JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC2068 Remote Program the DTA button for Evolution DMS2004

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vpaul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: URC2068 Remote Program the DTA button for Evolution DMS2004 Reply with quote

Is there a way to program the URC2068 Remote DTA button for control of the Evolution DMS2004. I believe this remote comes factory programmed for a certain cable provider but I would think there is a way to reprogram it. THANKS
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we've come across the URC-2068 before, but it does appear to be a UEI remote, here's the user manual...
http://www.urcsupport.com/images/uploaded_images/MUG2068-GP-03.pdf

If this remote supports JP1, we have an upgrade file for the Evolution DMS-2002, which will probably work with the DMS-2004
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9673

It looks like the right UEI setup codes for this box are CBL/1700 and CBL/1812, but looking at the user manual, it only includes setup codes for TVs, so I am assuming that the cable box is pre-programmed and not changeable by the end user. If that is indeed the case, you will need JP1 to re-program it, assuming that it has a 6-pin connector in the battery compartment.
vpaul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I will try those codes with this remote and see what happens. The remote may be too old to accept these codes if that is possible. I do have an Older Comcast remote that I think is JP1 and possibly this might work. Only other thing I am thinking is that the codes for the 2002 model dta are different from the 2004 dta I am trying to get to work. Thanks Again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 codes do not appear to be in very many remotes, so even if you have a remote that accepts cable codes, I doubt they will be in it.

If you want a cheap, ready-to-go remote, you could pick up a OARUSB04G, Amazon has a used one available for $11 shipped:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HNIHM5S/

or you can get a new one on ebay for $16 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331773674758

or there's the Nevo C2, which is $17 shipped from China:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281389494614

USB Remote Info:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16877
vpaul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thanks for your prompt, Kind and concise replies to me. The codes CBL/1700 and CBL/1812 did not work for the remotes I have. Time for an upgrade for me. I was able to get my HTC cell phone to work on the Evolution DMS2004 DTA using an app called Anymote. It worked directly from the profile choice within the app and also by using the learn function, worked either way. I do wish there was a way to take a simple remote such as the URC2068 and reprogram the DTA button. I am sure they are set at the factory to control whatever manufacture requested. I did think that the URC2068's might possibly all be made the same and the cable provider programs them for their respective DTA boxes. Thanks again !!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpaul wrote:
I do wish there was a way to take a simple remote such as the URC2068 and reprogram the DTA button.

There is, JP1 lets you do that, assuming the URC-2068 has a 6-pin connector in the battery compartment. Does it?
vpaul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't see one. But my Comcast remote does. Maybe I should get a cable for the Comcast remote and try some things. I am Interested in learning.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest JP1 cable on the market is this $9 cable on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

It comes with 6 individual connectors, rather than 1 6-hole connector, so you can either glue them together, using the guide here, or you can buy a connector for $1.50 from Dave here.

Of course, there are a couple of JP1 remotes that have USB ports and come with their own USB cables, more info here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16877
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpaul wrote:
Rob, Thanks for your prompt, Kind and concise replies to me. The codes CBL/1700 and CBL/1812 did not work for the remotes I have. Time for an upgrade for me. I was able to get my HTC cell phone to work on the Evolution DMS2004 DTA using an app called Anymote. It worked directly from the profile choice within the app and also by using the learn function, worked either way. I do wish there was a way to take a simple remote such as the URC2068 and reprogram the DTA button. I am sure they are set at the factory to control whatever manufacture requested. I did think that the URC2068's might possibly all be made the same and the cable provider programs them for their respective DTA boxes. Thanks again !!!

Try the following unlock Cable device:

1. press cable
2. press and hold SET OR SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9 8 2

It should blink 4 times if the device is unlocked, it blinks 2 times to lock the device
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpaul wrote:
No I don't see one. But my Comcast remote does. Maybe I should get a cable for the Comcast remote and try some things. I am Interested in learning.

Which Comcast remote do you have. Is it a silver remote that controls the Aux, TV, and Cable? If so is the OK button Red or Grey?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vpaul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund and vickyg2003, Thank YOU for your replies. It is a Comcast remote, silver with the red OK button. I will try the unlock code at my 1st opportunity. I would think that Evolution DMS2004 DTA did not come up with their own unique codes and that some other code would work. Thanks Again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpaul wrote:
I would think that Evolution DMS2004 DTA did not come up with their own unique codes and that some other code would work.

There are indeed many upgrades in the file section that use the same codeset (NEC1 64.64) but I only see 3 UEI setup codes that use it, those being the 2 I mentioned (CBL/1700, 1812) and another CBL/2479. Actually, there is one single remote that also has an audio code 1487 with the same codeset.

So, even if you can unlock the DTA button, I don't think it's that likely that there's a matching code in the remote.
vpaul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well time to give up on mu quest. I have spent too much time trying different scenarios. I am sure I need a newer remote or a learning remote. I will use my smartphone as needed as a secondary remote for the Evolution DMS2004 box. I did try with another remote today model Motorola DRC800 to program a cable button. I am afraid everything I already own is too old. I picked up a RCA RCRN04GR remote from Home Depot that listed Evolution as a device it can program and it did not work either. In the past I had excellent results programming the Comcast/Silver with red OK button to do many things. Thanks Again all for your input. If OK I may open a thread in this forum on Evolution DMS2004 DTA and compatible remotes. My cable provider is giving out these DTA's to use for their digital TV switch over. Claiming we will not get TV in the future if we do not have a digital converter box. Well there is always antenna, Ha ha.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That RCA isn't JP1, but doesn't it learn? If you get a JP1 cable, you can load the Evolution codes into your Comcast. If DMS2004UHDS is your model, we can get the codes from the Harmony database. A cable is only $8, which is less than you spent on that other remote.
vpaul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the next model up from the model of RCA I have is a learning remote. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: