JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR and JP2 Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: RMIR and JP2 Remote Reply with quote

I have a handful of URC-8820 remotes that I use to control a variety of setups around the house. I started out using IR v3.08 and am now working with RMIR v2.03 build 14.

I recently got my hands on an Atlas 1056B03 (a JP2 universal remote) for evaluation. However, when I plug it into my Windows 10 laptop using my venerable DIYGadget cable, I get the message "No remotes found!" Remote interface is set to Auto-detect (I didn't see an option to select JP2). Looking at ports using Device Manager, it appears my cable uses the Prolific chip, not the FTDI chip.

Is there a way to access this remote using RMIR with what I have, or (as I suspect) do I need to replace my old cable?

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect an FTDI cable would solve the problem.
Jim978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that my cable was the problem ... and maybe it's not the only problem I have.

I picked up a cheap Atlas JP2 universal remote for evaluation purposes, and it may be a good thing it was cheap. I figured that if worse came to worse I could always find a use for it, but that may not be the case. The cable device button is pre-programmed for a Motorola set top box, and the up/down channel keys act like they are hard wired. For example, when you enter a device code for your tv it will allow you to adjust the tv volume, access the tv menu, display tv program info, etc. However, it will not allow you to change channels on the tv. Pressing the channel button will only change the set top box channel, not the tv channel. (I guess this remote is actually universal-ish ... not really universal.) I've tried every trick I could think of to defeat this "feature" and nothing has worked.

So here's the question. If I get an FTDI cable, will RMIR allow me to reprogram the remote to eliminate this "feature?"
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 1056B03 can be programmed via RMIR to separately control the TV. As shipped from the factory, it isn't capable of keymoves, but mathdon wrote a mini-extender that enables the keymove feature.

You do need a FTDI chip for any JP2 remote. The Prolific chipset can write to the remotes, but fails on reading. Apparently Prolific ships don't correctly handle the unusual RS-232 configuration used in UEI remotes: UEI uses 2 stop bits.
Jim978

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,

Thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on the JP2 Atlas, you can't turn off channel lock with 973?

It's still in the manual. Or do I have the wrong manual?
http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/AtlasOCAPM1056LManual-sm.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: