JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spurious extra keys with JP1 remote and Comcast X1 box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimMann

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Spurious extra keys with JP1 remote and Comcast X1 box Reply with quote

I'm not a beginner with JP1, but this question goes to a deeper level than what I have a grasp on.

I'm using an older Comcast Xfinity branded JP1.3 compliant remote, model URC-1067Bx3 (or similar) to control a Comcast Xfinity X1 box, Arris model MX011ANM.

I'm having an odd problem where fairly often the X1 detects an extra keystroke in addition to (or perhaps sometimes instead of) the key I actually pressed. Generally the extra keystroke is a digit, typically 2, 3, or 5. For instance, sometimes when I press the OK button to confirm that I want to record something, the X1 thinks I pressed 2 OK and jumps to channel 2 instead. (Actually it helpfully tells me "switching to HD based on your preferences" and goes to channel 702 instead. But that still wasn't what I was trying to do!) As another example, when I am hitting the fast-forward key, the box sometimes thinks I also pressed a 2 or a 3. Fortunately in that case I can hit left arrow to backspace and remove the spurious digit. I have also occasionally seen the box recognize rewind when I actually pressed fast forward.

I don't use the native remote much, but I have the impression it doesn't have this problem, or has it much less. I'll use it some more to try to get more data on that.

Does this seem like this could be a problem with the XRM protocol implementation in this remote? Are there some tweaks or alternatives that would be worth trying? I have uploaded my .rmir file so experts can see what I am using now. Let me know if there is any more info you need.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13969

[For completeness, I'll mention another issue I suspect may not be a remote issue at all: when at the "are you sure you want to delete?" prompt, the box seems to have trouble recognizing the OK button. Sometimes it powers off instead. When I power it back on there is a delay and I get the message "connecting to live TV..." which I don't recall normally seeing after I've intentionally powered the box off and back on. So possibly the box is actually crashing at that point. On the other hand, I have a small amount of evidence that using the X1's native remote doesn't have this problem. I will have to use the native remote some more to be sure.]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XMP protocol is a particularly nasty protocol for sure, but as a guess, I would think that the problem is in your cable box rather than your remote. Of course, if you were to use the OEM remote more often to determine if it has the same problem, that would be more definitive.
TimMann

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll stick with the native remote for a while and see what happens. It's usable as long as I only want to watch cable...
TimMann

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using only the bundled remote for two weeks, and I didn't have any of the above problems. Then just now I tried the JP1 remote again and immediately reproduced the issue of hitting OK and getting a bogus digit recognized before the OK.

However, I just realized the bundled remote is RF! So possibly the X1 box has bugs in its support for UV remotes and nothing can be tweaked in the remote to help. Or even if something could be tweaked, we don't have an example of a UV remote that works well to compare with.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me as well. Although I will say that the IR processing in the box itself is horrid.

There are plenty of times when the damned thing won't accept any IR commands and then a few minutes later it'll accept all of them that were buffered up.

A crappy design on many fronts, this is one of them.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spurious extra keys with JP1 remote and Comcast X1 box Reply with quote

TimMann wrote:

I'm having an odd problem where fairly often the X1 detects an extra keystroke in addition to (or perhaps sometimes instead of) the key I actually pressed. Generally the extra keystroke is a digit, typically 2, 3, or 5. For instance, sometimes when I press the OK button to confirm that I want to record something, the X1 thinks I pressed 2 OK and jumps to channel 2 instead.

Although the keys you are getting seem a little off to what I was expecting, let me give you a glimpse into what I'm seeing with my recent comcast remote.

They recently made a change to my old box where
2=up
5=ok
8=down
4=left
6=right

Soon after that my box died and I went and got a new box with a new remote that has separate up ,down, left, right and ok buttons but those buttons send 2,5,8, 4 and 6 too!

So my recomendation would be that building an upgrade using the
XMP (slingbox non-repeating) protocol
and see if that gets you out of those strange situations where the box gets out of the mode that processes the buttons as you want and tries to interpret the as keys that are valid in the current situation.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are talking about the DTA's. They recently upgraded them to support a program guide. Because many came with a very basic remote, they had to use the number keys for navigation.

What remote did your 'new' box come with? Is it one of the XR series?
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-get-to-know-the-xr2-and-xr5-remote/

The XR2v3 (came with a new full cable box, which I tested with my DTA) works fine with the DTA, and the arrow keys do not send numbers.

I should mention I use RCA RCRP05B's for both the living room (full cable box), and bedroom (DTA). The full box is still set up to use the Motorola code set (it's a DCX3400, which support both Motorola and XMP), and the bedroom uses the XMP set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: