JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No remotes found! - Time for new cable? - SOLVED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: No remotes found! - Time for new cable? - SOLVED Reply with quote

Hello again. It's been a while and now I'm back to being a beginner. I'm using my USB adapter and a new remote, but I'm having the famous "No Remotes Found". I've spent the last day searching the forum but I don't see anything that helps.

Just like the last time, the JP1xTEST works fine on my RCRP05B but not in RMIR. But now, I don't get any further.

Older USB Serial adapter
FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0403&PID_6001

Code:
C:\RemoteMaster\jp1xtest>jp1xtest.exe
jp1xtest version 0.00

*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM8! ***
Signature is 31793179
Memory address is $0600
Memory size is $1400 (5120)

C:\RemoteMaster\jp1xtest>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

From rmaster.err:

Code:
Starting upload
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = COM8
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched.  Trying to open remote.
Port Name = NULL
Failed to open

Is it time for a new cable?

Hamsterman

Last edited by Hamsterman on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think that message can mean that you don't have the RDF in the correct place. In RMIR, if you do a file-> new, can you find the RCA RCP05B? If not, then it is just a matter of relocating the RDF.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamsterman wrote:
Code:
Starting upload

I suggest you first try a download. If that doesn't work, try a raw download: from menu, select Remote > Raw download, then press Download on the panel that opens. If raw download doesn't work then you have a communication problem. If it works but an ordinary download doesn't, then the problem lies elsewhere, probably with the RDF as Vicky suggests.
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!

I started RMIR, then immediately attempted to download from the remote. That worked, so then I loaded the setup file and was able to successfully upload to the remote.

One thing I found interesting in the rmaster.err file:

Code:
Starting upload
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = COM8
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched.  Trying to open remote.
Port Name = COM8
Opened on Port COM8

This time, when uploaded, Port Name was no longer NULL. I'm wondering where that gets set, and if it is persistent. I may have just forgotten that I have to download from a remote before I can upload to it.

Hamsterman
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On further investigation, it looks to me as if you have RMIR set quite specifically to open JP1.X Serial on port COM8, and if you have the lead plugged into any other COM port, then it will fail. The setting is done with the menu item Remote > Interface, where you can choose Auto-detect (tries all interface types and their ports), or JP1.X Serial, where you can further choose either Auto-detect (tries all ports for JP1.X Serial), or can specify a particular COM port (tries that port only).

I would suggest that you set Auto-detect from the Remote > Interface list, or if there is a reason why you want to be specific about the interface type, set JP1.X Serial but with the port Auto-detect option. Either way it will then not matter which port you plug the lead into.

It is not necessary to do a download before an upload. In the end I think it was chance that you plugged the cable into the "right" port, rather than it being a download instead of an upload, that resolved the problem. My suggestions above should prevent a similar thing happening again in future.
Hamsterman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathdon,

Thank you for your suggestion. You are correct that I had set the interface to use COM8. However, it originally was set to Auto-detect, and then JP1x Serial Auto-detect, and did not work. JP1xTest determined it to be on COM8, and that was an option in the Port Selection, and so I set it there as part of my troubleshooting efforts.

Hamsterman
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamsterman, In view of your latest info, I think it will remain a mystery as to why your original upload attempt did not work. It seems that something must have prevented jp12serial.dll from finding the remote, but we have no way of finding what that was. To answer your earlier question:

Quote:
This time, when uploaded, Port Name was no longer NULL. I'm wondering where that gets set, and if it is persistent.

You will see that Port Name occurs twice. The values of Interface Name and Port Name that occur before it says "Trying to open remote" are the Remote > Interface menu settings and are persistent. They say what it is looking for when it searches for a remote. The second value of Port Name is where it found the remote. It is not persistent, a NULL value means that it didn't find one and will always be followed by "Failed to open".
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: