JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 6131 and EEPROM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogulman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: URC 6131 and EEPROM Reply with quote

I've been using the 15-1994 for a while. I have a few of them.

Anyway.. I bought one of these URC 6131 remotes from Best Buy because it has the nifty Tivo buttons that seem to work great for my Directivo. I had to do a bunch of button moves and map some advanced codes to some buttons to make it work the way I want.

My questions:
In the manual it says that this remote will only hold its memory for 10 minutes when batteries are changed. If send in my 6131 for an EEPROM upgrade, will this also change the memory so that everything is stored indefinitely, or are codes and moves still stored in RAM?

Also, If they upgrade it and put on a JP1, can I then backup my remote using IR? The reason I ask is that I think I read that some of the button moves on the 6131 don't show up in IR because of a change in the way UIEC changed things in this remote. Is this true?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send it in for an upgrade, they will replace it with a remote that has a 1k EEPROM chip on board (rather than the 2k chip that we normally use here in the JP1 world), but you will then be able to use JP1 with it.
mogulman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's only 1k eeprom, but I already bought the remote and don't want to hassle with adding the chip myself. I wish I had bought yours rather then this one.

Rob.. So I know you probably didn't have time to read my entire email.

If I add the eeprom, will codes and moves be stored indefinitely, like the 15-1994? Currently, with the 6131 I think it loses its memory after like 10 minutes without batteries.
mogulman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your directions in yahoo files. It seems fairly straightforward to put in the eeprom and 6pin connector.

So..I guess my only question would be whether the eeprom will is used instead of ram to store codes and moves, so that the remote will retain settings for longer then the current 10 minutes with just ram.

If that's the case.. then I'd like to purchase an eeprom and 6 pin from you...
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mogulman wrote:
I looked at your directions in yahoo files. It seems fairly straightforward to put in the eeprom and 6pin connector.

So..I guess my only question would be whether the eeprom will is used instead of ram to store codes and moves, so that the remote will retain settings for longer then the current 10 minutes with just ram.

I'll answer for Rob -- Yes if the remote finds an eeprom it will use it rather than ram and setup codes, keymoves, etc. will last for years, even without batteries.

mogulman wrote:

If that's the case.. then I'd like to purchase an eeprom and 6 pin from you...

I'll answer this one as well (but I'm not selling you anything). Check out the marketplace forum and the post "Rob's remotes for sale". Rob lists the prices for everything he's got with instructions on how to send money, etc.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: URC 6131 and EEPROM Reply with quote

mogulman wrote:

Also, If they upgrade it and put on a JP1, can I then backup my remote using IR? The reason I ask is that I think I read that some of the button moves on the 6131 don't show up in IR because of a change in the way UIEC changed things in this remote. Is this true?

You can do that backup.

For either the 1K or 2K chip the settings, including KeyMoves, are stored in eeprom.

IR.EXE (unless I missed a recent enhancement) doesn't correctly understand KeyMoves in the 6131. But that doesn't stop it from correctly backing up and restoring those KeyMoves.

If you use it to display, edit or add KeyMoves you need to understand some details of the difference between 6131 KeyMoves and what IR expects, so that you can manually do a little translation. That doesn't stop you from editing KeyMoves. It just makes it a bit harder than on models IR.EXE understands.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what John said! Smile
mogulman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got everything installed and downloaded my remote. Thanks Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: