JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New to this, be gentle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
class5vapor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: New to this, be gentle Reply with quote

Hi there guys 'n gals

I'm new to this, I have an Atlas 1056B03. I have a working JP cable and working RMIR. I'll post screenshots of what I see. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm not looking to do much really except program some buttons on each of the 3 devices I'm trying to operate (TV, Cable, AUD). Full disclosure: this model of remote - my cable company here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - they just love to give these away to me...I dunno how many ... 3 or 4 i brought back to them telling them i don't need these and that I have my own Harmony remote I use ... anyway that Harmony I use has been dropped a few times and this Atlas remote seems to be pretty tough and I actually like it and would like know learn more on how to "tweak" it...the reason I mention my cable company is because the CBL button is pre-programmed to control their PVR box perfectly so that's one of three things I don't even need to touch...anyway I digress...
So, I'm not understanding (see pic 3) why there are so many rows in the "Devices" tab for each of the 3 units I want to control. Maybe at this point, being a newbie, I don't need to know about that....so it's ok if you tell me that...as for pic 2 (macros tab) this seems pretty evident what it is and how I could manipulate it a bit i wanted to, oh I dunno...change Macro 1 to something else, I guess I would just call the device, then semicolons and the button presses...maybe it's not that easy...I'm sure you could tell me...
As for pic 1 (general tab) I guess I kinda understand what those are except rows 6,7 & 8 but again - if it ain't broke don't touch it...

So anyway, I have 2 units to tweak. I've put in remote codes for my Sony TV and Pioneer Receiver that mostly work but my real questions I guess are:

1) Should I start by finding appropriate sets of commands for my model-specific units (I'm sorry I don't know the proper terminology for these things...are they extenders or device upgrades?)

There is an extender for my specific remote in the extenders section of files...4th last one in the "Atlas" list...I downloaded it and followed the instructions in it and flashed it to my remote...seems to have worked tho I don't know what this really does...I did save my original config tho as I'm either brave or stupid for having tried something I don't know too much about...anyway and in the upgrades section, under audio and in the P's for my Pioneer VSX-324 I see a bunch of close-but-not VSX models...any ideas which I should choose or is this even the right way to go about this...
Same for my TV, in the list I see one that is close but not similar...

Does it help if I have the original remotes? They have their own model numbers written on them and perhaps thats a way I can find appropriate command files or upgrades...

Sorry for the ton-of-questions but I just am totally lost and have read a bunch of different posts but I'm not really confident that I get where the starting point is ...

Thanks for any help or mockery =]

Oh ya, my reference pics...

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably should have gotten used to programming the remote using RM and RMIR before you jumped into the extender, which is more advanced.

As for posting pics of what you see, for the most part if you post a copy of your RMIR file in the Diagnosis Area and then post a link to it here, we can load it and see exactly what you see (without needing to squint at low-res pics).

Now for your questions...

1. why there are so many rows in the "Devices" tab

Your remote has 5 device buttons, so the first 5 rows correspond to the physical device buttons. The additional rows are for "phantom" device buttons, that are supported by the remote and can be used in macros, etc but there's no physical device button for them.

2. for pic 2 (macros tab) this seems pretty evident what it is and how I could manipulate it a bit i wanted to, oh I dunno...change Macro 1 to something else, I guess I would just call the device, then semicolons and the button presses

The semicolons, etc are just the way RMIR displays macros in the summary screen, if you select a macro and click EDIT, you will see that the GUI is much better than that.

3. Should I start by finding appropriate sets of commands for my model-specific units

Yes, look for your devices in our file section, they are sorted into folders by type of device, then listed by band and model number. Sometimes there isn't an exact match but often a similar model will work just fine. If you load upgrades you should be able to control every function for your device, not just the ones that UEI decides to include in the built in codes.

4. There is an extender for my specific remote in the extenders section of files...4th last one in the "Atlas" list...I downloaded it and followed the instructions in it and flashed it to my remote...seems to have worked tho I don't know what this really does.

Extenders change the way your remote works, you need to read all of the documentation as each extender is different. Some require you to press a button to activate them, some don't. Most disable the normal programming modes, requiring you to do all the programming via RMIR.

5. Does it help if I have the original remotes?

It would if you had a learning remote, but as you don't, it doesn't matter.

In closing, don't forget to read the wiki.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

3. Should I start by finding appropriate sets of commands for my model-specific units

Yes, look for your devices in our file section, they are sorted into folders by type of device, then listed by band and model number. Sometimes there isn't an exact match but often a similar model will work just fine. If you load upgrades you should be able to control every function for your device, not just the ones that UEI decides to include in the built in codes.

Although the files are organized into alphabetical lists within categories, I find the file search to be much more effective. Not all users follow the suggested naming convention, and some equipment might be in an unexpected category. The FILE SEARCH link at the top of the page, works great.

Also I also recommend using the excel spreadsheet, jp1 master 1.14 to aid in your search for upgrades. This spreadsheet streamlines testing upgrades, since it lists the protocol and fixed data in the upgrade.

Quote:

In closing, don't forget to read the wiki.

Ditto that!!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insigh Vicky & Rob...
I'm sorry about posting pics, I didn't realize how bad they look / bad etiquette...won't do that again. Well I did read some more in the wiki and it helped me (tho a couple of screenshots are a tad outdated but close enough that the average joe can connect the dots...) a lot on where to start with loading in upgrades...Im stuck at this point with an upgrade I d/l'ed for my Pioneer VSX-324 amplifier, best I find is the one for the VSX 521, some of the buttons seem like they'll work but when i copy 'n past both the upgrade and it's protocol into RMIR after making some changes to the layout for buttons i want to be where I want...and after I upload it to my remote...and assign the device button...it uploads fine and gives no errors but when i press the device button - it stays lit for a long time and no other keypresses for any other device or button seem to register...like its stuck or hung...i have to remove the batteries. Does that say anything to anybody just of the top like that? The other thing I noticed too is that the setup code in the upgrade is different from the one i already have programmed in there that does work (but has missing button commands - which is why I was going to do the device upgrade - is that of any help that I know already a working setup code...or is that of no significane if I'm doing an upgrade anyway?)

If there is a specific file you'd like me to upload to a particular section - I'm all for that, if you could just let me know which partifular file...

Thanks guys 'n gals...sorry for the questions but I must say, the wiki helps and I'm learning things already so...I'm not a lost cause...

=]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, we would want to see your RMIR file, and post it in the Diagnosis Area folder, then post a link to it here.

I'm a bit puzzled by your "cut & paste" statement because, unless you found some really old instructions, you don't need to do anything like that anymore. Start with RMIR, go to the Devices tab and click ADD, that will bring up an instance of RM which you can use to open the file that you downloaded.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, would you look at that, I found some old page with old instructions...I must have wandered there via a Google seach ...sorry...yes I'll read the new wiki...be back in a bit with my new results =]

Oops...dunno how I did that...

sorry

=[
***Edit:
yep, with the instructions on this sites ACTUAL wiki (I"m dumb, I dunno where or how I stumled onto the old one I did find...wow...amazing how screwy things can be with slight under / orver calculation) I was able to make it work, awesome...thanks for the help...now I'll try for my TV and that should be that..

Thanks for the direction...

=]

Last edited by class5vapor on Sun May 29, 2016 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, well that seems to have done it..wow...so much easier and straight forward, I think I got all I needs folks...thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to keep reading and learning

=]

***Edit
Question: I'd like to upload my RMIR file...what is the full filename for this file? I'll upload it to the appropriate file section and link it so youz can see it...

Im having a new minor issue...i can't get a tv device upgrade to "stick" in my remote...after i make my button edits...(i see all the buttons from my original remote in there...so that's awesome...) but when I got to upload it...i notice the notes column in the general tab has notes from the upgrade in there yet when I upload to the remote - they disappear and if I then go to the layout and check the buttons, all the ones I need have disappeared...I see some notes in the upgrade about choosing one of 3 sony protocols but I tried all 3 and same issue...

I'll upload my file once I"m sure of which file that is..

TY
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're editing your remote using RMIR, you can always use the File > Save As option like you can with most software, then you can call the file what you want, it could be class5vapor.rmir for all we care. Then, use the File Section link at the top of this page to navigate to the Diagnosis Area, then use the Upload link to add the file. Then click the File Section link again and you will see a link to your file next to the Diagnosis Area link, as it will be the most recently added file. Copy that link and paste it here.

And, of course, tell us what we're looking for.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry I've been away, had a busy week.

Ok so here is my RMIR file...see what you's can see to help me with why the TV settings won't stick when I flash it to the remote.

File: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14088

TY

=]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean exactly when you say the "settings won't stick"? Do you mean the TV upgrade that you added doesn't work? If so, that is probably because you didn't enter any device codes in the upgrade. Did you create this upgrade yourself? If so, where did you get the data from?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the channels and numbers that aren't working on the TV, that's because you have the CBL device selected for channel punch thru on the General tab.
class5vapor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

Ok sorry for the ambiguity there on "the settings won't stick"

I D/L'd a device upgrage from this very forum's file section (for my Sony XBR-49X830C), the closest i found was the one with the filename "SONY KD-49X8309C.rmdu". I can see it n rmir and i went to the layout tab and added & changed some buttons around and tried to flash it to the remote but if i D/L from the remote - it reverts to not having any of the settings i just made nor can i see that the upgrade is in effect.

It's not the channels or numbers thing, tho thanks for the tip on that...i did see the punch-through stuff, might adjust that later on if need be.

I did not create the upgrade myselfso i will check out if i entered a device code in the upgrade or if there was one already something in there...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you've just confused download and upload. Download copies what's in the remote already back up to your computer. Upload copies what's on the computer into the remote. When you have the RMIR file the way you want it, you need to Upload it to the remote, not Download.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

class5vapor,
I own a 1056B03 (extended), so I uploaded your above linked RMIR file to it, and then downloaded from the remote into a separate RMIR session so I could compare. There are differences, but these are expected: The RMIR file contains notes, and these are by design not uploaded into the remote, so you won't see them in a download from the remote. Also, the Sony upgrade (setup code 1111) has 73 defined functions, some of which have names like "Football". Only the 43 functions which were assigned to buttons are uploaded to the remote, and no function name are uploaded. The download from the remote contains the 43 assigned buttons and the default button names from the RDF file.

Or do you mean something else by "not having any of the settings i just made nor can i see that the upgrade is in effect"?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the original upgrade here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13447

The reason that this file doesn't have any Sony20 device codes entered is because all the functions use Sony12 or Sony15, the device codes are encoded into the button codes themselves. However, when you ported this upgrade to your remote, all the functions somehow switched to using Sony20, which would explain why they don't work.

So, I deleted your TV/1111 upgrade from your RMIR file and I re-added it myself, give this a try. UPLOAD it into your remote to test it.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14093
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: