JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help needed: "Character" button on Sony AV-Receive
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Quote:
That does not match my understanding of it, which is as follows:
Each "shiftable" button (the one with the pink imprint above it) can transmit only TWO different codes: one when pressed "first time" and the other when preceded by SHIFT press (let's call this one a "pink" code).
The SHIFT button press itself does not transmit anything, and just makes the next-pressed "shiftable" button to transmit the pink code.
Unlike, the CHARACTER button actually does transmit the pink (shifted) code, which changes the way the amplifier interprets the next received alpha-numerical relevant code (digit/small/capital).
Whether the CHARACTER button transmits the non-pink code by itself (without pressing SHIFT first), and if it does, whether it is the same as its pink code (that's what Vicky asked) - I don't know.
You may be right and it is difficult to say without the original remote, but your lack of success in finding a code for the CHARACTER button and Rob's list showing different codes for upper and lower case leads me to believe not. The way I paraphrase my last quote from the manual is:

The 12 buttons will normally send the code for input selection as shown on the face of the button. Pressing SHIFT will put the remote into the "number" mode, where each of the 12 buttons will send the number shown above the button. If the SHIFT is immediately followed by CHARACTER the remote will now send "lower case letters" and if CHARACTER is pressed again, it will send "upper case letters".

All this is guessing based on my interpretation of the user manual. If someone has the original remote, the actual implementation could be determined.

I found THIS page, that contains the following info (I highlighted the part of it, which is of our interest, in red) :
Quote:
I found the solution. Unlike what the manual says, if you want to toggle between upper and lower case and numerics, use "shift-CHARACTER" and pressing repeatedly toggles the display at the bottom of the screen, showing the state being lower, upper, or numeric.

So, according to the quote above, when shift-CHARACTER is pressed, it actually changes something in the on-screen menu. Essentially meaning that the transmission occurs on the shift-CHARACTER buttonpress and it is received and interpreted by the amplifier, which in turn, updates the display of the on-screen menu each time you press shift-CHARACTER.

Of course, I can not be 100% sure, but that's my interpretation of that quote.

With the original remote, I agree with you, all this would be two-lines-long discussion. :-)
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. If something changes on the screen, then a command is being sent. It's hard to believe that no one on the JP1 forum has this remote. It's also odd that no one captured it when creating a device upgrade. I hope someone solves this.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it. Yes, just by trial and fail.

There are five (five!) different Protocol/Dev/Subdev combinations used by this remote:

Sony15/48
Sony15/176
Sony20/16/8
Sony20/16/40
Sony20/16/104

But "Persistence Pays" or "Third time lucky" - the code for CHARACTER buttonpress is Sony20/16/8, OBC=90

(of course, thanks to Mr. Murphy, it had to be in the middle of the list :-)

And yes, CHARACTER buttonpress does transmit that code, as the menu display changes, indicating whether the next received character will be interpreted as small, capital or digit.
So, every "shiftable" button only can transmit two different codes for "shifted" and "non-shifted" press.

Thanks to all participants for their contribution.

I will consider making the full JP1 upgrade for this device, but I might need someone's guidance as to how to combine five combinations above in one upgrade.
chuliu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. You have done the difficult part.
Regarding combining the 5 sony protocols, I copied and pasted the following from remotemaster:

Sony Combo (12/15/20) instructions: Enter the 4 Sony20 sub-device numbers on the Setup panel. On the Functions panel, you enter the codes for the functions in OBC format as usual. Then you select the desired protocol for the function. Next enter the desired device number. If you enter a device number greater than 31, the protocol will be changed to Sony15, as it is the only one that supports values greater than 31. For Sony12 and Sony15, the Sub-device column must have the value "none". For Sony20 functions, select the desired sub-device number.

It seems you need only 3 sony 20 and 2 sony 15.
Therefore, I assume you only need to enter 3 sub device into the protocol parameters in the setup tab. Then in the fucntions tab enter obc as normal. For sony 15 enter device number and leave sub device as none. For sony 20, enter device and select sub device in the list.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of Chuliu's file with the Character button added:
{{deleted}}

Feel free to delete all the functions that don't work, and add any others that you've found that do work and re-load it.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. The upgrade is HERE.

Forgot to assign the rmdu icon there - moderators, can you pls fix that.

Thanks again to all participants in this topic.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icon fixed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: