JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo Reciever
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciramjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Onkyo Reciever Reply with quote

I'm a new user just setting up a home theater system. I just purchased a Radio Shack 15-2116 remote which seems to work great with one exception. My receiver is an Onkyo model TX-SR502. The problem is, this receiver has separate buttons for ON and OFF (Standby) rather than the usual power button that toggles ON/OFF. The 2116 remote does not have codes for Onkyo receivers. I realize I can program some other button for the off (standby) function, but I really want a single button to turn all of my equipment on and off at the same time. Is this a show stopper for me? I see that someone has written code for a TX-SR501 receiver, but I don't know how he addressed this issue. (btw - it's not too late for me to change out my receiver - I'm considering Kenwood as an alternative).

Thanks for your help
John
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use ToadTog to simulate a power toggle button.
ciramjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rob, but what is ToadTog?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a JP1 user?
ciramjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a JP1 capable remote and ordered the interface cable. I'm just now trying to learn how to use JP1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find ToadTog here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2852

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, starting off trying to tackle some of the special protocols and extenders is like jumping off in the deep end to learn to swim. My advice is to get everything else working. You can assign your Power Off button to the sleep key at first. If you use an extender, then they usually come with a toad tog rather than the stand alone toad tog.

I have been around this group for a long time and just recently installed a toad tog. In my case it was creating virtual discrete commands. The good news is that it works quite remarkably well. The bad news is that it isn't very well documented and I hate to admit how long it took me to figure it out. Maybe I was metaphorically sleeping in JP1 class, but I didn't find any how to document that covered it.

Discrete power commands, like your Onkyo receiver has, are highly desirable (Kenwood receivers rarely, if ever, have them). Here's why:
Most of us set up our remotes so that if we press the DVD device button then that initiates a macro that turns on the receiver, sets the receiver's AV input to DVD, turns on the TV sets its video input to dvd, and turns on the DVD. We have VPT set to the receiver. Consequently, at the end of that macro, without touching another device button most keys control the DVD and the volume +/- control the receiver.

Now if we switched to the TV and used a similar macro, had we used a power toggle command for the receiver, then it would now turn it off. If all power commands were toggles you can imagine how easily everything could get out of sync. The beauty, of discrete commands is that if you hit DVD button it always sets it to DVD regardless of the previous state of any of the equipment. You can accidentally hit it twice in a row and nothing will happen.
ciramjo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Thanks for the explanation. I can see the advantage of having separate buttons for ON and OFF if all my devices were that way. In your example, if I hit the DVD button after all systems were on, wouldn't it turn the TV and DVD OFF, since they are toggles, and leave my receiver on?

John
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciramjo wrote:
In your example, if I hit the DVD button after all systems were on, wouldn't it turn the TV and DVD OFF, since they are toggles, and leave my receiver on?

ToadTogs basically allow your remote to keep track of the state of
the device, whether it is powered on or not and conditionally perform
actions based on that info. This allows you to simulate discrete on/off
(among other things)

If the unit is already on and you send the "virtual" discrete on, it will
do nothing. If the unit is already off and you send the "virtual" discrete
off, then again it will do nothing. Otherwise it sends power toggle.
ciramjo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Thanks!!
peebee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You can use ToadTog to simulate a power toggle button.

Looks like I might have the same issue with my new Onkyo TX-SR702. It has discrete ON & OFF, but no toggle.

Also, it looks like ToadTog might be the answer. But that thing is even scarier than IR & KM were.

Rob -- or anyone -- please help with the following:

1) Please verify that ToadTog will in fact provide me with power toggle function.
2) Since ToadTog is generally intended for the opposite use, and since I'm a TT newbie, and since those TT directions are so intimidating -- any pointers on setting TT up on my 15-2116?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes
2) I was scared away by the instructions also, so I've never actually used it myself (but it's on my "to do" list).
peebee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally worked up the courage to download Extender2 for my 2116.

It worked like a charm! Not only did it provide virtual Toad functionality for my discrete-only Onkyo, but I was blown away by the BLAZING FAST macros -- what a super and unexpected bonus. My old CLICK. . . . CLICK. . . . CLICK power-on macro now sounds more like a single KITILICK!!!

SWEET!!!

ToadTog wasn't quite as scary as it looked either -- there's a little head scratching involved there, but the basic toggle->discrete or discrete->toggle functionality is pretty easy to set up (worst case, even if the instructions make no sense at all to you, there's only about 4 options to try before you'll hit the right setup codes).

Last but not least -- installing & setting up the extender was WAY easier than the instructions & tutorial made it appear -- matter of fact, with the newer versions of IR, you can quickly and easily convert your existing setup to Ext2 right from IR (under File->Save->Merge With Extender or something like that) once you've downloaded & extracted the Ext2 zip file -- only some minor tweaking of macros & General Tab settings under IR will probably be required. The fast macros alone make Ext2 worth it. The only downside is loss of learning, which I wasn't using anyway.

So, in short (too late?), I love it! I only wish it hadn't taken me so long (~4 years now) to work up the courage to try it!!!
peebee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but pbearn2001 up there is me (no idea what my email or password was 11 years ago), and I'm trying to set up my new OARUSB04G remote with that exact same Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver and same or nearly same Onkyo TX-SR702 upgrade.

Here's what's puzzling me: the receiver has only discrete power codes, no togggles, and the Onkyo upgrade also has only discrete power functions, no toggles... which is why I needed ToadTog back then with my 15-2116. But, the out-of-the-box unextended OARUSB04G remote (with Simpleset setup) includes only toggle control, no discrete codes. How is that possible? Does the OAR include its own ToadTog function out of the box, even with no extender?

I think I have a simple fix for my current need to add toggle - simply load both the Simpleset Onkyo device and the upgrade, and keymove the Simpleset power toggle onto the upgrade power button (I've not yet tested this though).

But how did that Simpleset power toggle get there in the first place? And, is there some more-elegant method of adding that out-of-the-box power toggle control to one single upgrade, with no need for ToadTog nor the keymove?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the memory from your OARUSB04G remote using RMIR and post the .rmir file so we can take a look. My guess is that they found a power toggle code, and if that's true we can give you the code to add to your upgrade for your 15-2116 (if you still use it).

If they use a toadtog of their own, we'll see it in the file.

Btw, let me know if you want to reclaim your old account as I can sort it out for you. Your old email address is pbearn (at) owpp (dot) com
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: