JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help to un-brick an Atlas 1056B01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Need help to un-brick an Atlas 1056B01 Reply with quote

split from:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17124

I don't need to use an extender (I still have move/macro space of 386 remaining after setting everything up), but I decided to experiment with one any way. It was a valuable learning experience (translation ... I bricked the remote). Since there seems to be no way to reinstall the firmware on the remote, I think I will keep it around in case I need to cannibalize it for parts (if I can figure out how to disassemble the thing, that is).

RMIR recognizes the remote, and I can download from and upload to the remote ... no error is generated. When uploading, the remote blinks twice to signal that the upload was successful. None of the remote keys work, however. None of the keys light up when pressed, not even the setup key, so I can't enter any 9xx codes. There is no master.err file in the folder that contains the RMIR executable file. I did blast upper memory to see if that might help, since it seemed I had nothing to lose (or at worst, a bit less than $4 and I still have the two good AA batteries that came with the remote).

Is there anything of information I can provide?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim978 wrote:
I did blast upper memory to see if that might help, since it seemed I had nothing to lose (or at worst, a bit less than $4 and I still have the two good AA batteries that came with the remote).

Is there anything of information I can provide?

That is something you should never do with an extender!!!!!
My guess is that you got yourself into a reset error and blew away the extender.

Extenders are a must have

Did you activate the extender? Which extender did you try?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, did you activate the extender before determining that none of the buttons work? If you don't activate an extender, that's expected behavior.

If you did not activate, try re-loading the extender file that you originally loaded, then activate it (read the readme for activation instructions) and try again.
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

I really can't remember if I was able to activate and/or deactivate the extender. I doubled checked and I did use the correct extender. I was asked to identify the remote (I have the Atlas 1056B01/black), I found it on the drop down menu and selected it.

As suggested, I reinstalled the extender and uploaded to the remote. (By the way, this is the same remote which had given me a downloading error earlier.) It appears that the extender uploads correctly (no error message and two blinks from the remote). However, when I press TV then OK, I get just two blinks ... not four. In fact, I get two blinks with just about every key I press.

Just in case the extender was activated, I did a long key press on the setup key. Once again I get two blinks, not the five that would signal deactivation.

After this, I once again uploaded the rmir file I created for the second remote I have been working with. This remote is fully programmed and performs all the functions of the 8820 it will replace. When this rmir file is uploaded to the "operationally challenged" remote it's the same story as before ... two blinks but none of the keys light when pressed.

I'm thinking this is pretty much the end of the story ... but I'm stubborn (it takes a stubborn person to spend this much time trying to rescue a less than $4 remote) and more than willing to keep trying if you have the time, patience and energy).

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for fun, could you try changing the batteries in the problem remote with fresh batteries and see if it makes a difference
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the batteries, but the result is the same.

By the way, the ebay seller has reduced the price for these remotes. You can now get a lot of 6 for $10 plus $12.99 for shipping. Order 2 lots and the shipping is an additional $7. That works out to $40 for a dozen pretty decent JP1 programmable remotes. It's a while still until Christmas, but ...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this is the listing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180811126609
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the listing.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unlikely that you bricked the remote.

The JP1.3 remotes (of which the Atlas you have is one) have a bunch of settings between the end of the setup codes and the beginning of the key move area that can make the remote do different things. If those setup bytes are not right the remote will sometimes stop working.

The best thing to do with a JP1.3 remote when you get it is to download a "virgin" RMIR file and keep it safe somewhere. That way if you do something bad you can always upload it and move on.

So for you depending on which state the remote is in you should either:

1: if the extender is activated you will need to get your hands on a virgin RMIR file (if you need one PM me, I have them all for the JP1.3 remotes) and then install the same version of the extender into it. That will put the right bytes in place and the extender is still active so the remote will start to behave again.

2: if the extender was not activated you will just need to upload the virgin RMIR file to set the right data into the remote and you'll be good to go.

"activated" means that you uploaded the extender to the remote and then pressed the TV/OK button and saw the 4 blinks that tell you that the extender is active.

If that doesn't work I can probably tell you how to fix the remote, but it's a bit more involved.
Jim978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie,

No problem getting a virgin (stock) rmir file. I have six of these remotes ... one that has been giving me problems that seem to have gotten worse, one that is set up for my equipment and functioning perfectly, and four that I'm holding in reserve. I had already saved a copy of the stock file, but just to be safe I pulled one of the reserve remotes off the shelf and recopied the stock rmir file.

I uploaded the stock rmir file to the problem remote. Once the upload was completed, I tried to power on my receiver (which happens to have the same device code as the stock remote). The receiver didn't power on.

Still working with the stock rmir file, I installed the extender and uploaded it. Once again, the upload appeared to work normally. Next I tried to activate the extender, but got just two blinks and not four. Next, I tried to uninstall the extender using a long press of the setup button. This also generated two blinks and not five.

I think fixing this will have to get more involved. This may be work too much work to salvage an under $4 remote when I have several more remotes in reserve. But hey, this time it's personal!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help:
(1) in this post is a link to base 1056 file ,and reminds about resets and CBL lock
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=121059#121059
and
(2) in this post is a link to 1056B01 v3.03 extended which worked ok for another user
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=121054#121054
Jim978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick word of thanks to all who responded to my plea for help. I especially want to thank unclemiltie, who took the time to review a data dump from my remote, then got me pointed in the right direction.

The problem was with the deactivate function ... or lack of same. The ReadMe that comes with the extender talked about toggling a long press of setup between deactivate and allowing users to set the clock. When I loaded the extender, there was no clock in the setting panel. Instead, the setting panel shows a long press of setup turning backlighting on and off so I had never executed the toggle. Once I figured out what I had done (or, in this case, not done) wrong, I gave myself a dope slap, toggled from backlighting to deactivate, and quickly brought the remote back to life (WHEW!).

As I had stated, loading the extender was a valuable learning experience. I just wish I wasn't such a slow learner.

Thanks again to everyone who took to time to come to my assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: