JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7960 Sending Double Press for Volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: URC-7960 Sending Double Press for Volume Reply with quote

I have got my Yamaha YSP 500 sound bar working OK with my URC7960 using Protocol NEC1 Protocol ID 00 5A Device 120.

The only issue is that the volume on the Yamaha changes in very small increments so it takes a lot of key presses on the Vol + or - button to have a significant effect. So I would like to program the volume up and down keys to always send a double (or even maybe treble depending on how it goes) press. I can do it with a macro but on this remote macros don't work in activity mode, and that is what I always use.

I've read about people getting unwanted double presses send, so the question is, can I change the IR command itself within RMIR to always send a double press for the volume buttons?

The specific entries for the volume up and down buttons are:

Vol + EFC5 00246 EFC 246 OBC 30 HEX 87
Vol - EFC5 00250 EFC 246 OBC 31 HEX 07

Thanks in advance
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hold the volume buttons down on your JP1 remote, does the volume keep changing, or do you have to keep tapping the button? And what about with the original remote, can you hold the volume buttons down on that?

If your situation is that the volume buttons DO repeat on the original remote, but NOT on the JP1 remote, the problem is likely that the protocol should be NEC2 rather than NEC1.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both original remote and my JP1 remote the volume does keep increasing/decreasing if I hold a volume button down. The problem is that the change in volume per single button press is very small. The volume number on the Yamaha goes from 0 to 100 and each button press moves it by one either way, so you either have to hold the button down, which is imprecise and you tend to overshoot, or hit the button a lot of times to get a significant change. The same change in volume achieved by one button press on our TV takes 2 or 3 presses to achieve on the Soundbar. I was hoping to improve this by sending 2 or 3 commands for every one button press to increase the "gearing" of the Yamaha volume control. I appreciate that this is very much a first world problem, but if I can improve the volume response by a simple bit of coding I would like to do it.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is possible to write a custom executor which changes the repeat behavior for selected buttons. But it does take some effort by somebody knowledgeable in S3F80 assembler and in the UEI executor format.

Have you considered using the volume memory capability of the YSP in conjunction with the -20dB muting? Sound projector IR codes
You can save 3 volume settings using
A 78 70 = device 120, OBC 112
B 78 72 = device 120, OBC 114
C 78 74 = device 120, OBC 116
and recall these settings with
A 78 71 = device 120, OBC 113
B 78 73 = device 120, OBC 115
C 78 75 = device 120, OBC 117

Mute -20dB is device 126, OBC 223. Since 126 is a different device number, you'd probably need to use the NEC 4DEV executor.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do already use the memories for variations of the surround sound settings, so I can't use them to simply adjust the volume, plus it wouldn't be very wife friendly to have buttons other than volume up and down to control the volume.

It sounds like there probably isn't a simple solution like I'd hoped, so I think I will just have to live with it. Thanks for the idea though.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: URC-7960 Sending Double Press for Volume Reply with quote

GeoffT wrote:
I can do it with a macro but on this remote macros don't work in activity mode,

What I did with this remote is stop using the activity modes at all, for this reason.

I wonder if the new 7980 has this problem? I will soon find out: I have one on order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: