JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help needed: "Character" button on Sony AV-Receive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Help needed: "Character" button on Sony AV-Receive Reply with quote

1. Device: Sony AV-Receiver STR-DN1030
2. Type of device: AV-Receiver
3. Year: 2012 (?)
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8811/8910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? YES
10. Learning remote question? n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes

Story:
I have a subj receiver (without the original remote), and found the remote codes for it by d/loading the config from Logitech Harmony site for my Harmony 200.

The problem is that the button set there is incomplete, and one particular button is missing that's critical for the following reason: to enter the passkey for connecting to the WPA2 secured WiFi network, you have to be able (in my case) to enter smalls, capitals, and numbers via remote control. To switch between those, the original Sony remote has a special button called "Character". However, the Harmony config doesn't have that button...

I have also checked ALL upgrades from the file section of this site for Sony receivers that start with STR-D****, and none of them contains the button called "Character". I also checked the Lookup Tool for Sony Audio and haven't found this code name either.

If someone could help me with the button code for "Character" button on the Sony AV-receivers (STR-D series), that'd be much appreciated.

Thank you.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14280

Here is a rmdu file that I obtained from my nevo c2 at ez-rc.com by adding strd1030 to device. Then with rmir, I save the device to rmdu.

Please take a look to see if there could be anything close to what you are looking for.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed: "Missing" button on Sony AV-Recei Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
1. Device: Sony AV-Receiver STR-DN1030
2. Type of device: AV-Receiver
3. Year: 2012 (?)
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8811/8910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? YES
10. Learning remote question? n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes

Story:
I have a subj receiver (without the original remote), and found the remote codes for it by d/loading the config from Logitech Harmony site for my Harmony 200.

The problem is that the button set there is incomplete, and one particular button is missing that's critical for the following reason: to enter the passkey for connecting to the WPA2 secured WiFi network, you have to be able (in my case) to enter smalls, capitals, and numbers via remote control. To switch between those, the original Sony remote has a special button called "Character". However, the Harmony config doesn't have that button...

I have also checked ALL upgrades from the file section of this site for Sony receivers that start with STR-D****, and none of them contains the button called "Character". I also checked the Lookup Tool for Sony Audio and haven't found this code name either.

If someone could help me with the button code for "Character" button on the Sony AV-receivers (STR-D series), that'd be much appreciated.

Thank you.

You shouldn't be looking for buttons named character, but instead, look for functions that looks like it has to do what your character button does.

Does the character button on the original remote has a second fucntion/name as printed on the remote?

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Sony remote (RM-AAP078) image.
You access the character function by pressing SHIFT followed by the character button. I wonder if that means it sends a different code than the Blank white button sends.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chuliu and Vicky.

As I stated in the description, I do not have the original remote, but I've now posted the internet picture of it below, so we all know what we are talking about.

chuliu, thanks for uploading the upgrade, but (as you mentioned) there is no button named "Character" in there, and as you can see from the picture below, the "unshifted" button is blank (no name), so there is no way for me to tell which button is relevant from your upgrade.

Vicky, as I don't have an original remote, I can not tell whether the emitted codes are different for that blank key when it is pressed "first time" or "after shift" (where it becomes "Character").
I can tell you though that yesterday I experimented a bit with the "shifted/unshifted" buttons (in my Harmony config, they appear as the pairs of separate buttons - for example "VIDEO1" is a separate button from "4 ghi" button in that Harmony config).
To cut the long story short, most of the buttons, whether "shifted" or "unshifted", use protocol Sony15 (Dev48) and, coming back to my example of button VIDEO1 - it sends just a different code (but still the same Protocol Sony15/48) when preceded by "SHIFT" buttonpress.
(Sorry I don't remember the particular OBCs now, but I can tell you when I get back home)

However, some buttons (for example, "Clear") use Sony20 protocol (at least that's what RMIR learn decoder tells me)

I don't know what actually to make of all this.

Thanks for your willing to help.

Remote:

http://i.imgur.com/cggF15i.jpg
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual is here: https://docs.sony.com/release/STRDN1030.pdf

On page 15 it describes how to enter characters:
Quote:
Numeric/text
Press SHIFT (V), then press numeric/text
buttons to
    preset/tune to the preset stations
    select track numbers. Press 0/10 to select track
    number 10.
    select channel numbers.
    select the letters (ABC, DEF, etc.),
    punctuation marks (!, ?, etc.) or other symbols
    (#, %, etc.) when you enter characters for
    network features.

The SHIFT button (22) in the figure on page 14 is near the top left and is named SHIFT. These instructions do not indicate that you need to use the plain white button labeled CHARACTER. If the files you found have a definition for the SHIFT function - assign it to a button and see if that does what you want.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I didn't misread your post.

Yep. I read the manual and the procedure.

The SHIFT button itself on the original remote does not transmit anything.
It just changes (internally to remote) the code that gets transmitted on the next (after SHIFT) buttonpress.

Example:
When VIDEO1 button is pressed, the transmitted code is SONY15/48 OBC=03

When we first press NEXT (no transmission) and then VIDEO1, it "becomes" numerical digit 4, and the transmitted code is SONY15/48 OBC=27

(I made up both OBC codes above, just as an example)

Therefore, in any upgrade which is intended for use in non-original remote (be it JP1 or Harmony or Nevo), there will be no SHIFT button, because all that button does is just control the specific hardware (the original remote) and it is not associated with any transmission code.

The upgrades I was referring to contain TWO buttons (with the non-shifted and with shifted codes) for each dual-function button of the original remote, but none of those upgrades or configs contain the code for that blank button or the code for its "shifted" function (when it becomes "CHARACTER").

I assume Vicky asked for the transmitted code difference just out of curiosity.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested all the OBCs for Sony15 (Dev48) that aren't already accounted for?
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Have you tested all the OBCs for Sony15 (Dev48) that aren't already accounted for?

I've tested about first 30 of them so far to no avail. The process is awkward as quite a few unknown codes simply kick me out of keypass entering menu, so I have to re-enter it again, which is a "turtle-quick" exercise for 1) GUI menu itself on this receiver is pretty slow; 2) Every time, it has to search for available network SSID's before it finds mine, and that takes about a minute or so...

So the answer to your question Rob is no, not all of them, but I am S-L-O-W-L-Y working on that...

Besides, as I mentioned before, I found that some buttons use Sony20 protocol, which has doubled (roughly) the number of variants... :-)
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I believe I understand. Without the original remote it is hard to tell, but I don't think the SHIFT button or the CHARACTER button actually send a code to the receiver. On page 15 it says:
Quote:
CHARACTER
Press SHIFT, then press CHARACTER to select the character type for network features. Each time you press CHARACTER, the character type changes in sequence as follows: "abc" (lowercase letters) -> "ABC" (uppercase letters) -> "123" (numbers)
Both the SHIFT and CHARACTER button only change the internal state of the remote. Depending on that internal state, the 12 buttons in that group (4) in the figure on page 14 will send different characters. You don't need the code for one button (the CHARACTER button) but you need 36 codes: 12 sent in lower case mode, 12 sent in uppercase mode, and 12 sent in number mode. I haven't looked at the files you have checked. Are all these codes there? If so you will have a few choices on how to program your remote to achieve a similar effect.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi You may already know this but an iOS/android app called media remote from sony can emulate sony remote to control str-dn1030 over wifi I think. That said, your str-dn1030 needs to be connected to wifi in the first place. Does it have ethernet port?

Other way includes change your wifi key.

Sorry it may sounds imperfect, but you only configure your str-dn1030 once in a long time to connect to wifi.

And as I checked it does have ethernet port so you can connect first wired to set up wifi with the app.
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you can do taobao:

https://world.taobao.com/item/529058035113.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.V77X0U#detail
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
OK, I believe I understand. Without the original remote it is hard to tell, but I don't think the SHIFT button or the CHARACTER button actually send a code to the receiver. On page 15 it says:
Quote:
CHARACTER
Press SHIFT, then press CHARACTER to select the character type for network features. Each time you press CHARACTER, the character type changes in sequence as follows: "abc" (lowercase letters) -> "ABC" (uppercase letters) -> "123" (numbers)
Both the SHIFT and CHARACTER button only change the internal state of the remote. Depending on that internal state, the 12 buttons in that group (4) in the figure on page 14 will send different characters. You don't need the code for one button (the CHARACTER button) but you need 36 codes: 12 sent in lower case mode, 12 sent in uppercase mode, and 12 sent in number mode. I haven't looked at the files you have checked. Are all these codes there? If so you will have a few choices on how to program your remote to achieve a similar effect.

That does not match my understanding of it, which is as follows:
Each "shiftable" button (the one with the pink imprint above it) can transmit only TWO different codes: one when pressed "first time" and the other when preceded by SHIFT press (let's call this one a "pink" code).
The SHIFT button press itself does not transmit anything, and just makes the next-pressed "shiftable" button to transmit the pink code.
Unlike, the CHARACTER button actually does transmit the pink (shifted) code, which changes the way the amplifier interprets the next received alpha-numerical relevant code (digit/small/capital).
Whether the CHARACTER button transmits the non-pink code by itself (without pressing SHIFT first), and if it does, whether it is the same as its pink code (that's what Vicky asked) - I don't know.

Examples (the receiver is in the WPA2 keypass input state):
SHIFT then VIDEO1 pressed: digit "4" is input in a password
SHIFT then CHARACTER pressed: next SHIFT->VIDEO1 press will be input as small "g'
another SHIFT then CHARACTER pressed: next SHIFT->VIDEO1 press will be input as uppercase "G'
another SHIFT then CHARACTER pressed: next SHIFT->VIDEO1 press will be input as "4" again.
VIDEO1 (non-shifted) button pressed: VIDEO1 input selected (that throws receiver out of the password entering mode)
------------------

chuliu, thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I can buy the original remote on ebay (in fact, that's where I got the picture above from).
Changing the WPA2 Keypass though is not a good option, as I will have to also change it in all connected devices around (including relatives and friends who visit every now and then)

Though, these are considered workarounds (:-), if we take as a reference my original question "What is the OBC code for CHARACTER button?".
To answer that, I guess I have to either find someone with the original remote and the JP1 learning remote together, or work through all unused SONY15/20 codes myself...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am inclined to agree that the remote probably does send different signals for upper and lower case letters. Here is the page that details the codes for the letters for a Sony Minidisc, you'll see that it uses standard codes from Sony12(15) for the main buttons, and Sony20(26.97) for the keyboard characters.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That does not match my understanding of it, which is as follows:
Each "shiftable" button (the one with the pink imprint above it) can transmit only TWO different codes: one when pressed "first time" and the other when preceded by SHIFT press (let's call this one a "pink" code).
The SHIFT button press itself does not transmit anything, and just makes the next-pressed "shiftable" button to transmit the pink code.
Unlike, the CHARACTER button actually does transmit the pink (shifted) code, which changes the way the amplifier interprets the next received alpha-numerical relevant code (digit/small/capital).
Whether the CHARACTER button transmits the non-pink code by itself (without pressing SHIFT first), and if it does, whether it is the same as its pink code (that's what Vicky asked) - I don't know.
You may be right and it is difficult to say without the original remote, but your lack of success in finding a code for the CHARACTER button and Rob's list showing different codes for upper and lower case leads me to believe not. The way I paraphrase my last quote from the manual is:

The 12 buttons will normally send the code for input selection as shown on the face of the button. Pressing SHIFT will put the remote into the "number" mode, where each of the 12 buttons will send the number shown above the button. If the SHIFT is immediately followed by CHARACTER the remote will now send "lower case letters" and if CHARACTER is pressed again, it will send "upper case letters".

All this is guessing based on my interpretation of the user manual. If someone has the original remote, the actual implementation could be determined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: