JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Text input via numeric keypad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loft

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Text input via numeric keypad Reply with quote

I am asking here here as the searching terms are rather generic and hard to search for.
What I am looking is to be able to use my OFA remote to write text on my Nvidia Shield TV. I was thinking that it would be cool if I'd be able to use the remote the way old phones were used to write text (multiple presses of the same key to enter any of the 3-4 letters assigned to that key). I am imagining that this could be done via an extender.
I just need someone to confirm me that this could work or not.

Thank you!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Text input via numeric keypad Reply with quote

loft wrote:
I am asking here here as the searching terms are rather generic and hard to search for.
What I am looking is to be able to use my OFA remote to write text on my Nvidia Shield TV. I was thinking that it would be cool if I'd be able to use the remote the way old phones were used to write text (multiple presses of the same key to enter any of the 3-4 letters assigned to that key). I am imagining that this could be done via an extender.
I just need someone to confirm me that this could work or not.

Thank you!

I am typing on a cell phone while bouncing down the interstate. A few years back our common area got a tv with a full alpha numeric keypad on the back of the remote. I was creating a backup for the remote because inthe common areas things often go missing. My approach was to use the extenders multi plex I changed out the values on 0-9 on the different setuo codes. When I went back to the common area the tv had been stolen!! I think my thread on this is in the leyboard forum.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14580&view=next&sid=4e090a46ffefbec649e222e07c438988

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
loft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks like a possible solution...
But it would be slower than multiple key presses.
Thanks!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loft, if this is for your URC-7980 it is very unlikely that there will be an extender for it in the foreseeable future.
loft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is for the 7980 and I'm very sure I'll have to wait a lot! He! He!
Maybe I should have made a better choice and buy something better supported half a year ago...
Anyway... I'll continue looking around...
Thanks, man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: