JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing my first JP1 remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JezW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also works for the power button Mr. Green

Is it possible to rename the phantom buttons? My macros are getting a bit confusing.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16570

ToadTogs......whoaa Surprised

(as well as how to re-name the phantoms)
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha...I know!

This remote and extender are brilliant Smile
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to add some pause steps.

I also like to put my input commands at the beginning AND at the end of my macros. That way, if a device is already on, inputs switch right away. If it's just turning on and needs more time, the input commands at the end (after my pauses) cover it.

If you're ever in the market for a new amp, Denon is very remote friendly. Its discrete input commands also act as discrete on. So my macros are very simple and bullet proof.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I meant to put this in the ToadTog thread Rolling Eyes

A pause is an option, but my amp takes a few seconds to turn on so it might be a long pause!

I've tried the input commands at the end but it's still too quick for my TV if it was off. But my macros are longer now so I'll give it a go. Good idea having the input change at the start as well, thanks.

I'll remember about Denon but I love my amp Razz
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had to string together about 20 seconds worth of pauses for one system. Luckily, that was an RF system, so I didn't have to point the remote all that time.

Unfortunately, pauses are the only solution within a macro. Just do some tests so you use the minimum required time. It may start responding sooner than you realize.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still way too fast for my TV to change input if it was off!

I tried with a 2.5 second pause as well and that's still not long enough so I'll just press the button again if the TV was off and on the wrong input.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, missed your last post. You've evolved from an RF system to an IR one? lol

Amp works with a 2.7 second pause so not terrible. First world problems eh Rolling Eyes
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised, I've got my amp turning on near the end of the macro. I can probably shave another second off by putting it at the start Smile
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JezW wrote:
Sorry, missed your last post. You've evolved from an RF system to an IR one? lol
No, still RF. Nevo C3 is RF. Base has 6 blasters on 3m leads. Not a bad system. I use the IR C2's elsewhere.

But you're on the right track with your macros. Turn on the slowest device first, do other stuff, throw in some pauses as required, then come back.
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh very nice. I was thinking about RF but currently all my devices are in view, except my amp but that has an infra red extender which works well.

I got the pause down from 2.7s to 0.8 seconds by re-arranging the macro Smile
JezW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last issue and my remote is finished (for now!) Surprised

I've set up a global "All off" LKP on the power button, shown below

I've tested it on the 0 button for every device and in both the WatchTV and WatchMovie activity and it works globally.

However, when I put the macro on the power button it only seems to work when I'm in the TV, PVR or DVD device.

In the Extra device, WatchTV and WatchMovie activities it doesn't work.

In the Extra device, it just sends the power command to my amplifier.
In WatchTV and WatchMovie, the LKP does nothing.

I don't know what's different about the power button to the 0 button, which works fine for this macro. The only thing I can think of is that I have setup a ToadTog for the power button within the Extra device. Is that affecting it?
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a go, so yes. The manual says:
"Note that in long-press action it is the underlying function assigned to the Power button that is sent,...' (perhaps in EXTRA, that is done by the ToadTog, the LKP macro having precedence and being ignored) '... even if a macro is assigned to that button.' (as in LKPress for WatchTV and WatchMovie, where the LKP macro is being ignored)
'For a short press the button acts as normally, so the macro would be sent if one is assigned." (as in SKPress for WatchTV and WatchMovie)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Section 4.6 of the extender manual begins:

Quote:
The Power button has a dual function when the remote is in a combo mode. If it is pressed for less than 0.25 seconds then it acts as the Power button of the device assigned by its button group (group 5) for the activity concerned. If held for longer than 0.25 seconds then it sends the Power signal in turn for each device that is assigned to a button group in that combo mode.

This is why your LKP doesn't work on the Power button in the combo modes. If you hold it for the length of time needed for the long press of the LKP, it will be longer than 0.25 seconds, so behaves as in the final sentence of this quote.

Section 10.1 of the manual says:

Quote:
This is part of a more general priority ordering of DSM, then key move, then learned signal and finally traditional macro

This priority applies to ANY Special Function, not only to macros, so a device-specific Special Function (your ToadTog on Power for the Extra device) takes priority over the non-specific Special Function that is your LKP on the Power button.

So the behaviour you have found is what is supposed to happen. You may have to content yourself with putting the LKP on some other button.
JezW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that all makes sense. Sorry that you have to keep quoting the manual to me.

In case you ever plan on updating the extender, I hope you don't mind a suggestion - Maybe the user could be given the ability to disable the current use of the power button in combo mode. With people using discrete codes and ToadTog, power toggles might be used less frequently.

Thanks again for a great extender, the remote is brilliant now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: