JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G won't learn my DVR codes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loobster71

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: OARUSB04G won't learn my DVR codes Reply with quote

Hello all

Sorry if this topic is in the wrong forum, mods please move it if needed.

I've had a couple of OneForAll remotes before. My current one has one or two buttons that are failing.

I purchased the OARUSB04G to replace it, since I really only need to control two devices (Toshiba TV and Cable DVR) and liked the idea of the backlit keypad for evening use. The cable DVR is branded as Pace but is the result of a collaboration between my cable provider (Armstrong) and TiVo. The menus are all TiVo and I can use the TiVo smartphone app for remote programming etc so it's a full TiVo device.

The OARUSB04G found my Toshiba TV codes easily. There were an extra few functions I needed the remote to learn from the original TV remote and this worked as expected, and with the standard procedure (using the learn button).

I tried the number corresponding to "Pace" in the leaflet that was in the OARUSB04G packet, to program the "STB" button, but this did not result in any control of the device. Obviously this Armstrong/Pace/TiVo device is not one of the more common devices, so I wasn't surprised that there wasn't a straight forward way to program it.

However, the OARUSB04G is also refusing to learn anything from the Armstrong/Pace/TiVo remote. When I am in learning mode, and press a button on the OARUSB04G in which to store a code, it stays in rapid-blink mode no matter how long I press the corresponding key on the original remote, until the process just times out. I've tried different distances between the remotes, etc, it just will not learn anything from the original remote.

My current OneForAll remote (URC-10820B00) learned everything from the same DVR remote without any issues. But this is the remote that is now failing (and they are no longer available for purchase).

Any clues as to where I go from here?

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivo remote may be in RF mode now and unlearnable. You could switch it to IR mode (you'll have to Google that procedure) and try again. Or you could simply load one of our device upgrades or use one of the common Tivo codes. What model is it exactly?
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

As I stated in the original post, my previous OneForAll remote was able to learn from the Armstrong/TiVo remote, so it must be an IR remote (I can't imagine that a 5 year old OFA remote supported RF).

I have no idea what the "common TiVo codes" are or where to find them. Even if I were to find them, it's likely that not all buttons that I need would be working, or I may want to reassign some. That's why I got a learning remote.

The DVR "about" info says it's a Pace MG1.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/883769/Pace-Tivo-Mg1.html#manual
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed in the manual that it says that the "remote" light on the front of the DVR lights up green for an RF remote and red for an IR remote.

I tried with both the original remote and my URC-10820B00 and the light was green with both remotes. Surely a 5 year old remote that cost me $10 new doesn't support RF?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you if you're willing to work with me. But you'll have to tolerate my questions so I have enough information to find the codes.

I asked for the model number so I could provide the correct codes.

I'm not suggesting your 10820 was ever RF. Since many Tivo remotes work in RF and IR modes, and they can switch automatically without your knowledge, this was the most likely cause of your problem.

Another possibility is that your remote has run out of learning memory. That's why it would be better for you to use one of our device upgrades or built-in code. You can still reassign buttons using built in codes and upgrade files, and they take far less memory.

So here are some codes to try on the STB button. If any even partially work, that's a starting point that we can use and reassign as many commands as you wish or built a new device file.

3337 3265 1068 1577 2401 2620 1060

Failing the above, if you can manage to learn just a single Tivo command from your old failing 10820, then we can probably build a complete Tivo device for you.

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ongoing assistance.

Some points to clarify.

The new remote isn't out of learning memory. I learned just 2 codes into the TV mode on top of the standard Toshiba codeset which works with the TV just fine. I haven't used any other mode on the new remote, and so there's plenty of learning "space" left.

This particular remote doesn't take the 4 digit codes as far as I know. It's an odd one that gives you a list of major brands and asks you to press and hold key 1-9 until your TV (or other device) powers off.

That's why I figured I'd try and learn the codes using the learning button.

Maybe it's programmable using Remote Master?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It DOES take 4 digit codes and it DOES work with Remote Master. The one-key programming is just one of many ways to set it up.

I was only trying to start simple in case you weren't familiar with Remote Master.

To try the posted codes, hold Setup for 2 blinks, press STB then the 4 digit code (2 blinks for success). Try them and report back please.

If you tell me all your devices, I can go ahead and build a custom BIN file for you. With the Toshiba, I can add all the discrete input codes so you don't have to use the menu to change inputs, you can go directly to any input with a single command.

EDIT: I just downloaded all the Tivo codes from the SimpleSet site (30 in all). Save the existing BIN file from your remote by attaching the USB cable, opening the resulting drive in Explorer and copying it to your PC. Then load the BIN file below by drag/drop onto the drive letter for the remote.

You can open the BIN file in Remote Master to view and modify as you wish. Here are the new codes from the BIN file to test first. You can set the codes with the Setup button or in Remote Master on the general tab and re-download. Probably quicker to just do it on the remote.

Since this is a Pace box, one of the most likely candidates is 1377 (DirecTV Tivo).

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14133

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have it sussed. But some odd stuff going on here!

Firstly, none of those codes resulted in any control of the DVR.

But, on a whim, I took a few minutes to see if I could learn commands from the old OFA, into the new OFA. It worked!

But this makes no sense. I learned from the MG1 remote into the old OFA. But the new OFA won't learn from the MG1. But it will learn from the old OFA.

Huh....??

The failing buttons on the old OFA were volume up and down, and since I still have my amplifier original remote, I could re-learn those buttons from that remote.

Thanks for the help, but it seems that everything is working.

I guess I should read up on remote master, to go ahead and take a backup of the stored commands as they are right now.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, the Tivo remote will switch between IR and RF without you knowing depending on range and other factors. It was simply in IR when you learned from it before and is now in RF mode, hence now unlearnable.

To switch to IR, hold Tivo+C, and back to RF, hold Tivo+D.

If you wouldn't mind, please post your BIN file here as I'd like to know what codes are actually being used for that box.

There is no need for all this learning since you can use Remote Master. We'd be glad to help you find the appropriate files.

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

I couldn't find out how to switch between RF and IR, which is probably why I couldn't learn the commands from the MG1 remote. But it must have originally been in IR mode, else the old OFA wouldn't have been able to learn from it.

This is the MG1 remote, if you are interested (the EXP one):

http://armstrongonewire.com/support/television/articles/remote-setup.aspx

I'll keep this thread bookmarked so I know how to force the remote to change back to IR, for future learning needs.
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
If you wouldn't mind, please post your BIN file here as I'd like to know what codes are actually being used for that box.

I'll be glad to upload it.

Please point me to a tutorial on how to do pull it off the new remote?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EXP does have C and D according to the picture, so the IR/RF switch should work.

So here's what to do with the file. Plug in the USB cable, open file explorer. You should see a new drive letter, probably G. Open that folder and you'll find a SETTINGS.BIN file. Drag and drop that file onto your desktop.

Then go here, type a short name and description, click CHOOSE FILE, and browse to your BIN file, then click ADD FILE.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=user_upload&cat_id=35

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry we cross posted there. And I did realize the colored buttons are the ones with A-D on.

If you let me know how to pull the BIN file off, I will do so.
Loobster71

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Those are most definitely standard Tivo codes (Tivo protocol, device 133, subdevice 48, unit 0), so 3337 should have worked. Maybe the setup code entry failed.

In any case, glad you got it working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: