JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New to this, be gentle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
class5vapor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...i dunno what i'm doing wrong but...i know you guys probably don't like this...but i'm gonna link a video...lemme know if im doing somethingn wrong?

https://youtu.be/fOmFL0BecRA

TIA[/url]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your video is private
class5vapor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, ya sorry about that...shes up now pubic

Smile

TIA
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that when you downloaded the remote's memory, it has a good TV code, I can tell this because when you quickly flashed by the Functions tab it had a mixture of Sony12 and Sony15 codes, with the device codes filled in. You never showed us the Functions tab of the TV/1111 upgrade in the file that you opened, so I can't confirm that that one was good too. Ah, but once you uploaded it and then downloaded it again, you did show the Functions tab, so it is good. Sure, the comment disappeared, but that's expected because the remote doesn't have anywhere to store that sort of info.

Ok, so what's your question?
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya sorry for not being slower, i wasnt sure what would have been most important to view...anyway thanks for using your keen eye...so it sounds like you're saying the upgrade is there...my question is, why are all the functions i desire not available to me? At first, in the vid, i mouse-over the 5 buttons over the directionals and also the 4 colour keys...at that point i've selected from the list of available commands the upgrade adds...ok, so i pick them and it all looks hunky dory but after i flash them up to the remote then pull the remote contents back into rmir...then in the same vid i mouse-over those same buttons - BOOM, its all reverted to not the commands i chose so maybe im missing a step but that is why i was saying it didn't stick. I'll admit, perhaps my terminology is off but I just want to be as descriptive as I can for youz all.

Smile

TIA
Would you happen to know why the reversion?

I can make more vid if needed, tho as I suspect its not your favourite way to troubleshoot

Nonetheless ... As you wish, i shall obey
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the part that I'm not getting: "why are all the functions i desire not available to me" and I think that you're reporting that you don't understand how the remote works, rather than reporting that something isn't working.

When you save RMIR files on your computer, and use RMDU upgrade files, both of these files have a lot more information in them than what is stored in the remote itself. The upgrade file has every single function in it (assuming the creator captured them all) even if some of those functions are not assigned to physical buttons on the remote. For example, DVD players often have lots of functions that some people never use (like Angle, etc) so when you add the upgrade to your remote, you might not assign the Angle function to a real remote button, therefore the upgrade that you actually add to your remote won't include the Angle function. It sounds like your complaint is along the lines of "I didn't add the Angle function to my remote, then after I download from the remote, the Angle function is no longer available to me", does that sound about right? The reason it's not there is because you didn't add it. Furthermore, let's say that you did add the Angle function to the ENTER button (for the sake of argument), while the RMDU file knows that Angle is on the ENTER button, the remote does not, so when you download from the remote it will tell you what the code is that is assigned to ENTER but it won't tell you what the function is, it will assume the function is Enter. Do you see?

So, bottom line, do all your programming using RMDU and RMIR files, but don't keep re-downloading from the remote or you will lose all the additional info that is in those files.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sounds like your complaint is along the lines of "I didn't add the Angle function to my remote, then after I download from the remote, the Angle function is no longer available to me", does that sound about right?

Au contraire mon ami, id say its more or less along these lines Smile
"I DID add the angle function on my remote, then after i dowloaded the remotes contents to rmir to view / confirm changes - the functions i JUST added are not there"

Hope you understand that im in no way angry or upset but frustrated would be the word. Im not a newby to computers, programs, apps, electronics etc...i've modded or hacked or unlocked many different gadgets ive owned...for some reason this little thing i want to do...for arguements sake lets use the angle feature...its trickier than anticipated.

My first experience has my cables internal pin-out all wrong, id say after that pitfall i've come a-ways...the rmir program is for the most part, after reading the right wiki, intuitive. To go back to my, not complaint, but technical issue: should i not be able to review my changes ive made like in the video? I guess i should have shown me a little earlier than when i started recording where i myself choose the buttons in the layout tab, for example: its me who chose the 4 colour buttons to be yellow, blue, red and green- they were abcd straight out of the device upgrade, yet after the flash, they dont work on my tv and if i download from the remote to double-check - they're still there & the exact old labels are now back for those colors: abcd (NOT yellow, blue, red and gree)n.

Perhaps if i could have shown fully what i did from start to finish complete with me pointing my remote and showing that i am pressing settings but my action menu (which it is programmed to bring up) is not engaging...

I will try with my other cable i got in the mail, i doubt this will do anything but i feel like im at an impass now. Im doing as instructed but the functions do not work. I dont think im overthinking this, by all your guys 'n gals reports this should be pretty easy - its not so im lost i will try the other cable when i return home in a day or two.

I do apprpeciate your continued support but i think im mis-communicating as i don't agree with what the perception of my desired outcome ie: angle button scenario...

Hmmmm, i'll report any different findings with the new cable...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You last reply still has me thinking that you're not getting it. It sounds like you're expecting the correct labels to be on each button after you download it from the remote, and as I tried to explain, that is just not the case.

Let's say for your DVD player, the EFC code for Enter is 123 and the code for Angle is 246. When you assign the Angle function to the ENTER button, what you are actually doing is assigning code 246 to the button. If you stick with the RMIR and RMDU files, like I advised, you would see that Angle is programmed to the Enter button. However, if you download from the remote, all you will see is that the Enter button has code 246 assigned to it. There won't be any mention of the Angle function, because after all, how would the remote know that that was the code for Angle, it just stores the code, nothing more, and as it was assigned to the Enter button, the remote will assume that the code is for the Enter function.

Does any of this make sense yet?
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i will just stick with any upgrade that i can flash that will have the action button anywhere in the layout that works its the main button i would like for my tv...i feel like i will have to explore more at this point because you seem so sure that i am missing the point that you actually have ME second-guessing myself. Im human and perhaps i am mistaken. I trust you more than myself as you have way more experience. Im away right now so, i will re-read what you are saying and try some things when i have free time and perhaps i will see that what you say is right in front of me and ive made a small error in my process.

I will be back with my results in a day or two.

Bottom line: you must ne right, its just not clicking for me...
Smile

Sorry to aggravate ya
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No aggravation, we're here to explain.

Bottom line, do all of your programming using RMIR and RMDU files as those hold all of the details. After the first download, there's no need to keep downloading from the remote, apart from for debugging purposes.

If the upgrade that you load doesn't work, that's something worth exploring, but the other stuff that you have been asking really sounds like you are expecting something different from the remote than what it can do.

All the comments, device descriptions, function names, etc, etc are just stored in the RMIR/RMDU files, they're not stored in the remote. The remote just has the raw code data, nothing more.

In your earlier example, you stated that the ENTER button didn't say "Angle" anymore, and I'm trying to explain that there's absolutely no expectation that it would say Angle. But, if the code for Angle is 246, we would expect that code to still be on the button.

I feel we're about 2 or 3 posts away from you saying "wow, the penny just dropped and I get it now".
class5vapor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i might know what im hung-up on...
I need to stick to a rmdu file, flash it and off i go...no looking back or trying to download back to peek...no peeky-peeky. It should just work. Labels should not matter when im scrutinizing (which i shouldnt be...) its the actual code that is important.

Question: can i manipulate a rmdu, tho, once i have it open and should i (in theory) be able to switch buttons around to where id like them to be?

Im wondering if thats reasonable for me to expect that i should be able to do or not...

Ya, thanks for your patience, i think im understanding the gist now...there may be more little things im gonna learn...

Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMDU files define what an upgrade look like, if you open one you do so using RM.

RMIR files define what a remote looks like, if you open one you do so using RMIR.

If you have an RMIR file open and you double click on one of the device upgrades contained within it, it will open an RM panel which is very similar to (but not exactly the same as) a regular RM panel. And yes, you can change the way the buttons are programmed, you can move functions to different buttons, assign unused functions to new buttons, etc.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so now that I'm home and able to actually refresh my memory on what's going on - you are right (i knew you'd be, you've way more experience here than me). It actually does work how I want it to, how I've programmed the buttons. I'm not concerned anymore about peeking back to see anything. Just flash 'n go. So that's the TV, that's all good, and I even programmed a few lame Macros on the 3 buttons.

So, you could say, yes, the penny has dropped. Sometimes I'm rock-headed, sorry you had to deal with that.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions for the beginners forum but it's fun to explore the darn thing a bit and do some forum reading before I ask a question so...ya may see another thread at some point soon as not doubt I'll want to try something new...

=]

TY for your help to date

-Larry
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry, I am glad you got this cleared up.

Lots of newbies think that everything shown in rmir gets stored in the remote. That is just not the case as you now know

As things get confusing please feel free to ask questions. I can tell you from experience that one wrong assumption can really detail your understanding.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: