JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do I need next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa left me a Nevo C2. I removed it from the bubble wrap and the first thing was the mid area had that horrible eeewwww feeling of disintegrating UEI coating and there were sticky finger prints all over it. So much for it being "new". Fortunately I've dealt with that before. WD40 and a Dobie sponge allowed me to scrape off that icky-sticky gunk, followed by a dry toweling to wipe off all the greasy WD 40. It feels good as new now.

No instructions were included, so I went to the www.ez-rc.com website printed on the back of the remote. I can see that this is way past its prime as the website is , "designed to work with IE 7 and 8." I clicked on take a tour link, but the link doesn't have an associated destination.

Is there a manual?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like Santa picked you up an old used one, which is a pity as he could have got you a brand new one on ebay, oh well.

Here's the manual:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13389

And here's the wiki page:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Rob.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that ez-rc.com will not work correctly with any other browser but IE even though it may appear to load. And you need to hook up to it at least once to update the remote's firmware, unless yours has already been done.

The most obvious sign of out-of-date firmware is a big, fat "Assist" soft button that appears in every activity even with no assists programmed. Perhaps this info should be added to the wiki.

Mine was obviously brand new although packed in bubble wrap, and still shows no signs of any deterioration.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the Nevo was even old enough for the surface to be deteriorated, even on the very oldest model. I am still using a 15-1994 from 1999 with the same surface and it's ok.

But, I was going through some old boxes of remotes the other day and I picked up an old URC-9800 Producer 8 and OMG, it was covered in a sticky black slime. Definitely ready for some WD40 or something, or maybe just the trash.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
It's important to note that ez-rc.com will not work correctly with any other browser but IE even though it may appear to load. And you need to hook up to it at least once to update the remote's firmware, unless yours has already been done.

Thanks for that heads up. I usually only use IE when I want to print something from the internet. I'll make sure that I do that update from IE.

The Robman wrote:
I didn't think the Nevo was even old enough for the surface to be deteriorated, even on the very oldest model. I am still using a 15-1994 from 1999 with the same surface and it's ok.
Yes and this one was supposed to be new. I think he paid two prices for it too, since it was my "big" gift. Most of my UEI remotes never had this problem, but the two that did were really icky. This seems to be a trait of the more expensive UEI remotes.

Quote:
But, I was going through some old boxes of remotes the other day and I picked up an old URC-9800 Producer 8 and OMG, it was covered in a sticky black slime. Definitely ready for some WD40 or something, or maybe just the trash.
My old producer 8 and the chameleon 9960 are the two that had the coating disintegrate. WD40 and a Dobie sponge really do a nice job on this goo! The Dobie sponge won't scatch the remote, and is tough enough to scrape off all the disgusting layer. I cleaned these back in 2007 and the sticky goo has not returned. Pick up a dobie the next time you are at The Jewel.

Hopefully the Nevo will stay goo free for the next 8 years. It only effects the center band all the way around the remote. Volume keys, arrow keys, Channel keys, Guide, menu, info, exit. You touched them and felt ill.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but the keys will go long before it gets icky again, maybe 3 years if you're lucky. That's the main reason I have so many of them.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I hate to be a Debbie downer,
Debbie? is that autocorrect for Dobie? Laughing or am I missing another obscure cultural reference? Laughing

Quote:
but the keys will go long before it gets icky again, maybe 3 years if you're lucky. That's the main reason I have so many of them.

Just for these models? I have yet to have a UEI remote button fail, unless the batteries leaked. That battery leakage has been a huge problem for me in recent years.
lnoland1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
- or something with a lovely new extender and nice buttons, OARUSB04G?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/

Having recently lost my AR version of the Nevo C2, it looks like I'm in the market for a new remote so I came to the forum looking for pointers. While the Nevo C2 certainly looks like the obvious choice, this caught my eye and the fact that there is an extender for it is attractive. I'm a little concerned about the fact that it is only designed for four devices, however. Given that I've retired my ReplayTVs and I'm in the process of dropping cable, the number of devices in my system is on the wane, but I've still got a lot more than four. Is there a similar remote available with a larger capacity?

Thanks.

- Les
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
mdavej wrote:
I hate to be a Debbie downer,
Debbie? is that autocorrect for Dobie? Laughing or am I missing another obscure cultural reference? Laughing

That would be the latter! Smile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Downer
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnoland1 wrote:
I've retired my ReplayTVs

I hate to hear that, for me I'm just getting back into them. The DNNA closedown forced me to finally install WiRNS so I could keep getting the channel guide so now I'm archiving all my shows on my WiRNS pc so I can share them via IVS and I'm getting lots of shows sent to me too. I even picked up another unit recently as a spare in case one of my units fail.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnoland1 wrote:
tranx wrote:

Having recently lost my AR version of the Nevo C2, it looks like I'm in the market for a new remote so I came to the forum looking for pointers. While the Nevo C2 certainly looks like the obvious choice, this caught my eye and the fact that there is an extender for it is attractive. I'm a little concerned about the fact that it is only designed for four devices, however. Given that I've retired my ReplayTVs and I'm in the process of dropping cable, the number of devices in my system is on the wane, but I've still got a lot more than four. Is there a similar remote available with a larger capacity?
Using Shift and XShift, the extender for OARUSB04G increases capacity to twelve devices and six activity/combo modes, each with 10 button-group assignments. Overall it triples the number of available buttons and there are also 15 'Phantom buttons', each with a Shifted and an XShifted form, for each device.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Santa left me a Nevo C2. I removed it from the bubble wrap and the first thing was the mid area had that horrible eeewwww feeling of disintegrating UEI coating and there were sticky finger prints all over it. So much for it being "new". Fortunately I've dealt with that before. WD40 and a Dobie sponge allowed me to scrape off that icky-sticky gunk, followed by a dry toweling to wipe off all the greasy WD 40. It feels good as new now.

Is there a manual?

I have done WD-40 before, but actually what works a lot better is baby powder(or talcum powder). Coat it, rub it in and let it sit for 10 mins, wash off the excess with water and repeat. Then it will be good as new. I think even now you might consider this as the WD-40 treatment tends not to last...

I have gotten some new from China with the issue - I suspect they are not in an air conditioned warehouse!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnoland1 wrote:
tranx wrote:

Thanks.

- Les
Whatever you do, don't get the OAR from Amazon. While my last one from there was $10 a couple of weeks ago, they've now gone up to $40. Best Buy has them on clearance for $15. Makes me wonder what new model is on the horizon.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for-all-4-device-universal-remote-black/1731147.p?id=1219061847546&skuId=1731147
lnoland1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
lnoland1 wrote:
I've retired my ReplayTVs

I hate to hear that, for me I'm just getting back into them. The DNNA closedown forced me to finally install WiRNS so I could keep getting the channel guide so now I'm archiving all my shows on my WiRNS pc so I can share them via IVS and I'm getting lots of shows sent to me too. I even picked up another unit recently as a spare in case one of my units fail.

I think we, sort of, had this discussion over at the AVS forum. I can do so much more with MythTV there doesn't seem to be any reason to bend over backwards trying to keep the ReplayTV units going. The main advantages of the Replays over MythTV was that they were rock-solid reliable and easy to use so they made a great backup for when problems cropped up with my MythTV system, but if I have to get a digital-converter box, learn WIRNS, and perhaps, IVS, and who knows what else, they are no longer easy and probably not as reliable.

I do miss the sharing aspect. I suppose I could still run IVS for that but while it would be easy enough to watch shows recorded on ReplayTV using MythTV, I doubt that there is any way I could do the reverse so I wouldn't be contributing anything to the community which doesn't sit right with me

I haven't gotten rid of my units yet -- but I have my doubts about ever putting them back into service.

- Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: