JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volume macro on Nevo C2 problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guentjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Volume macro on Nevo C2 problem Reply with quote

Hi,

Equipment:
Remote: Nevo C2
TV: Sony
Box: Tivo

I'm trying to create a macro that turns on closed captions when I mute the TV and turns them off when I do volume up.

The tivo has discrete caption on/off. Muting and turning on the captions is easy. I can also turn off the captions when I hit volume up.

However, with the macro assigned to the volume up button, a long press of the volume up button doesn't allow the volume to continue to move up. You have to repeatedly press Vol+ to raise the volume more than 1 level.

I've found some info for other remotes that indicate that an extender will allow the last command of a macro to be held if the button is held, but can't figure that out for the Nevo.

Is it possible to program the remote or macro to continue to raise the volume if I have the volume + included in a macro?

Thanks,
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a similar request here recently. It seems that commands within a macro will not repeat. So it can never work.

A workaround could be a captions toggle macro on the mute button (Mute, Info, Down, Select, Info). Keep your caption discretes handy on the LCD in case things get out of sync.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guentjo,

Quote:
I've found some info for other remotes that indicate that an extender will allow the last command of a macro to be held if the button is held, but can't figure that out for the Nevo.

Is it possible to program the remote or macro to continue to raise the volume if I have the volume + included in a macro?

It looks like you have done a lot of research, so I am going to give you a more complete answer. When I write an extender, the remote treats any key as if it is in a macro. So no keys would repeat if I didn't turn off the "in a macro flag" when there is only one button to process. A side effect of this is the last button in a macro is treated like a regular button press and gives you the repeating of the last key in a macro when the button is held. It turns out this side-effect is a pretty useful feature.

In general, any button included in a UEI macro sends out a short signal that includes 3 frames of the signal, which usually isn't enough to cause repeating. Some equipment is sensitive to these extra frames and does repeat, so an adjustment that needs to be to protocol to cut off these extra frames. Since we do a lot of slingbox report and slingboxes treat all keys like they are in a macro, we have a lot of "no repeats" protocols included in our tools, but this doesn't help you. In the old processors we could tweak the protocol to repeat while held, but I don't know if it is even possible in the newer processors. Only a few experts know how to tweak executors for the newer remotes.

So to get to the point, until someone writes an extender, or writes a one of customized protocol executor for this particular signal especially for this macro, the answer is no.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
guentjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave and Vicky for your answers.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

Graham has said an extender for the Xsight/Nevo is impossible.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Dave. I am having a real hard time getting into the new stuff.

I have a Nevo that I got for Christmas and I still haven't plugged it! . I didn't realize that an extender would be impossible, one more reason to never plug it in. I like extenders! They make life with the parade of equipment changes we've had in the past few years. My remotes are intuitive, no matter which equipment I'm using. For me LKP's are godsend. For LKP I always use an LKP on the Mute button. It toggles muting on and off, even when muting is on a tripple toggle which goes from on, off and on when muting.

I rarely hear "impossible" in this forum. Apparently there are still things that can't be done....

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen and other built in features obvitate the need for most, but not all extender features. Check out the Xsight wiki for a full list. I've been spoiled by the screen. I'd have a hard time ditching it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do a Nevo video? I should at least give it a try. I am going to have to work up some enthusiasm.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. I've never done a youtube video.

But I did update our RM tutorials to cover features unique to Nevo:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Xsight.2FNevo

The big things are favorites, icons and activities. Button group mapping is built in, as are macro step pauses. Simplifies a lot of things that take quite a few macros, phantoms and macro steps to do in an extender. Biggest extender features you'd miss are toadtog and macros calling other macros. But I rarely needed those anyway. Simpler is better for my aging brain.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
That's a good idea. I've never done a youtube video.

Its an interesting experience. Makes you appreciate the people who read the news, lol

Quote:
But I did update our RM tutorials to cover features unique to Nevo:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version#Xsight.2FNevo

I'll give it a read and see if it makes it easier to start.

Quote:

The big things are favorites, icons and activities. Button group mapping is built in, as are macro step pauses. Simplifies a lot of things that take quite a few macros, phantoms and macro steps to do in an extender. Biggest extender features you'd miss are toadtog and macros calling other macros. But I rarely needed those anyway. Simpler is better for my aging brain.

I don't use toadtogs. I handle all that kind of stuff with LKPs because we have way too many remotes. I have one every place I am likely to sit. Its the LKP and the LKP Macro/calls that are going be a problem.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Nevo, you have to kind of take a step back and think big picture. I'm guessing many of your LKPs are for Nevo activities like "watch TV", "watch DVD", etc. So those would get a dedicated activity button on the screen instead of an LKP on a device button. The drawback is you have to press the activities button first in order to see the buttons. You'd never be able to do it all with one button press on Nevo.

What I do is use Nevo on my main home theater with tons of devices and activities, and use traditional JP1 remotes in other rooms where it's easier to mentally keep track of which buttons do what.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
With Nevo, you have to kind of take a step back and think big picture. I'm guessing many of your LKPs are for Nevo activities like "watch TV", "watch DVD", etc. So those would get a dedicated activity button on the screen instead of an LKP on a device button.

I do have 5 of those, but most of my LKP's are formed to access shift buttons without having to press setup. The fewer buttons the better.

Quote:
The drawback is you have to press the activities button first in order to see the buttons. You'd never be able to do it all with one button press on Nevo.

The fewer buttons I have to press the better, but I can live with that. I just don't like having to adjust my focus from the TV to the remote and back. It is quite a time consuming process. Hard button remotes don't require me to look at them. That's why i never wrote an extender for that one hybrid JP1.2 remote.

I think a Nevo might be nice for my husband. He still looks at the remote to find the button to press, so that might actually help him.

Quote:

What I do is use Nevo on my main home theater with tons of devices and activities, and use traditional JP1 remotes in other rooms where it's easier to mentally keep track of which buttons do what.

Yes, it might be nice. Being able to see button names. It is easy to forget where you put things otherwise. They seem so logical, but go away for 6 months at a time the way I do, and it becomes a chore to remember where those odd ball buttons are.

One of the things I've always wished for is a remote documentor that would put together a booklet for my remotes. I did it manually for my main space remotes a few years ago, and that I could tell my husband to RTFM when he had a question. LOL. Problem is we play musical chairs with our equipment and the manuals are all now out of date.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I rarely hear "impossible" in this forum. Apparently there are still things that can't be done....

We have no way to access the code in the XSight/Nevo, neither to read nor write it. Neither does EZ-RC, as the firmware updates that EZ-RC does are updates of data tables, not of code. I doubt very much that the code is accessible through the USB port, so in my view an extender really is impossible.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me some of the first explorations of remotes were done by blinking out the contents of memory, one byte at a time. Sometimes determination can trump impossible.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your thinking Vicky. But these remotes have megabytes of memory. Even if something like blinking out one bit at a time were an option, it would take a lifetime. At the end of the day, it's a TV remote that was discontinued 5 years ago, not a potential cure for cancer. I'm very grateful for what we have. It was a massive amount of effort to get this far. Just isn't worth the effort for the 5 people on the planet that would ever use toadtog, IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: