after I load it from the saved file on the XP. I'm doing everything on the XP. I do the upgrade and up load it to the remote URC 6131 Old Ext 2K. Everything works fine. I then save the RMIR file to the XP for future tweaking. When I want to make some small mods to the remote, I load the RMIR file on the XP but the TV upgrade is different. The other upgrades are fine. I have to restart the TV upgrade from the Samsung upgrade file mentioned in the first post, rebuild it the way I want it and upload it to the remote before saving it again. I only used the Win 10 machine to pull up the file I save on the XP machine to see if the RMIR file acted the same. When I did that the file came up with the TV upgrade the way I want it, and I can make additional changes. However I have to use the xp machine to upload it to the remote. But on the xp machine, the upgrade is change again.

How can I save the upgrade file in txt format? The txt file seems to load ok.

I guess the simplest thing is to get a usb jp1 cable. I found some on line, but they are JP1.2/1.3. Are they backwards compatible? Will it work with my 6131 remote? Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing everything through RMIR? Have you tried you using the stand-alone RM at any point? Have you tried using RM to create the TV upgrade and saving it as an RMDU file, and if you have, did you have the same problem when you re-open the RMDU file using RM?

If that works, have you tried importing that RMDU into your remote image in RMIR, and if so, do you still get the same problem as before?

Does this only happen with the NECx2 protocol? What about if you use a standard NEC2 or NEC1 protocol, does the same issue happen? (I'm not suggesting that you try using NEC2 or NEC1 to control your TV, just trying to narrow down where RMIR might be going wrong).

You have upgrades in there for your Tivo and Yamaha RX765, do those open up properly?
airauto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both RMIR and RM and both exhibit the same problem. So far this is the first time I've had to use NECx2 protocol. I have created an upgrade for my Visio TV this uses a NEC1 protocol. I have not had a problem with that. My Yamaha and Tivo upgrades work just fine in both RMIR and RM.

Ever since I bought my first JP1 cable and URC 6131 from you, I've made upgrades modifying upgrades from the file section for my friends with Sony, Verizon, Quasar, Pioneer, Motorola, Mitsubishi, Marantz, and Fujitsu. I've never had a problem until this Samsung.

Your not gonna believe this: I downloaded from my remote with RMIR, then loaded the above file in the first post, said no to save the downloaded file, and the saved RMIR file loaded correctly. Maybe there is something screwy going on with my old XP machine.

I need to get a usb JP1 cable. Do they make those? What is JP1.2/3? Will that work? Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airauto wrote:
I need to get a usb JP1 cable. Do they make those? What is JP1.2/3? Will that work? Thanks.

THIS plus THIS or THIS
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
airauto wrote:

THIS plus THIS or THIS

To go the USB route, get the JP1 adapter from the first link (DIY) that Dave posted, then get the USB cable from the 3rd link (ebay). Each are about $10. The ebay cable comes with individual connectors, rather than the standard 6-hole connector that you are used to, so use this post to show you how to connect it to the adapter.

Back to your current situation, are you saying that if you select NEC2 instead of NECx2, the file will open properly? If so, try that, because I think Samsung devices will respond to the NEC2 signal just as well as the NECx2 signal. NEC1 should also work but repeating buttons won't repeat.
airauto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what I'm saying, and I don't understand this. I just found this out by accident. When I download from the remote every thing is fine except I don't have the detail and comments. I then go to retrieve the RMIR file, answer no to save the downloaded remote file, the RMIR file then comes up with everything intact including the NECx2 protocol. I can live with the extra step, and I'm pushing ahead with the mod.

Now back to the USB/JP1 cable. What is the advantage of the ebay cable with the individual connectors rather than the 6 hole connector? Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airauto wrote:
No, what I'm saying, and I don't understand this. I just found this out by accident. When I download from the remote every thing is fine except I don't have the detail and comments. I then go to retrieve the RMIR file, answer no to save the downloaded remote file, the RMIR file then comes up with everything intact including the NECx2 protocol. I can live with the extra step, and I'm pushing ahead with the mod.

That is totally weird.

airauto wrote:
Now back to the USB/JP1 cable. What is the advantage of the ebay cable with the individual connectors rather than the 6 hole connector? Thanks.

The ebay "chip_partner" cable is very well made and is very cheap ($7.69 plus $1.97 shipping). The DIY USB cable is usually $30 plus shipping, though I see it's on sale for $15 at the moment.

The 6 individual connectors won't be an issue for you, as you'll be connecting them to the adapter anyway, so you will effectively have a 6-hole connector.
airauto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your help. Thank you!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@airauto

As far as I can see, you haven't answered 3FG's question about what versions of Java you are using on your Win 10 and XP machines. I would also like to know what versions of RMIR you are using on the two machines. My suspicion is that the problems are caused by an out-of-date version of RMIR on the XP machine, or perhaps Java 6 being used with a build of RMIR v2.04.

I also see that you asked earlier how to save an upgrade as a .txt file rather than a .rmdu file. You can't do this. The .txt upgrade format was a format used by a now-obsolete program called KeymapMaster (or often just KM). RMIR can read this format to maintain backward compatibility, but it can't write that format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: