JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

9910 with extender - Buttons slow only on certain devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: 9910 with extender - Buttons slow only on certain devices Reply with quote

I have an extender on my 9910. The extender is activated and working fine for the most part. However, there is a noticeable delay when using the keys but only when using certain devices. The red light indicator at the top of the remote is mainly what I'm using the judge the speed.

When I have TV or CABLE selected, the arrow keys move rapidly. However, when I'm using CD/AUX/SAT (which are all mapped for the same device) or DVD, the arrow keys have about a half second delay. The arrow keys are what I primarily use, but the delay is with every button on this device. When using TV or CABLE and I press rapidly, judging by how fast the red light blinks, I can get about two key presses off in the same amount of time it takes to get off one in the CD/AUX/SAT or DVD setting.

The only thing I have noticed is that the RDMU files have an "Upgrade Protocol Code" for the CD/AUX/SAT & DVD devices. This is not present for the TV or CABLE devices. It appears if any of my devices have that, there is a delay with the button presses. However, I'm not sure how to get rid of that (or how to create a new working RDMU for these devices) without breaking the file.

I have a second, identical remote without the extender and, while there is still a delay compared to TV, it is slightly less (but just slightly). So it appears the device itself has a delay and key presses and the extender is adding an additional delay.

I've uploaded my IR file for my remote here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13996

This is the basis RDMU file I'm using that's giving me the delay:
(Moderator deleted this file. New version link in later post)

Is there anything that I can do, or is this expected behavior? Thanks for any help you can give!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This RMDU should work better:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10469

The one you have is very old and was made before we really figured out that protocol. That is assuming you have an Ortek/Adesso dongle like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY
sobador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried it both with the extender and without, but the delay is still the same as the old RDMU. That does appear to be the exact remote I have tho, so I'll keep that RDMU since it is newer.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the original remote perform the same? If so, that's just the way it is, in which case you should buy a different dongle, like a true MCE (RC6) one instead of Ortek.

I used an Ortek dongle for years and never noticed any unusual slowness, but I probably never pushed it as hard as you do. Realize that ch+/- should move a page at a time so you don't have to arrow so much.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have a second, identical remote without the extender and, while there is still a delay compared to TV, it is slightly less (but just slightly). So it appears the device itself has a delay and key presses and the extender is adding an additional delay.

I based one of my extenders on this one for the more versatile device selection. It was a different processor, but the device selection was noticeably slower the farther down the list you went. In fact on the JP1.2 remotes I had to add a delay, because sometimes the division for the device lookup wasn't completed before I sent the key, based on the remainder of that division.

Then another miniscule factor is the device and protocol lookup. The device is second to the last, and the XMBC protocol is the last, as it walks through the E2 area looking for the upgrade and its respective protocol.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
sobador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original remote performs great - it's very fast without even the slightest delay. I honestly always thought is was the dongle until I put batteries in the original remote last nite and tried it.

I created a fresh ir file with only the newer RDMU from above (no additional devices added). Unfortunately, it has the same delay as well.

I also tried removing the extender and then learning the functions for the MCE remote. It performed much faster, but without the extender I lose a bunch of other features I've gotten used to. Smile

I'm starting to think this remote just can't handle the MCE protocol as well as others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, that's the Ortek protocol, not MCE. As I said, an actual MCE protocol and dongle may work better. Whoever made the first upgrade you used should not have used MCE in the description.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh reread the first post, it's not the onset delay that is the problem, but rather the repeating characteristics. That is usually caused by a the trailing timeout being incorrect or some other tweak the protocol might need.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobador wrote:
I also tried removing the extender and then learning the functions for the MCE remote. It performed much faster, but without the extender I lose a bunch of other features I've gotten used to. Smile

Could you post that version of your IR file please, as that might help folks tweak the protocol executor.
sobador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Could you post that version of your IR file please, as that might help folks tweak the protocol executor.

Unfortunately, I don't have a JP1 cable to pull the learned functions from the remote. I'm still upgrading using wavs. Smile

Thanks for all your help with this. Even knowing this is an Ortek protocol should help me down the line.

I stumbled across this post, http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16015, that discussed changing the protocols.ini file to adjust the lead-out time. I was able to change it down to 1920 uSec (although I'm not sure where I pulled that number) down from 89,000. There is still a delay compared to the original remote, but with that change, the remote is noticeably faster. I'm not sure if there are any other settings to adjust or if this will cause other problems, but it does seem to be working a bit better now. I may also try moving the device protocol up to see if that makes a difference as well.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sobador wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have a JP1 cable to pull the learned functions from the remote. I'm still upgrading using wavs. Smile

Wow, I have never heard of someone loading an extender using WAV files before. If you think it's time to get a cable, here's how you could get one for $19
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17185

sobador wrote:
I stumbled across this post, http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16015, that discussed changing the protocols.ini file to adjust the lead-out time. I was able to change it down to 1920 uSec (although I'm not sure where I pulled that number) down from 89,000. There is still a delay compared to the original remote, but with that change, the remote is noticeably faster. I'm not sure if there are any other settings to adjust or if this will cause other problems, but it does seem to be working a bit better now. I may also try moving the device protocol up to see if that makes a difference as well.

That post only tells you how to go from 89 mSec down to 49 mSecs, so how did you figure out how to do 1920 uSecs?
sobador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the Ortek RDMU file in Remote Master and went to "Advanced, "Edit Protocol." I went to the "PD Details" tab and found the value 89000 in the PD0A/PD0B LEAD-OUT area. I changed that to 49000 first like the post, but didn't notice that much of a difference. I'm not sure how I decided on 1920, but I assume it's because the next value, "ON time for lead-in burst pair" was set to 1920. I just wanted to see how low I could go without screwing anything else up. That gave me the hex code 03 C0 which I added into the protocol.ini file per the post.

It's still not as fast as the original remote, so it's possible there could still be more optimization. But I think it's just as fast as the TV and CABLE devices now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: