JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

atlas 1056B03
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckeays

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: atlas 1056B03 Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

My elderly parents got talked into upgrading their cable box by the cable company.

I have a media player working on the original cable remote which was an atlas 1056B01.

I had to manually add each code in ir.exe for each button because there are no codes for the chinese media player available. It worked like this for a long time.

Now the new box comes with an atlas 1056B03. I can download from the remote using rmir but it is a lot different than the B01 remote in that there is no learning commands tab.

(I can't seem to find a way to change any of the other button commands with raw data)

I guess my question is:

What can I do with this remote?

Or better,

In what ways is this 1056B03 remote programmable other than manually entering the numbered codes?

Would an upgrade help me in any way? I thought of using the B01 remote, but the cable company picked it up with the old box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. With JP1, both 1056B01 and 1056B03 are programmable by using upgrades, one for each of the devices you need to include.
An upgrade could be made from scratch but I think it is very likely that the upgrade section already includes several upgrades suitable for the chinese media player.

While, as you said, the B03 version does not have learning, JP1 upgrades would thus indeed render it programmable 'other than manually entering the numbered codes'.

However 1056B03, like other JP1 remotes, requires the appropriate JP1 lead.
Please see the Wiki http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
and the remote charts http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart

If you don't want the bother of making up a lead with the required 6 pin connector you might consider getting one of the universal JP1 remotes which use mini or micro usb leads, (which should be included, but any mini/micro usb lead would do) see the 'Cable' column of the first chart.

Making up a lead with a 6-pin-connector can be problematic, and a ready made 6-pin lead may alone cost more than a new JP1-capable remote which uses its own ready made USB lead.
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for your response.
Are you saying the B03 is 100% programmable like the B01?

Yes I already have a cable that I have been using on the 1056B01.

I am a bit confused as to how to change any of the commands.
I really don't want to brick the remote because it will take about a week for the cable company to come and replace it.

I have been investigating on how to create an upgrade but I am lost.

It was easy with the 1056B01 just copying and pasting the data for each key.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really doing things the hard way. Building a device upgrade is much easier. I assume you've read all the tutorials but are still lost. Not much I can add to those as it already goes step by step. If you post the rmir file for your B01 and do a download from your B03 and post that as well. We can transfer the info from one to the other for you.

Post files here by clicking the Upload button at the top:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=35
ckeays

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If you post the rmir file for your B01 and do a download from your B03 and post that as well. We can transfer the info from one to the other for you.

That is very generous of you but I can't ask you to do that. I will attempt to learn how to do it myself.

I will post any questions here if I am stumped.

I should have some time this weekend to have a look at it.

Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post describes how to convert the learns from your B01 into a device upgrade that you can then add to your B03:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=126608#126608

You'll need to use Remote Master instead of IR.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to create an upgrade from scratch just to see if I could do it by following these instructions.

Code:
 Starting a New Upgrade and the Setup Tab

To start creating an upgrade for this device, you should go to the 'Devices' tab and click 'New' to start a new upgrade. Then in the Setup tab, you should make the entries described in the following table.

Desciption: Enter a brief description of the device being programmed. In this case we'll enter "Samsung VCR"
    Remote: Select the remote you are programming (should automatically be correct).

Got this step done.
Code:
Device Type: Select the type that most closely matches the device you are programming. In this case we'll select VCR.

Got this step done. Selected DVD.

Code:
Setup Code: As we already know that this VCR responds to the VCR/0240 code, the standard convention for upgrades is to add 1000 to that, giving us VCR/1240. If there's no official code that works your device (as far as your know), use 2000 or greater for this entry. (The max value is 2047)

Got this step done. I selected 2000 as the setup code.

Code:
Protocol: Select the protocol displayed in IR. In this case we'll select NECx2. If you're unsure which protocol to use, consult the readme file that's in the KM zip file.

got this step done. I selected NEC1.

Code:
Device Number/Sub-Device: Enter the values displayed in the Learned Device tab Device/Sub-Device columns, in this case we'll enter 164 for Device and there is no Sub-Device. The displayed labels for these boxes varies based on the selected protocol.

got this step done. I selected 0, 255.

Here is where I am lost.

Nowhere does it say how to write the rmdu file to the remote.

I also tried to follow the instructions in the above URL on copying the learned commands from the B01 remote but I have no idea on how to copy the commands to the B03 remote since there is no learning tab.

So I edited some of the buttons 1, 2, 3. Then I saved the rmdu file. How do I apply this to the B03 remote?
LOST again.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If you post the rmir file for your B01 and do a download from your B03 and post that as well. We can transfer the info from one to the other for you.

Both files posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14174

If I see how you did it, I might figure it out.

many thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the hard way. I linked the easy way. Here it is a again plus a few extra steps to copy the result to your new remote.

Open your B01 file.
"in RM, go to Options - Advanced - Learn to Upgrade Conversion. On the Learned tab, select all rows (EXCEPT all Sony20 commands) and click Convert. Then on the Devices tab, double click the device to open it in the editor. Go to the Functions tab and rename each function correctly as needed. On the Buttons tab, click Auto Assign. Then click Save As."

Open your B03 file.
Go to Devices, click New, click Open and find the file you just Saved As. Click OK. Select a device button for the new device. Save and Upload to your remote.

If you would tell us what device this is, we probably already have an upgrade. The codes look very common to me.

In any case, here's the completed file. The new device is CBL 2000 on the DVD button. I also changed your other device codes to match the B01.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14175

If you tell us what this device is and what the actual function names are, we can add it to our file section so others can benefit.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If you would tell us what device this is, we probably already have an upgrade. The codes look very common to me.

Those files I uploaded were just a test as I didn't have the required remote files on my laptop at work.

The B01 file is from my SPAT102B HDTV converter box and my RCA Flatscreen TV (which uses the Sony Protocol)

Thank you very much mdavej.
I tired your files, they work perfectly.

I wanted to learn how to do this for other remotes since I can't buy any B01's anymore, just B03's are available now.

I got it to work with a few exceptions.

Every command byte was messed up when I did the transfer. I had to manually change every OBC. I have no idea why this happened. Nevertheless it is working.

I installed the Atlas 1056 B03 Extender v1.00 to try to get the OnDemand button working in DVD mode. (It is assigned to cable only)

I don't know what I am missing but the key is only working in cable mode.

Also, how would I add this button (or any button) in if it does not exist?
Both remotes the B01 and the B03 are identical in terms of button names and layout.

So I don't know why the transfer didn't include the OnDemand button.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender vastly complicates matters and has a steep learning curve. You don't skip from pre-school to writing your PhD thesis. If you continue to use the extender, I can no longer help you. Sorry. You're welcome to continue experimenting and exploring on your own though.

I see that OnDemand is automatically mapped to the wrong button (Macro2) when you open the B01 upgrade from the B03 RMIR file. I don't know why this might happen, perhaps an RDF error, but it is easy to correct. Next time you edit the device, in the Functions tab click new, type a name for the function and enter OBC 77 (as you can see from your original learn). On the Buttons or Layout tab, drag and drop the new function to the OnDemand button, OK, Save, Upload. This is the typical procedure for adding new commands.

If you go back to the unextended version, the one I originally posted, go to the General tab. The Channel punch thru probably controls what device mode OnDemand works in. Change it to the appropriate device (pick DVD from the drop down instead of CBL). If you want OnDemand to do the same thing in all device modes, either make a Keymove for every device mode or make a Macro consisting of one step (OnDemand or Shift-OnDemand depending on the capabilities of the B03).

Something is wrong in your procedure if every command byte was wrong. Perhaps you entered the wrong values in the wrong columns to begin with (i.e., OBC in the EFC column). The auto conversion is more foolproof. I would use that whenever possible.

I just did a quick search on ebay and see that the 1056B01 is still plentiful (I got over 80 results). No need to use B03's if you don't want to.

Since you have a JP1 cable, there are over a hundred models of remotes you can use with our software. IMO, the Atlas styling is a bit long it the tooth. Atlas still has a lot of fans on this board, but I'm not one of them. It's kind of ugly and the buttons are stiff. The OARUSB04G is a beautiful remote as is the Inteset INT-422. If you're willing to stretch your budget all the way up to $16, the Nevo C2 is vastly superior to all of the above in nearly every respect.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The extender vastly complicates matters and has a steep learning curve.

I have three of these remotes. I have tried the extender only on one of them and now I removed it.
I wanted to try it on one of them because I simply cannot get the OnDemand button to work in any other mode other than cable.
I certainly don't want to brick my parents remote. This is the reason I am trying it on my other remotes here.
mdavej wrote:
If you go back to the unextended version, the one I originally posted, go to the General tab. The Channel punch thru probably controls what device mode OnDemand works in. Change it to the appropriate device (pick DVD from the drop down instead of CBL)

I did this, Still doesn't work.
mdavej wrote:
. If you want OnDemand to do the same thing in all device modes, either make a Keymove for every device mode or make a Macro consisting of one step (OnDemand or Shift-OnDemand depending on the capabilities of the B03).

I am lost here. I guess I have to do some more reading.
mdavej wrote:
Something is wrong in your procedure if every command byte was wrong. Perhaps you entered the wrong values
in the wrong columns to begin with (i.e., OBC in the EFC column). The auto conversion is more foolproof.
I would use that whenever possible.

I did not enter the wrong values. I used the auto conversion method EXACTLY as you posted.
I have a strong feeling it was something to do with the extender.
The extender has been removed, and as I said I am using three different remotes (same model B03).
mdavej wrote:
I just did a quick search on ebay and see that the 1056B01 is still plentiful (I got over 80 results).
No need to use B03's if you don't want to.

Trouble is, here in Canada the B03 is plentiful and just about free. The added shipping cost from EBAY
sellers in the USA makes that option not worthwhile, so I would rather get another remote altogether.
Used B01's on ebay are usually $30 - $35 including shipping. I would rather have a new (germ free) one.
mdavej wrote:
IMO, the Atlas styling is a bit long it the tooth.
It's kind of ugly and the buttons are stiff.

I agree. I just thought that since I have the commands for the B01 the B03 would be the same.
I can use anything in my home, but for my elderly parents (in their 80's), this is not a solution.
I want to stick with what they know (B01 is identical to B03).
They are technology challenged (to put it VERY MILDLY)
mdavej wrote:
The OARUSB04G is a beautiful remote as is the Inteset INT-422.
The Nevo C2 is vastly superior to all of the above in nearly every respect.

Very interesting. Are both of these remotes working with remotemaster?
I may consider one of these for myself to fool around with.

So now I still don't have the OnDemand button working for DVD device. (I changed it from cable)

Everything else is working. I wanted to use the OnDemand button for the Guide button on the DVR I am using.
It is easier to access and a larger button on the remote.

I am uploading the file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14178

I have checked this over a dozen times and I cannot see anything wrong. If anyone can help me, that would be great.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
Your comments about the 1056B03 extender are misplaced. This extender is very simple and highly desirable, whether one has a PhD or not. It simply rectifies a couple of missing features in the 1056B03: the extender adds keymove and DSM capability. It bears almost no resemblance to other extenders.

ckeays,
Your recent RMIR file contains a lot of extraneous devices, but I'll assume that you want to make the OnDemand button send a function when in DVD mode. As it happens the OnDemand button is only mapped in Cable Device Mode, so we have to do something to make it work. You either need to make the corresponding upgrade have the Cable Device Type (set in the upper right hand corner of the Device Upgrade Editor), or if you wish to leave the Device Type as DVD, you'll need to install the extender so that RMIR can assign a function to the OnDemand button. It will do that by using a keymove.

I prefer to use the extender, so that I can employ keymoves and DSMs.
ckeays

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Your recent RMIR file contains a lot of extraneous devices

Yes I know. i didn't want to remove anything in the file thinking it might cause problems. (at least until I have a working file)
It is now cleared.

3FG wrote:
You either need to make the corresponding upgrade have the Cable Device Type (set in the upper right hand corner of the Device Upgrade Editor)

I changed it back to Cable, the OnDemand button now works but only in Cable mode.

3FG wrote:

if you wish to leave the Device Type as DVD, you'll need to install the extender so that RMIR can assign a function to the OnDemand button. It will do that by using a keymove.

I tried to do the above but I am lost. I cannot find the information to do this. Anything I have tried hasn't worked.

With my extremely busy schedule, I usually get some time early morning to read a bit and try a few things. Today is the exception because it's Sunday.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I changed it back to Cable, the OnDemand button now works but only in Cable mode.
I wasn't clear enough. With either non-extended or extended remote, setup the rmdu file with the Device Type as Cable.
On the RMIR General Tab, on line #3, the Device Button will be shown as DVD. In the column Type, change the default entry of DVD to Cable. Of course the Setup code should be entered as whatever your DVD upgrade had specified (2000 in your posted RMIR file). You'll probably want to set the Channel PunchThrough to DVD.

I know that after pressing the DVD button, pressing OnDemand will shoot NEC1-rnc 1.255, OBC 77, because I own a B03, and I tested it.

So, what's the principle behind this? Well, the remote has 5 Device Buttons, but these are simply buttons. Underlying that, the remote supports 4 Device Modes, with 4 distinct pages of setup codes, and 4 "button maps". Now, as shipped from the factory, the remote is arranged so that pressing the Cable Button puts the remote into Cable Mode; pressing TV puts it into TV Mode, DVD or VCR puts it into Video mode, and AUD puts it into Audio mode. But we can change the arrangement, and tell the remote that pressing the DVD button should place the remote into Cable mode. And the reason to do that is to make use of the OnDemand button, which is only present in the Cable button map.

I guess the main point here is that Device Buttons can be pointed at any Device Mode, just as e.g. the OnDemand button can be assigned some function other than OnDemand.

About button maps: They are used to save space in the remote; since for example a TV doesn't have a function corresponding to OnDemand, UEI leaves this button out of the data for TV setup codes. However, RMIR can assign a function to the OnDemand button even in TV Mode, by resorting to keymoves, but that's not the subject of this post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: