JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM 2.03 Font Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobshults

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: RM 2.03 Font Size Reply with quote

I am trying to adjust the font size in RM to see it better on my high DPI laptop using Windows 10. I have increased the font size using Options>Font Size>Increase but each time I restart RM it reverts to the default font size. Is this normal operation or should it retain the new font size setting? Am I doing something wrong?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware of this option in RM until you mentioned it. I have looked into the code to see whether or not it is supposed to be preserved from one instance to the next. It looks to me as if this was the intention but that it was never implemented. I have now implemented this for the next build.

Note, however, that this option affects only RM, not RMIR. I have not looked into the practicability of implementing it in RMIR. I suspect that doing so consistently would be a substantially bigger task, as it has significantly more layers of substructure than RM.
bobshults

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this. I'm Looking forward to the next release so I can stop squinting.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded the .jar file for build 9 for you to test. Just replace the .jar file in build 8 with this one. Please report here whether it meets your need or not.
bobshults

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the modified .jar file. I tested it and I have some good news and some bad news. First, the good news. The mod had the intended consequence of allowing the font size to be increased and retained after an RM restart. However, now the bad news; the unintended consequence. After changing the font size and relaunching RM, the "Functions" tab and the "External Functions" tab could no longer be selected. Clicking on these tabs resulted in no response. Clicking the other tabs resulted in normal response. Returning the font size to default allowed normal tab selection. I noticed no other unintended consequences.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobshults wrote:
However, now the bad news; the unintended consequence. After changing the font size and relaunching RM, the "Functions" tab and the "External Functions" tab could no longer be selected.

This is not a consequence of the fix, as you will find it present in build 8 if you try to select the "Functions" tab after increasing the font size. After some time trying to find the bug and failing, I did a web search and have discovered that it is a bug in the Windows "Look and Feel". See this report dated May 2015 in the Java bug database, where it is still marked Unresolved.

You can avoid the problem by using the Options menu to change the Look and Feel. Even Windows Classic seems free of the bug, but Metal seems to be a nicer alternative.
bobshults

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! I now have larger fonts with full functionality. I tried both the "Metal" and "Windows Classic" look and feel and my personal preference is "Windows Classic". Thank you for the modified .jar fix and the Java bug workaround.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build 9, with this font size fix, was never officially released. It is instead included along with a number of other fixes in RMIR v2.03 build 10 that I have released today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: