JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lost on starting my setup - multiple rooms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Lost on starting my setup - multiple rooms Reply with quote

I'm not new to setting up remotes (had 3 Monster AVL 300s), but am lost as to how to start setting up my 5 Nevo C2s.

I read the tutorial (which seems to use an old version with a toolbar) and the manual and get how to assign functions to keys.

I want all 5 remotes programmed the same. When you start (home screen), I'd like the 3 rooms with av equipment to show as softkeys.

When you select a room, I'd like it to turn the equipment for that room on. When I press the power button, I'd like everything powered off.

I am open to other setups that will do what I want (which is basically have the same programming for all remotes but usable in different rooms with different equipment).

Each room has a media player (either WMC or Kodi), a receiver and a tv.

I guess I am not sure how to translate the lingo from Monster/Harmony to RM (rooms, activities, etc.).

RM seems to recognize my remote, so at least I have that going.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: go to ez-rc.com and connect your remote, then pick all your devices to make sure that (a) you have the latest firmware for the remote and (b) you have setup codes for all of your devices.

Step 2: disconnect your remote and confirm that you can control each of your devices.

Step 3: do the rest of the programming in RMIR.

Connect each Nevo to the web site at least once, to get the lastest firmware, then after that, you should be able to do all the programming once in RMIR and then load the file into each remote, so they'll all be exact clones.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Step 1: go to ez-rc.com and connect your remote, then pick all your devices to make sure that (a) you have the latest firmware for the remote and (b) you have setup codes for all of your devices.

Step 2: disconnect your remote and confirm that you can control each of your devices.

Step 3: do the rest of the programming in RMIR.

Connect each Nevo to the web site at least once, to get the lastest firmware, then after that, you should be able to do all the programming once in RMIR and then load the file into each remote, so they'll all be exact clones.

I seem to be stuck. Remote says "Upgrade Mode" "USB not connected".

I clicked the UPDATE button on the screen and that was it. It said to connect and press OK, but it doesn't do anything.

I tried starting over with no luck.

I am using Win10 and already have the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled reg key set to 0.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried on 2 different remotes and both got stuck in the same spot. The screen won't turn off unless I remove the batteries. I read Power+1+3 while putting in the batteries will reset it, but that hasn't worked either.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key changes in the middle of the update. You have to change it again. The key also has a different name. So the old key may be set correctly, but the new one probably is not. Names could be "XSIGHT.", "XSIGHT_COLOR" or "Xsight". You have to change them all.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The key changes in the middle of the update. You have to change it again. The key also has a different name. So the old key may be set correctly, but the new one probably is not. Names could be "XSIGHT.", "XSIGHT_COLOR" or "Xsight". You have to change them all.

I did read that, but didn't think it applied (the original was set to 0 already for me). That fixed it. Thanks
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I updated the firmware and added the devices from one room.

Should I start activities in the EZ software or in RM?

Should I use activities as "rooms"? I am used to rooms in Harmony/Monster lingo.

I don't have more than one activity per room really since I want to just turn everything on. I don't need "Listen to music in Living room" and "Watch a dvd in living room" and "Watch TV in family room" kind of level.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have very unusual requirements. RM will give you more freedom to what you want.

But I don't think you should take the "rooms" approach. I would recommend one remote per room with more traditional activities. Universal remotes simply work best that way.

In the living room, if you have a TV, AVR, BD player, Tivo, Xbox, Roku, etc., just turning everything on will waste energy, not select the appropriate inputs or give you control of the specific devices you're using at the time. Then you'd have to be jumping from one device to another to control each one. Seems like a very awkward and inefficient approach to me.

The idea is to make activity macros to do the particular thing you want to do "watch TV", etc. and have all the related functions at your fingertips with minimal button presses or navigation required.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You have very unusual requirements. RM will give you more freedom to what you want.

But I don't think you should take the "rooms" approach. I would recommend one remote per room with more traditional activities. Universal remotes simply work best that way.

In the living room, if you have a TV, AVR, BD player, Tivo, Xbox, Roku, etc., just turning everything on will waste energy, not select the appropriate inputs or give you control of the specific devices you're using at the time. Then you'd have to be jumping from one device to another to control each one. Seems like a very awkward and inefficient approach to me.

The idea is to make activity macros to do the particular thing you want to do "watch TV", etc. and have all the related functions at your fingertips with minimal button presses or navigation required.

I use all devices at once. For example, in my living room I have a receiver, tv and windows media center. They all work together. Without the tv, I have no video and can't control the media center. Without the receiver, I have no sound. Without the WMC, I have no source.

The "activity" is controlled by the menus on the WMC...like Live TV, recorded tv, music, etc. which I use the navigation keys on the remote to access.

Remotes tend to get mixed up. One runs out of battery and someone grabs one from another room. If they aren't interchangeable, that makes it much harder/confusing to other people.

I guess I don't understand the capabilities. Are all devices available to all activities? Can different activities have different key mappings and soft buttons?

Do I have to have Favorites, Activities and devices on the home screen?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaeljc70 wrote:
I use all devices at once. For example, in my living room I have a receiver, tv and windows media center. They all work together. Without the tv, I have no video and can't control the media center. Without the receiver, I have no sound. Without the WMC, I have no source.
Pretty standard stuff and perfect for a "WMC" activity. Such an activity would turn on everything, set the right inputs on the receiver and TV (just in case), and set the playback and menu buttons to control WMC, and volume buttons to control the receiver just like you said. Call it "Room 1" if you want.

Quote:
Remotes tend to get mixed up. One runs out of battery and someone grabs one from another room. If they aren't interchangeable, that makes it much harder/confusing to other people.
In that case, your plan should be fine. I think our difference is mostly symantics.

Quote:
I guess I don't understand the capabilities. Are all devices available to all activities?
Yes. The activity lets you assign different groups of buttons to different devices.
Quote:
Can different activities have different key mappings and soft buttons?
Yes

Quote:
Do I have to have Favorites, Activities and devices on the home screen?
Yes. Can't change that.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I have a better understanding.

I created an activity called "Living Room". It turns everything on. I first created a macro to do that on the macro tab, but it seems like I couldn't select that in the activities screen- I had to create it there. Is that the case?

I no longer see the buttons tab, so I guess I am not clear on how I assign functions to buttons.

I see things like Picture/Sound/Power assist which I googled and couldn't find anything on.

I see activity group assignments to assign a device to a particular button, but all the soft buttons are grouped together. Does that mean all soft buttons must control the tv (or only 1 particular) device?

Thanks for the help
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on all accounts. If you want more than just one device's functions on the screen, add them in the device editor.

Assist is a kind of help function to manally resend activity steps. I disable all of that. Pretty useless IMO.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go into TV under devices, I can change key assignments, but only to other tv functions. So, if I want softkey 1 to change the tv aspect ratio and softkey 2 to turn zone 2 off the receiver off under this activity, I don't see how I do that.

I imagine I could create a fake device with codes from multiple devices assigned to different softkeys for that device, but hope I don't have to do that.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other quick question is if I need to add a device later, is it safe to do so from the EZ software or remote directly or will that mess up my RM setup?

Unless I am missing something, it seems like there are more devices in the EZ software than in the RM software.
michaeljc70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaeljc70 wrote:
When I go into TV under devices, I can change key assignments, but only to other tv functions. So, if I want softkey 1 to change the tv aspect ratio and softkey 2 to turn zone 2 off the receiver off under this activity, I don't see how I do that.

I imagine I could create a fake device with codes from multiple devices assigned to different softkeys for that device, but hope I don't have to do that.

It looks what I need is a Device Combiner?

However, according to the Wiki I select Device Combiner as the Protocol. I don't see that as an option under Protocol. I see things like brands for components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: