JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer Receiver Upgrade Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Pioneer Receiver Upgrade Issue Reply with quote

I'm working with Atlas 1056B remotes which don't have learning capability. That's been no problem with my other equipment, since I've built upgrades using learned codes from another remote. That doesn't seem to work so well with Pioneer, however. (I have seen comments that JP1 programming for Pioneer equipment can be especially challenging.)

When I examine details of the learned signals from my other remote, RMIR provides the protocol, device code, subdevice code (if any), OBC, and EFC values. I can't duplicate these in RMIR. Using the appropriate device code (the Pioneer uses more than one), if I enter the OBC an EFC value is automatically generated that differs from the learned value. If I enter the EFC value, an OBC value is generated that differs from the learned value. It doesn't matter which way I enter the learned values, the functions I'm trying to duplicate do not work.

I've been able to deal with this issue to the extent that I can perform all the functions I must have. However, there are other functions I would like to add and can't (and besides, now it's a matter of principle!).

Anyone have ideas as to how I can resolve this issue?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Jim. Don't worry about the EFC. The OBC is the important value. An EFC will often be different than the value from a decode. That EFC is executor dependent. If you use anything other than the simplest form of the executor for a given protocol, the EFC will most likely be different.

On a side note, did you know that most Atlases have learning memory, and that you can copy a learn and paste it your Atlas's learning memory, and that the Atlas can send your learns. That is of course if you haven't installed an Extender. Using a JP1 extender certainly out weighs the loss of the ability to send a learn, since as you know, it is usually fairly easy to create an upgrade and an extender really can make a remote intuitive to operate.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Jim978

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

Thanks for your help. The problem (one of my own making) was that I had the saved upgrade rmdu data and the saved rmir upgrade data out of synch. I was entering the data carrectly, but I wasn't getting the data into the files where it needed to go. Everything is working well now, thanks to you.

I am working with both the JP1.3 and JP2 versions of the Atlas 1056B remote. Lots of 6 Time Warner branded JP1.3 remotes can be purchased right now on ebay for $12.99 plus $12.99 shipping. A few days ago the asking price was $10 for 6 remotes. The seller is open to offers, so it may be possible to get these for less than $12.99. I bought a lot of six for myself (I paid $11 plus shipping), and was very pleased with my purchase. My trusty old URC-8820s have keys that are beginning to fail. That remote is no longer available and more recent OFA remotes don't seem to have the 6 pin connector, so I've stocked up to protect myself from the possible disappearance of all JP1 remotes (and at about $4 each for a pretty decent remote, it's cheap insurance).

I am using the extender with the JP2 version, but not with the JP1.3. I've been able to duplicate everything I do with the 8820 on the JP1.3 without the extender. Of course, JP1 programming without an extender is a bit like a "gateway drug," so one of these days I may find myself moving on to the "hard stuff."

Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you resolve the Pioneer issue? Pioneer only really gets tricky when they combine different sub-device codes and/or use 2-part signals where the device/sub-device or OBC is different on each part. With some of these it might take an expert to look at your learns to tell you which executor is the best fit.
Jim978

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my issue was resolved. The issue was a result of my confusion. I had started by downloading a pioneer rmfu file, then supplementing that with learned signals. It turns out that the downloaded rmfu file had codes that were different from those my set uses. Then I began changing the function codes that were not the right ones for my tv, but in the process I made some of those changes in the rmfu file, but not in the device upgrade section of the rmir file for my remote (and vice versa). After that I was either making the wrong change, or the right change in the wrong file.

Based on Vicky's response, I figured it was time to go back and kind of start all over ... which I did and everything is now working as it should.

Thanks for your interest and concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: