JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

toshiba ct-90047: can you add any new device codes??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottchambers_98

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: toshiba ct-90047: can you add any new device codes?? Reply with quote

I was wondering if you can add any new device codes to this remote. i have installed a jp1 port to the remote and get a valid dump. Looks like the eeproom is 128k. When using IR.exe, i noticed that there was no area to add new device codes. I needed to add one for my philips dsx5353 dtv receiver. If anyone as any info on how i could complete this, plese let me know

thanks
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's 128Bytes. That's roughly half the keymove area most 2KByte remotes have. Part got ate up with the signature, checksums, etc, so you really only have less to work with, and it's all dedicated to keymoves, and *maybe* macros.

There is an rdf for a 2K eeprom, so I'd guess you could swap out that little bitty eeprom for a 2K and maybe you'd get more keymove/macro space, and some upgrade space. About 1K of that 2K would be wasted since it's a non-learner, but for a couple bucks and a little soldering time and effort you'd be able to add upgrades and have more available space for keymoves and macros as well.

Jim
scottchambers_98

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has there been anyone successful in upgrading the eeprom to 2k? if so. how easy (if possible) to make any upgrades?

Couldn't you remove one of the current device codes for one that is not present (like the phillips i need) with the current space. Is there anyway to clear up some space for the upgrade i need ( like making it the only device code for sat/cable)

removing that eeprom sound like a big task
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The built in setup codes are in ROM. There is no way to remove them nor to add or change anything in the ROM.

I don't know whether a larger capacity eeprom would enable upgrades, but I know nothing else would. (If Jim is right about a 2K rdf with the same signature AND that rdf lists an upgrade area then it is likely someone already has determined that a larger eeprom will enable upgrades).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who posted the two Toshiba rdf's. I don't know if it was the same person with a 128b eeprom and that same person swapped it for a 2K, or whether these remotes come in 2 configurations. Someone posted recently that all remotes with small eeproms (ie 512b) will support 2K's. their statement didn't exclude 128b's. Both rdf's are in RM and the last few issues of IR, so it's not exactly a treasure hunt to examine both. Both list an offset of "19", the signatures are the same, but of course some of the other data in the General section and below is a little different, ie fixeddata, etc.

Scott obviously has IR. He could check IR File>remote>new and select the 2K rdf and see how the memory is allocated. Assuming an eeprom swap will work, it's not exactly a daunting task. Some people have swapped 2K 8810's with 8K's, others have added eeproms to eeprom-less remotes like the 6131, 60ll, 6012, etc. I'd guess it's a bit more difficult to remove one than add one, but not exactly skill level akin to brain surgery is required.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, isn't that a kick in the pants. I checked IR with BOTH Toshiba rdf's loaded. NEITHER has a keymove/macro area. Fact is, according to IR, about the only thing you can do with the 128b eeprom is assign setup codes to device buttons, and maybe not even all of them, and set VPT.
The 2K rdf loaded shows no keymove/macro area assigned, no learning area assigned (N/A), but 762 bytes of upgrade area available.
Neither rdf is denoted as "incomplete", "beta", "starter" or any other notation indicating that the rdfs aren't finished.

Whomever created these rdf's is gonna have to explain the details.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created the RDF after playing with a remote that was loaded to me for just that purpose. I also replaced the 128b EEPROM with a 2k EEPROM.

This remote has very few features as you have discovered, so the only practical way to upgrade it is to create upgrades for it. Mark has added support for it to KM, so I would recommend replacing the EEPROM.

You need to be careful when removing surface mount parts as it's very easy to tear away the traces (which is a BAD thing), so if you don't think you have the ability to do this, drop me a line and I'll do it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: