JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do I need next?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: What do I need next? Reply with quote

I'm tired of not understanding what you guys are talking about. I don't have anything past jp1.3. With Christmas coming up I'd like to drop a few hints and see if someone will pick up the clue and get me a new jp1 toy. The thing is I don't even know what I should hint about. What do I need to catch up?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as you Vicky, but if you don't have one yet, I would suggest that you get a Nevo C2 on ebay ($16 shipped from China)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221755585578
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- or something with a lovely new extender and nice buttons, OARUSB04G?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNIHM5S/
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- or ideally, both of the above. These are the leading remotes in the two main series since JP1.3, both programmed through their USB port.

I wouldn't bother with either JP1.4 or JP2, which still use the 6-pin connector, as the OARUSB04G style has essentially superseded them and has the same E2 structure (with segments, totally different from JP1.3 and earlier) as the JP1.4 and JP2 remotes. The Nevo, on the other hand, is the most advanced but it seems, as far as UEI is concerned, to be a dead end. It has yet another internal structure, also a UEI dead end, without an E2 area in any conventional sense. Instead it acts as an SSD drive and stores its data as a collection of files. There is no way that any extender can be written for the Nevo and similar remotes, so you are stuck with what you get.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you Vicky, but if you don't have one yet, I would suggest that you get a Nevo C2 on ebay ($16 shipped from China)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221755585578
Add me to the list. While I haven't posted here in forever, I check in daily. But I'm so behind the current JP1 technology it's not even funny. My trusty 2104's are dying a slow death so I'm looking to upgrade soon myself.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you and Rob posting again.

If you have any interest in Nevo, check out the wiki entry below. I tried to cover everything I could think of.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo#FAQ

Graham, 3FG, binky and others have done a hell of a lot of work to get this thing working in RM. It's really brilliant. Considering how cheap they are, I think every JP1er should have one if only to marvel at the changes to RM. Activities, multi-page support for the LCD button assignments, favorites, icons and logos, USB support, segment memory structure support among many other things were added to RM which paved the way for the likes for the OARUSB04G (also a must have remote for any JP1er).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone
It sounds like getting these two should bring me up to speed, and they seem to be much more reasonably priced than I expected. That is something that has been holding me back. I've been spoiled by the inexpensive remotes I have purchased to date.

I don't want a remote to be a remote, I have a life time supply of those. I just want to stay in the game. I fought too hard to get my head around this topic to just let it get away from me.

mathdon wrote:

I wouldn't bother with either JP1.4 or JP2, which still use the 6-pin connector, as the OARUSB04G style has essentially superseded them and has the same E2 structure (with segments, totally different from JP1.3 and earlier)

So what is the nomenclature for the Nevo and the OARUSB04G?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It's good to see you and Rob posting again.

If you have any interest in Nevo, check out the wiki entry below. I tried to cover everything I could think of.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo#FAQ

Nice write up Dave.

Quote:
Graham, 3FG, binky and others have done a hell of a lot of work to get this thing working in RM. It's really brilliant.

Yeah, they do good work!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
So what is the nomenclature for the Nevo and the OARUSB04G?

We've gone away from the "JPx.x" format in naming these. My understanding is that those names came from the labels UEI put on their PCBs, though I'm not sure if they ever used JP2 or JP3 as labels. With these newer remotes using USB, I presume there is no need for UEI to label the connectors.

Dave (3FG) christened the Nevo communication "CommHID" as it acts as a USB Human Interface Device. I christened the OARUSB04G communication "JPS", the S coming from the settings.bin file that it uses. It is seen by the USB port as a Mass Storage Device, so it appears as an external drive to the PC. However, it has only a partial implementation of the Mass Storage Device interface and supports the uploading and downloading of only one file, named settings.bin.

These are the names you will see in the Remote/Interface menu item of RMIR but they are not in general use. There don't seem to be enough USB remotes around for there to be a need to answer "what USB interface does it use?". On the whole we simply seem to refer to XSight clones and URC6440 (or OARUSB04G if you are that side of the ocean Smile ) clones.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, from an RM perspective, would you consider the OARUSB04G and the Nevo/XSight remotes to be the same, or is the standard USB cable the only similarity?

Vicky's nomenclature question is actually a good one and we should probably get a handle on it before UEI starts really making a lot of these remotes and things really get out of hand.

Given that we have used JP-something for all previous platforms, I would like to see a JP-something name for these. We could use something like JPUSB if we want to group them together, or something else if we want to group them separately.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Graham, from an RM perspective, would you consider the OARUSB04G and the Nevo/XSight remotes to be the same, or is the standard USB cable the only similarity?

The USB cable is the only similarity Crying or Very sad . There are in fact three very different interfaces. The XSight Touch/Colour (and Nevo clones) use the S3F80 processor and their internal data is stored as a series of structured files. The XSight Plus/Light use the MAXQ622 processor and their data is in an extension of the segment structure used in JP1.4/JP2 remotes. The communication interface for both is CommHID but that is where their similarity ends. The OARUSB04G also uses the MAXQ622 processor and a segment structure for its E2 area but it has a totally different communication interface. So it's all a rather mixed bag. I agree that we need better terminology than we have at present, but don't know what it should be.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly like to know which processor each type uses, as I know how to program S3C8/S3F8 but I don't now MAXQ622, so I would like them separated at least based on that.

Maybe we call them JPU-something where the "U" indicates that they come with their own USB cable, which is all that most end users will care about.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I would certainly like to know which processor each type uses.....
Thanks to tranx and mdavej, the Wiki has a very up-to-date listing of remotes, including the processors used in each.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The Robman wrote:
I would certainly like to know which processor each type uses.....
Thanks to tranx and mdavej, the Wiki has a very up-to-date listing of remotes, including the processors used in each.

Right, but what I mean is, if I tell you a remote is JP1, you know it's S3C8, if I say a remote is JP1.2, you know it's HCS08, etc so I when we divide up the USB remotes into different categories, I would like them to separated based on their processors in addition to the other criteria that Graham mentioned.
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Right, but what I mean is, if I tell you a remote is JP1, you know it's S3C8, if I say a remote is JP1.2, you know it's HCS08, etc so I when we divide up the USB remotes into different categories, I would like them to separated based on their processors in addition to the other criteria that Graham mentioned.

In the small wiki chart, the majority have pins/holes and use S3F80. I guess that the six which use mini-usb could also still be described as 'JP1.3', while there are five exceptions employing MAXQ610, and one listed as using MAX612 (and are they 'JP1.4'?). Perhaps it is the other, later, exceptions with micro-usb and MAXQ622 which could be the start of a larger series, which might require a fresh JP1 category?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: