JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xsight and Nevo RF Home Automation Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Xsight and Nevo RF Home Automation Control Reply with quote

I just discovered that the RF versions of Xsight and Nevo (Xsight Touch, ARRX18G, and Nevo C3) can control many RF home automation devices directly via RF. On another forum, some European users have confirmed RF support for the following brands so far:

KlikAnnKlikUit
COCO
Intertechno
One For All

This thread has detailed instructions from OFA support for adding the above device(s) to a European Xsight:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/1157746-acoustic-research-xsight-remote-28.html#post46825497

Quote:
To add KlikAnnKlikUit or COCO or Intertechno devices (same things only differently branded) I just followed instruction I received from OneForAll:

When setting up the light control on the Xsight you can use the device Home Automation, and the brand One For All.
The COCO devices work on the same codes as the One For All light switches.
In our One For All Home automations codes you will find 12 codes, these 12 codes correspond to the letters A,B,C on the COCO units. Then the numberkeys 1 till 9 and 0 will correspond to the COCO switches numbers 1,2,3, etc.
If these COCO switches are the newer ones, you could learn the COCO switches from the Xsight on any of the 12 codes under Home Automation and brand One For All

To set up the Light Control on your remote, please follow this procedure:

1. On the Xsight, go to Settings and then to RF On/Off. The display should read 'RF Transmission is currently ON'.
2. Click OK.
3. You should still be in the Settings menu. Click Device Setup and then Add Device.
4. The display will read: 'What is it?'.
5. Choose Home Automation.
6. The display will read: 'Select Brand'.
7. Choose the brand One For All.
8. The display will read: 'Next, we'll make sure we've got the right codes. Turn on your One For All and point the remote towards it'.
9. Follow the instructions and click Begin Test.
10. The Display will read: 'One For All Home Automation Testing code 1/12. Test the Power Button...'.
11. Press Works on the first code.
12. The display will read: 'Congratulations! You've successfully set up your One For All Home Automation. Add another device?'.
13. Press No, press No again on the next question, and then press Home.

Now you will need to reset your RF Receiver:
Keep the button on the RF Receiver pressed until the red light starts to flash repeatedly. Release the button and then press it again. Keep it pressed until the red light turns off.

Now follow the next procedure:
14. On the Xsight, go to Devices.
15. Choose One for All Home automation.
16. Press 1 (or 2 or 3).
17. Keep the button on the RF Receiver pressed until the red light starts to flash repeatedly, then release the button.
18. Press Power On and the light should turn on, Press Power Off and the light should go out.

To program other Light controls, repeat steps 16-18.

Other Home Automation brands built into US Xsights:

Bionaire
Da-Lite
Frigidaire
Goldstar
Holmes
Kenmore
LG
Lutron
Russound
Sharper Image
Whirlpool
X10

I'll be adding to the list as I gather more information. If more supported devices are found, please post them in this thread.

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make a few comments to this:

(European) OfA already has make "Home Automation devices", at least with the models 7556 and 7781, and the extension kit "HC 8000". I wrote this review (in German) back in 2008. It is obviously the same protocol behind it that is now being "re-discovered".

It is one protocol that is quite close to the IR protocols we know and love. However, it does not use modulation. In principle, you just replace the IR sending LED by an RF sending module, which can be bought ridiculously cheap at EBay.

With the help of scattered information in the Internet, I was able to write an IRP description of it:
Code:

{0k,388}<1,-3|3,-1> (<0:2|2:2>((D-1):4,(S-1):4),40:7,F:1,0:1,-10.2m)+ [D:1..16,S:1..16,F:0..1]

Consider a typical specimen of such a power switch with "code wheel": It has a house number A up to P, an address 1 to 16, and a function: "on" and "off". In my parametrization, the house number corresponds to D (A = 1, B = 2, etc), the switch address corresponds to S. Finally, we let "on" be F=1, and "off" be F=0.

This protocol is obviously used by a number of manufacturers, I did a short Internet research, and came to the conclusion that appeared would be appropriate to name that protocol "Arctech". With that name, it is found in IrScrutinizer since a year or so. For example, turn on housecode A, address 1 is the signal, in Pronto notation
Code:
0100 000A 0000 0019 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 00A1 01E2 01E2 00A1 00A1 01E2 01E2 00A1 00A1 01E2 01E2 00A1 00A1 1267

It should be said that the more modern products from e.g. Intertechno use a protocol with larger parameter space ("16.7 million codes"). I am not aware of a nice parametrization of it yet. Dave, does the XSight implementation cover this?

Just as an aside. one method for sending the thus generated signals is to hook up e.g. an Arduino with a cheap sender module like this
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, Barf. I have yet to even see one of these RF protocols in RM, so I'm not sure how it would handle that 6 byte parameter space.
chileboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both RF Lutron and Insteon lighting (long story why I have a mix), and I'm trying to see if I can get my Nevo C3 to control them.

There is Lutron support, and I've downloaded and perused all of the files, but I understand about 10% of what I'm seeing (if that).

I'm wondering if it's even possible to use the Lutron upgrade, as I'm guessing it's probably for their earlier Maestro line, and I have the later Caseta, but I've seen some anecdotal things online that they are similar.

I don't even know where to begin. I went through the C3 built-in routine - which walks you through 3 different options to control a Lutron switch - but none of them have any effect.

I also added a device in RMIR using this upgrade. That seems to have the functionality I'm looking for - my Lutron remotes (and the hub, which I also have) are configured to use scenes. I assigned all 14 or 15 scenes to soft keys, but none of them have any effect.

I read through most of the other documents and spreadsheets, and looked at (but did not touch!) "Edit protocol", but as I said, I don't understand it. I see that you can actually adjust the radio frequency, but I'd obviously need some technical documentation and expertise to change that. More to the point, I don't know if the transmitter in the C3 can even operate in the proper RF range.

Also don't know if there is any practical method to capture the signals transmitted by the Lutron (and Insteon) remotes.

Anyhow, any input much appreciated.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No takers? Wink

I'm guessing most folks haven't used this feature. Have I missed something very obvious?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the upgrade that you tried is an IR protocol, whereas you are wanting to control the unit via RF. I don't know anything about how JP1 remotes work RF, sorry.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve already posted everything I know about RF on this remote. I wish I had more info. I do know some European users do quite a bit with RF on this remote. Hopefully one will eventually chime in.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got it - I'll try and dig into it some more and I'll post here if I figure anything out.

(btw, I tried to do a multi-quote of both of you, i.e., two consecutive "quote=user"' - and that doesn't work - the post previews as blank...is there a trick to that?)

Thanks to both of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: