JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AT&T U-verse remote S30-S1A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I get that it's arbitrary, just wanted to make sure that it's clear to everyone reading which pin is which (regardless of the numbering).

Btw, if anyone else wants to play with this remote, here's one for $5.49 on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252478493197

Here's a lot of 4 for $13.40 shipped on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272573907118

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could have measured earlier, but I just assumed that the 4 pin header in this remote has the typical 0.1" spacing, 0.025" (0.63mm) square pin. Direct experimentation proves otherwise. The header is 2mm pin spacing, with 0.5mm square pins. I imagine that the 0.13mm difference in dimension will pretty much ensure a lousy connection to a standard female socket like we see on the Chip Partner cable. Maybe it would be practical to wedge in something to press the sockets laterally towards the pins.

Now that I've looked more carefully, the rectangular hole above the header is 3.5mm X 11.5mm, and the PCB surface is 17mm below the surface of the remote case. Also, the center line through the 4 pins is seemingly offset a little towards the battery.

Harwin makes the appropriate connectors, and of course so do others. I suppose that UEI uses a connector similar to the M22-6540442R and solders it to a 1mm thick PCB. This would make an easily handled, robust connection.

For us, I think one could use M22-3040042 crimp contacts with individual wires, or put these same contacts into a M22-3010400 housing. However, the housing is only 7mm tall, so there would be 10mm of wire between the top of the housing and the first point our fingers could touch. Maybe the wires and housing could be glued to the equivalent of a popsicle stick.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, while you have the remote opened up, do you think you could jerry rig a connection, maybe using alligator clips or something similar, or maybe even just soldering wires to the tips of the 4-pin, in order to try downloading from the remote. Apart from verifying the pinout, this would also let us see what's inside and what might be possible, and whether it's even worth pursuing much further.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about soldering to the pins, but decided to order some parts instead. Delivery is said to be on Thursday, so I may be able to attempt communication this weekend.

I bought this Molex receptacle and the associated contacts. Molex makes a 4 pin version, but the 10 pin version seems to be the only one stocked by distributors. I'll need to cut off the latch and trim the sides. This way I should be able to make connection without possibility of shorting out the pins.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, will be interesting to see what the "EEPROM" area looks like.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a starter RDF file. Button numbers aren't fully tested yet, and mostly I haven't filled in the standard equivalents for button names. The remote does accept macros from RMIR. Haven't checked keymoves yet. Remote doesn't seem to accept a 995 or 994 command, but does do a 983 signature blink back.

Note that the button maps for TV and Video/Audio device modes are very limited. There is only one Digit Table entry, not that it is important to us. Plenty of E2 memory space.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your RMIR file too please? When they program these remotes for your TV the POWER button sends a 2 button macro with both power buttons (ie, TV and the STB) so I was wondering if that shows up in the E2 area or if it's programmed into the ROM.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post it tonight. In the meantime, I can tell you that the macro is in the E2 area and it seems to call buttons $02 and $04, which I've assumed are the OnDemand and MyMultiview buttons. If that is correct, then maybe the remote changes the meaning of these two buttons based on context.
BTW, I bought a few extra parts so I could send these to you and mdavej if you want to experiment yourselves.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, those should really be phantom buttons, here's why I think so: there's only 1 POWER button on the remote and when you press it, it turns on/off both the TV and the STB, so my assumption is that the keymaps for TV and STB include the phantom power buttons and the macro invokes them.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added map and image.

Last edited by mdavej on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Thanks for the map/image files. They seem to work fine. Here's the original RMIR file, but I have had to revise a few of the button numbers, so I'm not sure if everything will display correctly. However, the OnDemand an MyMultiview buttons are definitely $02 and $04, and these are the button numbers called by the Power on Macro, and the macro does send appropriate power signals to the TV and Audio components. If instead buttons $02 and $04 are called from a macro assigned to the Yellow_A button, the STB codes are sent. I don't see any phantoms at all. The remote has 47 physical buttons, and the STB button map has 47 button numbers. I think the remote must have special handling for the Power button macro.

I haven't been able to get keymoves to work, but I have left the associated segment in the list in the RDF file.

RDF is updated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the RDF to use the map that Dave provided.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
However, the OnDemand an MyMultiview buttons are definitely $02 and $04, and these are the button numbers called by the Power on Macro, and the macro does send appropriate power signals to the TV and Audio components. If instead buttons $02 and $04 are called from a macro assigned to the Yellow_A button, the STB codes are sent. I don't see any phantoms at all. The remote has 47 physical buttons, and the STB button map has 47 button numbers. I think the remote must have special handling for the Power button macro.

Curious. That doesn't make any sense, but I guess we'll figure it out over time.

How did you determine the button codes, are there markings on the PCB or did you use macros?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I captured the Nokia signals being sent by the remote for each button. I used RMIR with a candidate RDF to upload macros and then captured the resulting OBCs shot by the macros. (IRScope in conjunction with a IR Widget can capture the entire macro.) Comparing the OBCs showed that some of the assumed button numbers in the candidate RDF were wrong, so I edited the RDF file to match up the OBCs.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a few generic button aliases and changed MyMultimedia to MyMultiview in the RDF and Map. Also replaced RDF file with zip of RDF, Map and Image and deleted my old map/image zip.

I didn't use any button codes in the map, so as long as the names match in the RDF, they will still work even if you move them.

I noticed that TV has far more buttons in its map than STB. So in RM, unless you use a TV device type, most commands will be keymoves (no yellow circles in the button view either).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: