JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Widget or just use learning remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes. Number is arbitrary.

2) Click File Section, Diagnosis Area, Upload for troubleshooting. If you're satisfied your RMDU is fit for sharing, upload to to appropriate Device Upgrades category.
node

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded all the files in zip, called T10, but not seeing it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the zip file?
node

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13917

This is the link I was uploading as a RAR, changed to ZIP and it was uploaded. I placed the .ict/rmdu/rmir/rmir from learn/txt from IRScope.

I was able to get it working fine.

I have built also a rmdu and rmir for the M8 android remote I have upload it here.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13918

Mod:

Can you kindly move the M8 upgrade to the Media Player section I think it is there it belong. Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I guess you missed the bold "(Please, NO RAR Files, use Zip. 8MB limit)" note.

Do you have an exact model number for your M8 box, when I google it I see several possibilities.
node

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob; sure did, apologizes, my bad.

The differences on the M8 are the CPUs. There are M8 : M8N & M8S; all using Amlogic. The remotes there are two models, the T10 model remote and the M8 I upload will work. Most owners has one or the other.

It is called a M8 4K OTT TV Box no special model number.

On a different note.
I would highly recommend those thinking of getting the Nevo C2, also pick up the Panasonic Eneloop batteries with charger. This thing drain batteries.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
There are alternatives to the IrWidget and to the IrScope.

For the DIY-inclined, using an Arduino with appropriate sensors and firmware is a very good alternative. I just finished this hardware guide on how to build one such, to a price less than $10 USD. It can be used with IrScrutinizer.

Then there is the IrToy, for around $20 USD. It can be used natively by IrScrutinizer. BUT, it can also be flashed with an alternative firmware, making an IrWidget.AFAIK, works perfektly.

IrScrutinizer also support some other hardware, like GlobalCache and CommandFusion.These are in the three-digit price range though.

Personally, I think that IrScope, although it "does the job", suffers from really bad "usability". Capturing several signals, and you must multiplex your hands between the widget, the remote, and the mouse, just to click away those pesky "OK" (modal) popups. IrScutinizer (which also supports the IrWidget) does not suffer from that shortcoming.

Finally, the IrWidget, as originially proposed by Kevin Timmerman, is a very simple construction. In the Tommy-version, it basically consists of one microprocessor PIC12F629, one FTDI chip (for USB communication) and one sensor (QSE157?). Then there are some mechanical components, a LED, and some resistors. Total price < $5 USD. No-one expects anyone to sell anything for the price of the components, but $35 USD...? But in the end, it is the free market; supply and demand rules.

Hello, although I have a usb ir widget, I decided to order a ir toy v2 and I received it a few months ago. I tested it shortly with ir scrutinizer and it was working as I got the decodes from the ir scrutinizer. I didn't dip any deeper.

Today I needed to do a decode of my remote, and decided to try ir toy. However, ir scrutinizer seemed to have a lot more features than I needed. I, therefore, decided to flash it to ir widget mode.

On its project page, I downloaded a bootloader.exe and a fw_update.exe file. According to its web page, to upgrade firmware, there are 3 steps.

Step 1, activate bootloader mode.
method 1, use a terminal program to enable bootloader mode.
After research, it seems to simply use a terminal prompt and type "bootloader.exe "a number"" in my case, it was com 9, so I tyed bootloader 9.

method 2, short two soldering points, which I don't have the tool to do.

Step 2, upload firmware.
type at the terminal the following command
fw_update -e -w -v -m flash -vid 0x04D8 -pid 0xFD0B -ix 1.hex
where 1.hex was the new firmware.

Step 3, reset the ir toy.
just unshort the ir toy soldering points and unplug it from pc.

In step 2, I typed "bootloader 9" and the indicating led became yellow.
I assumed that it was in bootloader mode.
I then went on to enter the fw_update command.
It flashed successful.
I was able to run ir scope with ir toy v2.
Can I assume that the flash was successful and I now have a ir toy emulated as ir widget?

Thanks.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
Can I assume that the flash was successful and I now have a ir toy emulated as ir widget?

Simple: the flashing was successful if (and only if) the device works. Wink There are no other indications, no version number reported, no LEDs.

Quote:

You need a 5cm (2 inch) wire...

Basically, when the device is in bootloader mode the orange LED is on constantly, the device does not show up in the Windows device manager as COM or in /dev(tty* on Linux.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
chuliu wrote:

Simple: the flashing was successful if (and only if) the device works. Wink There are no other indications, no version number reported, no LEDs.

Quote:

You need a 5cm (2 inch) wire...

Basically, when the device is in bootloader mode the orange LED is on constantly, the device does not show up in the Windows device manager as COM or in /dev(tty* on Linux.

OK, great to know.
One thing worth noting is that it was reported that win7 or above seemed to have issues flashing it. I used winxp. Did not try with other OS.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Barf. I need your help.
I am trying to flash my ir toy v2 from ir widget mode back to ir toy mode.
I read on a forum that I cannot use a terminal program to enable bootloader mode. I need to short pgd and pgc points.

Since I have no soldering experience, I decided to order some 2.54mm pcb connectors off the web. I received them today. But when I tried to short the two points and connect it to usb, the led doesn't light up. Also, I tried to capture with usb ir scope and it was still capturing signal. I assume it is not in bootloader mode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aHzss3qrAHVzJZdHhHR0wxUU0/view?usp=sharing

Here is a link to a photo of my ir toy.

Are the pgc and pgd the marked points in the photo?

Last edited by chuliu on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the firmware update guide. The photo there (in step 1) is not showing the latest hardware revision; on your photo it is the two rightmost holes that should be connected.. No need to solder, just connect the "holes" together with a piece of wire, or a paper clip or whatever. Also, I have also successfully put it in bootloader mode by typing the dollar sign from a terninal program.

If the device is in bootloader mode, the orange LED is constantly on, and the device does not appear as a serial port.

Hope this helps.
chuliu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I followed your advice and used a paper clip to short the two holes and the led light up. I was able to flash it back with ir toy v22 firmware.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl. Very Happy

Glad that I was able to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: