JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes


FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't get URC-6011 and URC-6012 remotes to work with JP1

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ednedn



Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Can't get URC-6011 and URC-6012 remotes to work with JP1 Reply with quote

I've pretty much standardized on the URC-8810 remotes. But I decided to get a few URC-6011 and URC-6012 remotes off of eBay. The RemoteChart.pdf says these are JP1 remotes but are missing the connector pins.

I soldered the connecting pins into each remote and for the life of me, I can't get the software to see them or do anything with them. I believe they should be able to use the same JP1 cable (a USB JP1.2 with a JP1.2 to JP1 converter) as my URC-8810 remotes. But no matter what I try, I get the 'Remote not found' message. I've tried no batteries. I've tried very weak batteries. And of course I've tried new batteries. I've also tried talking to them in JP1.2 mode without the converter.

It's obvious these URC-6011 and URC-6012 remotes are setup for JP1. After all, they have the six pin header on the circuit board. And everything else (except for a few missing keys) are the same as the URC-8810 remote. (And I've verified I can read and write to my URC-8810 remotes.)

Can anybody give me some guidance? I would really like to get these remotes to do their thing!

Thank You!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdavej
Expert


Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Posts: 3693

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely must use the JP1 converter, same as with your 8810.

But those remotes also lack the EEPROM chip needed for programming. So you need to obtain and solder in those chips as well. You have unwittingly taken on a larger and more complex and expensive project than you thought. Even though each chip is only 35 cents, shipping is $8. If you want to pursue it further, this is what you'll need to do:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2590

Like your 8810, the 6011 and 6012 are both at least 14 years old. Additionally, they require rather extensive modification to work with JP1. Tell us what features you like, and perhaps we can recommend a newer model known to work without any soldering and possibly without even using a JP1 cable at all (standard USB instead).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ednedn



Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You so much for the help! I ordered 10x of the EEPROM's off of eBay! ($4.50 including the shipping for 10 of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/401025091933)

I don't mind doing a little work to get them going! Its a fun project. (And hardly any work compared to the effort it took for people to figure this stuff out!)

The parts are coming from China, so it will be a few weeks until I have them. But I'll come back and post my status. Hopefully, it will be a "EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT" message! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ednedn



Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Great Sadness Reply with quote

I received the 24LC16B chips from China. And I soldiered them into 2 of my URC-6011 remotes. I also added the JMP-2 wire.

Sadly, doing a Reset with a Setup-981 command results in 2 short blinks and 1 long blink.

And even more sadly, RMIR doesn't see any remotes. I think I got the surface mount EEPROM soldiered down correctly. Is it possible something else still needs to be done?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ednedn



Joined: 10 Aug 2012
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I unsoldiered the EEPROM chips. And was very careful to have no excess soldier anywhere. All three of the URC-6011 remotes did 4 short blinks when I gave them the Setup-981 command. And in fact, I've programmed them with RMIR and two of the work.

But the third one is acting like it isn't seeing any buttons being pressed. I noticed it was blinking its Red LED as if a button was being pressed even when nothing was being pressed. I took it apart, and used alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean all the contact areas. Well... That must have been a bad thing to do because now it isn't blinking the Red LED as if a button is pressed, but it isn't acknowledging anything when a button (including SETUP) is pressed.

I suspect I've destroyed that remote. But can anybody tell me what happened?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdavej
Expert


Joined: 08 Oct 2003
Posts: 3693

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible you've just got a stuck button after reassembly. I'd crack it back open, make sure the button sheet is clean on the contact side and properly aligned. Low batteries can also result in strange blinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Get Smart! the band's official homepage Rockabilly Central