JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does 1056B03 Altas support keymoves?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimkarl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Does 1056B03 Altas support keymoves? Reply with quote

I need a large lot of remotes to be programmed for different devices. Not concerned about their ease of use at all. I just need a very cheap remote to include with a device I am giving away, but it needs to be able to be programmed - specifically for "EFC style keymoves".

The link to the ebay ad is below (also ebay item # is 321900647425).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321900647425

I need a lot of these so don't want to buy one that isn't going to work for my purpose.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you're going to load an upgrade for your device to these remotes, in which case, why do you care if it supports keymoves?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This started in another forum. The user has no JP1 cable and intends to enter the EFCs manually. I wasn't sure if the latest Atlases still supported keymoves via 994, so I advised him to ask here.
jimkarl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdavej gave me a link for the cable and I will order one, but the remotes would arrive long before the slow boat does so it would be good if I could use the manual method to get started. Also in the event the cable doesn't work for some reason, breaks down the road or misplaced, can't get the drivers going on my computer etc etc. Would like a fallback plan to manual entry if possible. Thanks!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1056B03 does not support keymoves as shipped. However, mathdon has written a mini-extender which provides keymove and device specific macro capability. Of course, one needs a cable to install the extender.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3FG. That's what I was afraid of. So Jim, those remotes won't work for your purposes unless you get a JP1 cable, as 3FG said.

Post your next choice here and we'll try to confirm if it will work.

Here's a nice backlit one that would work, but it's $10 and could use some cleaning:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182055008622

The Comcast ones I suggested in your original thread are generally much cheaper and will work fine so long as you only need it for a couple of devices.

There are also some nice JP1 remotes in our MarketPlace forum that someone has been trying to give away for free:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16766
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programming dozens of remotes by hand is crazy, you definitely need to get a JP1 cable to do this. So, if you do plan on ordering one, go ahead and buy the 1056B03 remotes and program them when the cable arrives.

You could also get a 6-hole connector from Dave...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952
jimkarl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free ones look like it was posted in 2014, and he confirmed long gone.

Also sent you one dave for the connector with paypal info (on the other forum - could get to you easily on this one for some reason)

The JP1 cable is on order. And I ordered just one of those optimus units as a test platform. If I can get it working then I'll by them in bulk.

Dave if you recall i ordered the comcast one you said but buyer cancelled the order. Also, looking back at the pictures in that ad now http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DEVICE-UNIVERSAL-COMCAST-REMOTE-CONTROL-/291704614073?rmvSB=true in the battery compartment I don't see any numbers that match your list of viable jp1 remotes models, so although it clearly has the 6 pin connector. I'm curious/stumped how you knew (or I would know when looking at other future comcast remote ads that might not show the connector visibly in the picture), that it would work with jp1 remote programming and/or 994 direct commands? Is there a model number on the unit that matches your JP1 list that I'm just not seeing?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know from experience that Comcast remotes that look like the one linked are all ok, so far. The model numbers on the label can be all over the place, so we can't rely on that. I wish I could give you a better answer, but I can't.

3FG, have you heard of any red ok or grey ok comcast remotes that can't do keymoves?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Comcast red or grey OK button remotes do keymoves. However, the grey button ones have a small bug that affects about 1/64th of the potential keymoves, so I recommend to not get those.

The remotes labeled Xfinity--at least the several that I've seen--rather than Comcast are the newer design, with many more built-in executors and setup codes. The range of executors is similar to the 1056B03.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still considering programming remotes using keymoves, you need to confirm that the remotes have a compatible setup code in them. Keymoves are just a way of programming additional buttons to an existing setup code.

Can you post some information about the device that you want to use these remotes for? Have you already determined what protocol and device codes it uses?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's using codes I posted elsewhere for a Magnavox DVD recorder, setup code 0675. Hasn't mentioned any other devices yet.
jimkarl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG/Robman

In most every case, this is to support vintage equipment from the 80's 90's, early 2000's Various brand stereo receivers, CD players, and DVD players. Nothing currently sold on the shelf. All legacy name brand models (e.g JVC, Sony, Kenwood, Toshiba, etc etc,.), usually a decade old or older. I only need one device programmed for each remote and won't be heartbroken if I come across a device that has no codes available for it (One I was looking for was a Skyworth Karaoke DVD/CD Player DVD-510p which I've already been told a match doesn't exist)

This all started with a thread about a Magnavox VCR/DVD recorder combo Model ZV450MW8, in which Dave had posted a response to (many years ago) with all the EFC codes needed to manually program a remote up using 994 command but I wasn't clear which remotes supported that (this was all prior to a discussion about using a programming cable BTW)

That brought up my topic of which remote(s) I could use which Dave responded with a fairly large and very helpful list of compatible JP1 remotes. I don't know how dated that list was actually though but it would seem several of the more recent comcast (or Xfinity probably) didn't seem to be on that list, or at least I have not been able to identify they are JP1 compatible from the models information that is apparent on any labeling.

My goal was to identify one specific remote that was both available in volume for cheap on ebay (the optimus one was, link provided at the beginning of this thread, and would run me $4 each in volume and are brand new) and work be JP1 compatible (It does have have the JP1 connector) though as mentioned in this thread it may need a "patch" loaded onto the the box first to support other programming methods. This is more preferable then a series of random one-of remotes that I would have to constantly check on and have difficulty matching exactly to a known list, which the comcast/xfinity ones are seeming to be. Most ebay ads don't specify if they are JP1 compatible, don't show pics of the battery compartment to show if there is a connector present, and in many cases don't have a model number listed or shown. Even if listed or shown, they don't seem to match the list provided by Dave. Plus I can't get them new in any decent volume for the same price anyway. So unless I can't get the optimus to work at all (either manually using 944 or via JP1 connector), then that is the unit I plan to move forward with at this time, though that will be determined after my first one arrives, along with the jp1 cable and I can try all this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it sounds like you sell a lot of older equipment and typically you don't have the original remote to go with it, which would greatly reduce the price that you can sell it for. So, for you, JP1 is perfect. I totally agree with your idea of getting one remote in bulk quantity, that way you can totally get used to it and how to program it.

Your end users won't care about keymoves, so I would not worry about that.

If these are older devices, we probably already have files for them in our file section, but if you come across one that we don't have, we can help you with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: