JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiple Protocols per Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatohead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Multiple Protocols per Remote Reply with quote

Hello, Folks!

I'm new to RM and custom remotes and am wondering if it's possible to set up a single Sling remote with different protocols for different buttons? I've done a lot of searching on the web and my research is suggesting otherwise -- mainly due to a lack of sufficient information. The best I could find on the matter is to use RM's "Device Combiner" feature; But again, information on that is terse at best.

I'm not exactly sure if it's possible to accomplish what I'm asking, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could either point me in the right direction or let me know if I'm just pounding sand here.

Thanks in advance for your help! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many remotes support device-combiners, but there is no device-combiner support for slingboxes.

What protocols do you need to combine?
potatohead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's what I suspected. I was looking to mix some NEC1 and XMP-1 commands together for a more convenient remote, but I guess that isn't possible because of limitations within the Slingbox itself. Unfortunately this looks to be another one of those times when you can't always get what you want. C'est la vie. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, thanks for the response -- at least I won't be spinning my wheels on this any longer! Smile
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically it is possible to write a custom executor which can send two or more IR protocols. There are a few restrictions. Very Happy

Size in bytes: The executor plus all of the XMP/NEC1 commands have to fit into the space allowed by the Slingbox. Depending on how many total commands you want, this may be practical.

A flag bit is needed: The executor needs to be told whether a given function should be sent using the NEC1 or the XMP-1 section of the executor. Since XMP-1 and NEC1 both use 8 bit commands, we'd need two command bytes to describe each signal, and that uses space. I haven't put any effort into this, but I guess you'd probably be limited to around 25 total signals. An alternate but unlikely scenario is to find that the entire set of XMP-1 and NEC signals didn't use one of the 8 bits of OBC. For example, suppose that all of the OBCs were less than 128. In that case we could use bit 7 of the OBC as the NEC1/XMP-1 flag.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XMP is a huge executor, so to combine that with the device combiner code, it would be way too big for Slingbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: