JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Programming a 5040 remote without an actual 5040 machine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
telanoc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Programming a 5040 remote without an actual 5040 machine? Reply with quote

Hiya, all.

I don't have my RTV5040 any more, but I do still have one of the remotes, and I've been using it quite successfully with my MythTV setup in the bedroom.

Everything is working great with one annoyance that I'd like to fix. The TV is connected only to video, with sound being handled by the MythTV box. The volume buttons send my TVs volume up/down codes, and I'd like to change that if possible, since the on-screen position of the TVs volume indicator is over the top of where MythTV is trying to show its own volume indication. The actual volume control is working, but I'm just being anal retentive about the display. Smile

So the question is: Does the way to program these remotes require putting files onto an actual Replay box and have it update the remote during its nightly duties, or can the 6-pin connector be used for that? I'm familiar with JP1 (I program my old Radio Shack living room remote that way), but from what I've been reading I've come to believe that what's in the remote isn't a JP1 connector.... right?

Thanks for any insight! I appologize in advance for whatever I left out. Berate me for it at your leisure. Smile
telanoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. never mind. Apparently, while I did read quite a lot before asking, I didn't quite read enough. I just found the post on the AVS forum from The Robman saying it =is= a regular old JP1 connector. Reading all these posts about converting files and putting them on a Replay made me think it wasn't.

Sorry to waste your time. :/
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, bottom line, you just want to re-program the volume buttons to send the Myth volume controls rather than the TV volume controls, right?

The native programming abilities of this remote are very limited, so I think the only way you can do that is to install the extender for this remote (which is just a file, it's not a hardware mod). The extender will actually make this a 12 device universal remote, so if you have some other devices you would also like to control...
telanoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. I can teach MythTV to recognize whatever they wind up becoming, so it doesn't really matter what the volume buttons morph to. They just need to be something different. I'll look at the extender.

The current quest is to find the LPT ribbon cable that belongs with my motherboard. I moved the board to a new case several years ago and didn't hook that cable up... and I've moved since then so it's still in a box somewhere. ::sigh::

It'd probably be easier to just make a serial cable using one of the MAX3232 breakout boards I got from SparkFun.
telanoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telanoc wrote:
I'll look at the extender.

... and after looking at it, it seems to be for the other kind of Replay remote. I have the silver one that just has a pair of power buttons, one for the TV and one for the Replay. I believe that one has the volume and mute buttons "hard wired" to the TV function, if I'm remembering what I read earlier.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the 5040 remote is the ONLY one that has an extender, so we're talking about the same remote.

However, now that you've explained how it works, I have an even simpler solution. All you have to do is program the TV button with a setup code for a different TV, then program MythTV to respond to that signal instead.
telanoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
As far as I know, the 5040 remote is the ONLY one that has an extender, so we're talking about the same remote.

Okay. The one I was looking at (r5kex1_2) was talking about all kinds of device selector buttons that I don't have, like Replay, CBL, TV, VCR and DVD. The only "TV" key I have is the power button, which is right next to the Replay power button.

Quote:

However, now that you've explained how it works, I have an even simpler solution. All you have to do is program the TV button with a setup code for a different TV, then program MythTV to respond to that signal instead.

But then I'd lose the ability to turn the TV on and off, wouldn't I?

The TV is an older Samsung plasma (code 0019 or 0030, I forget which one exactly). I wonder if I can't just redefine the volume buttons to send different Samsung TV commands that my particular TV isn't going to do anything with.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, you still want POWER, I get it. Yes, you could create a new TV code with the right code on the POWER button and the wrong codes on the volume buttons, and then program Myth to respond to those wrong codes.

Regarding the extender, like I said, it converts the remote into a 12 device universal remote, so that's why you see CBL, VCR, etc in the rdf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: