JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Making an upgrade need some help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Making an upgrade need some help Reply with quote

Ok i got a RCRP05BR remote.
I set it up and loaded it with RMIR no problem. Just testing right now as i am new to the HTPC market and am getting everything setup just the way i like before i cut the cord.

I setup the TV,DVR, CBL, And DVD
TV Samsung, 0812
DVR is My Ceton Echo 1972 + learning keys override
CBL is for the Cable box, 1376
DVD is for the HTPC, Loaded a upgrade for ACR-1100 as that it the IR device i am using on the PC.

All is working well so far.

So my questions are.
Can i make a upgrade file for the DVR device (DVR Code 1972 +learning) that i could edit (like the DVD upgrade i fine tuned to my liking). How do i know what is in the DVD 1972 code? as i know what is in the learning codes.

I downloaded KM and opened in excel but not sure how to use it, is there any walk throughs, as i think i should be able to callup the programing for the remote with 1972 code programed for the DVR.

Or maybe there is a program that can record what the IR sees as i press each button.

Thanks for any help, i am new to JP1 and am will to learn if you can just point me to the right read materials.

Rainey
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Making an upgrade need some help Reply with quote

Rainey2 wrote:
I downloaded KM and opened in excel but not sure how to use it, is there any walk throughs, as i think i should be able to callup the programing for the remote with 1972 code programed for the DVR.

I'd recommend using remote master (RM) instead of Km. Remote master is actively maintained, knows more protocols and remotes and can open km text files as well as it's own RDMU files. It is also easier.

Quote:
So my questions are.
Can i make a upgrade file for the DVR device (DVR Code 1972 +learning) that i could edit (like the DVD upgrade i fine tuned to my liking). How do i know what is in the DVD 1972 code? as i know what is in the learning codes.

Yes you can. You might want to start with the Ceton Echo upgrade in the file section. I believe that is an rm file. The lookup tool, link at the top of the page, also will give you information on the built in setup codes. The lookup tool is a compsite of the way the code looks like in all the remotes. Sometimes keys change over time.

Remote master also has its own version of IR built in. I prefer IR, but I'm in the minority.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Echo upgrade is complete, no learning required, and pretty much identical to 1972.
Rainey2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded one of the echo upgrades i downloaded a week ago and it seemed to act funny with my echo, so i went back to the 1972 and learned keys.

I just loaded the Ceton Echo upgrade file again, and now that i know more about mapping buttons it dose seem to work OK. Being new i had to learn what the echo remote buttons do. Like why is there a Power Off button if you should not use it, or why have Volume buttons if they don't work and you can't program the Ceton remote. The clear button only works on a few things. The Ceton remote sucks. Thats why i got the JP1 remote to begin with.

Just need to learn about macros so i can push one button to turn on TV and Echo at the same time.
or
One button to exit the echo by the close command as it seems the echo startup to recovering mode sometimes if you power it off without using the close command from the menu. Still learning about these echoes. The Ceton Echo upgrade file has the power key mapped to Standby, but it does seem to power on the echo not sure what it dose when turning it off.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standby is a Power Toggle, in spite of its name. I use Power On and Power Off in my macros and recommend you do the same, adding an extra Close if you need it (I never have). I assign Standby to the Power button. Just assign Power On and Off to phantoms as I do and use those in your macros. On the RCA I like to use phantom1 for DiscreteOn and shift-phantom1 for DiscreteOff. Phantoms are virtual buttons that can have commands assigned and can be used in macros. You can use real buttons instead, if you prefer.

I made the Echo upgrade from Ceton's own published codes long before I ever owned an Echo or saw an Echo Remote. The extra commands that don't work on Echo are there because all are just standard MCE commands they didn't bother to delete. If you were to use an Echo remote on a PC or Xbox (by changing the address), then Vol, DVD Menu and others would indeed work. And who says you shouldn't use Power Off? I find it invaluable.

I can assure you the commands and protocols in the Echo upgrade are identical to the built in 1972. Which remote button does what is completely up to you. If you don't like having functions that don't apply to the Echo, just delete them. That's the beauty of JP1, you're in total control.

Starting in recovery mode is not normal. One of my 6 Echoes used to do that. You need to open a ticket with Ceton and flash the firmware again. That should fix it.
Rainey2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej

I was referring the the Ceton remote when saying the buttons were not needed (not your upgrade file) but i understand it is just an MCE remote. As to who told me not to use the power off button.

Ceton told not to.

I got 3 Echos from Newegg. One would not connect at all and had a hard time just getting an IP. That one i sent back to newegg for a refund.

The other two worked but one of the two, each time i turned it off the next day when i turned it on, it would go into recovering mode (happened twice). This is before i ever got the tuner I was just testing them within the 30 day return.

Closer to the end of the thirty days i had got the tuner and set it up, had to load an old PC with win7 as my main PC with win 8.1 would not work with the echos. The old PC was not fast enough, so i loaded a VM until i got a new PC for Win 7.

Got it all working but that one echo again went into recovering after i powered it on. I contacted Ceton and asked for an RMA. They had me run a data collection and complained about me running a WMC VM and that i was not selecting close to exit. They sent me a long list of Helpful tips.
This is one of them
● When turning off the Echo, go to Settings and select the "Close" button in the WMC Echo menu. Powering off the Echo or PC while your Extender is connected may lead to corruption. The Close feature was developed by Microsoft to exit an Extender session gracefully. Using the Close feature also helps resolve Third Party Plugin registry corruption issues

In the end i think the problem was because i had the Ceton power supply plugged into the outlet the PC was plugged into and not the same outlet the TV was plugged into, so i had some kind of ground loop between the HDMI output and the USB Power input.

And thanks for the Macro tips, i can see why those on off functions are needed now.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Never heard of using Close before. Unfortunately that would be hard to put in a macro. If Close is really that important, they should make it do that automatically before a power down, or at least give us a discrete command for it. Alternately, you could just leave your Echoes powered on 24x7 since they hardly use any power. Just be sure to press Stop so you don't leave any live tuners tied up.

You're having really bad luck with your Echoes. I've been using 6 or so on and off for a few years now and never used Close. I've even bought bricked ones from others and got them working again. I have found though, if your network and server aren't really solid, Echo can have lots of problems. So first thing I'd do is make sure you have giga routers/switches, and all cabling is perfect. And make sure PC is running fast and smooth. Any hiccups will wreak havoc. I also think you're asking for trouble serving Echoes from a VM. You'll have a lot better luck with Xboxes in that case as they are much more forgiving.

The last non-functioning Echo I bought was in a recovery loop, and the first thing Ceton told me to downgrade then update the firmware. Fixed my issue right away.

Win 8.1 does work with Echo. But you have no GUI and have to use MMC on a smartphone for control/guide/recordings.
Rainey2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have GB switches and router, no issues CPU power or anything like that.

The VM was temporary and has been replaced with a Win 7 PC. Is has happened only one time (recovering firmware) now that i have every thing setup normal, and i did not use close to exit. You see an event in the windows event log about the RDP session did not exiting normally.

That is what Ceton told me to do is just leave it on, but i did not want it to hold a Tuner. Still learning what i can do with this setup like hit stop. Starting to look like i need another HDHomerun Prime as i already have times when i have all 3 tuners recording at the same time. I still have a few Cables boxes so i get by for now.

The only other issue i have with the echoes is the Zoom, the picture is not stable once i change to Zoom 2 , 3 or 4, i have to change back to Zoom 1. I don't use it much but you would think it should work correctly.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom is a known bug that has never been fixed.

Abrupt RDP session end in event log is harmless. None of my extenders, even Xbox, ever exited normally.
Sammy2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mdavej

Is there a way to program a macro that will hit "stop" and then shut off the TV, leaving the echo on? It is my experience that leaving them on is better as it can take some time to boot up and connect to the network after being off for a while.

Also, I was looking at the echo file you sent me and it doesn't have the "info" function programmed in functions or on the key map so I was wondering how to set that up. I use "info" quite often actually.
Sammy2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Zoom is a known bug that has never been fixed.

Abrupt RDP session end in event log is harmless. None of my extenders, even Xbox, ever exited normally.

Is there a way to program a macro that will hit "stop" and then shut off the TV, leaving the echo on? It is my experience that leaving them on is better as it can take some time to boot up and connect to the network after being off for a while.

Also, I was looking at the echo file you sent me and it doesn't have the "info" function programmed in functions or on the key map so I was wondering how to set that up. I use "info" quite often actually.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy2 wrote:
Is there a way to program a macro that will hit "stop" and then shut off the TV, leaving the echo on?
You can put anything you want in a macro. Just add the commands as you stated them above, leaving out any Echo power commands.
Quote:
In Ceton-speak, "More (i Button)" = Info. It's already assigned to the Info button in my upgrade file.

The only functions I've not assigned are Online Media (because it no longer exists in WMC), Teletext (because I don't live in the UK) and Play/Pause Combo (because I prefer discrete Play and Pause commands). If you want to assign them, just drag and drop on the Layout tab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: